AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2009, 09:20 PM

Overclocking an old AMD Barton 2500+ Cpu?

I've read a couple of articles on the internet about overlocking the AMD Barton 2500+ cpu. However when I try to increase ever so slightly and then restart my system I get beeping noises and it wont boot. Anyone know what this issue is?

I have the Abit NF7-S motherboard. I have an arctic cooler running at max 3500rpm. Temperatures are below 50°c for the cpu and 30°c for the system. When I try and increase the mhz even if it is just from 166 to 167 it wont let me reboot I get beeping unless I reset to default.

If I try and increase any of the other options e.g. voltage slightly or multiplier factor same thing. I am just trying to get the last bit of power out of this ancient beast before I build a new system this year.

Do you think it could be the memory I have in the system? I believe I've got 2x 512MB PC3200 400mhz memory modules in there.

Thanks,
John
Old 22nd March, 2009, 02:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Which NF7? The original or the NF7-SV2? The original was a great board, but from what I've heard, the V2 was basically junk from an overclocker's perspective.

The first NF7, though, could be a bit temperamental with memory, particularly the larger varieties. I had to buy some high-end Corsair memory to get to 200 MHz speeds with a pair 512M sticks, and I can't get mine to run over about 170 MHz for love nor money with the 1GB sticks I have now. What I'm saying is that it very well COULD be your RAM.

The two-tone siren that you are hearing is the motherboard telling you that something is jacked with your timings. What are your current memory timings?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th April, 2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Which NF7? The original or the NF7-SV2? The original was a great board, but from what I've heard, the V2 was basically junk from an overclocker's perspective.

The first NF7, though, could be a bit temperamental with memory, particularly the larger varieties. I had to buy some high-end Corsair memory to get to 200 MHz speeds with a pair 512M sticks, and I can't get mine to run over about 170 MHz for love nor money with the 1GB sticks I have now. What I'm saying is that it very well COULD be your RAM.

The two-tone siren that you are hearing is the motherboard telling you that something is jacked with your timings. What are your current memory timings?
there were three versions of the NF-7 that included the NF-7 SV2 and an NF-7-v2. there is a difference! the SV2 is pure crap for anything but out of the box stock settings.
I happen to have 2 of the NF-7-v2 and they overclock nicely. they are 400MHz fsb and DDR 400, 8X AGP, 2XSATA Raid plus the usual cast of extras. they need quality psu's and memory (I use Corsair XMS 2x256 or 2x512). mem timings are part of the key to oc this cpu/board combo and I have had no truble setting the fsb to 200MHz, multi to starting @ 10 with any of the 2400, 2500, 2600 Barton core cpu's. the a little voltage, 2.9V on the mem and as much as +.25V (+.5V on H2o).
I did have a Thorton core that didn't like any fsb over 170 but it was a 133MHz cpu. the v2 does oc, just not as good as the first NF-7

Ron

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 11th April, 2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: speeling, granmer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
amd , overclocking