AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th April, 2009, 12:19 PM

Question Perfect power/performance ratio for X2 7750 BE

Hey guys,

I have just got myself an Athlon X2 7750 BE and ASUS M3A78-T (790GX) mobo.

These are for my home fileserver, which lives in my bedroom. It must, therefore, be fast enough to deliver files quickly but also quiet enough to be bearable.

If anyone's interested, the server's full specs are as follows:

Lian-Li PC75 case,
PC P&C Turbo-Cool 860 Watt PSU,
ASUS M3A78-T,
Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition,
2x2GB PC2-6400 Gold Edition OCZ RAM,
2x1GB PC2-6400 Platinum Edition OCZ RAM,
LSI MegaRaid SAS 84016E with iBBU installed (16-port SAS/SATA RAID controller),
7x Samsung SpinPoint F1 in RAID-5+HS,
2x80GB Seagate Baracuda IDE drives in RAID-1 through Windows Dynamic Disks (OS drive, may replace with 2x500GB WD RE2 through the RAID controller in the near future),
Windows Server 2008 Standard x64.

I am running the stock CPU cooler at the moment.

I have already underclocked it significantly from 2.7GHz down to 1.8GHz using a 9x multi. This is to match the CPU clock and HT clock at 1.8GHz. RAM is running at 667MHz. I also under-volted the CPU from 1.45 to 1.15v in the BIOS. The temps dropped nicely, but the fans are still loud.

I am currently running BIOS 0701 as it was the most recent SLIC-modded one available and would obviously rather not update it.

Cool n Quiet is turned on, dynamically scaling the clock speed right down. It is presently sitting at 1350MHz on a 6.75 multi.

Do you guys have any advice on how to get the best performance from this CPU without warming it up?

I hope I posted this in the correct place. It's my first post, after all...

Thanks in advance, guys!

Sarah
Old 13th April, 2009, 07:08 PM

Arrow

Unfortunately, there is no middle ground on this really.
If you want Higher Performance then the heat, higher clock speeds & voltage go along with it.

Btw, Welcome to the AOA forums suggestable!
We got a great bunch here with TONS of Knowledge on just about anything computer related!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th April, 2009, 11:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I read that the newer Turbo-Cools from PC P&C are much quieter than the older Turbo-Cool PSU's. Is this a true story?
Old 15th April, 2009, 05:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Get a beefier a cooler such as the Thermaltake Typhoon VX 120mm. Near silent, replace case fans with quieter ones if you have any. Also you may want to consider a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W to lower the noise further.

BTW: Welcome!

BTW2: Gutsy server, have you looked into Sun's ZFS system?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2009, 02:20 AM

Really should have replied back sooner...

The primary goal for the server is power savings. That is why I bought the Phenom-type Athlon X2 with unlocked multipliers.

I am more interested in underclocking to reap the power savings than overclocking to burn yet more electricity.

As I said earlier, I am running 1.8 GHz CPU, 1.8GHz HT for maximum throughput. CnC is enabled to further reduce clock speed. Vcore is at 1.15V in the BIOS.

Has anyone else underclocked this CPU? I'd be really interested in what clock speeds you achieved and what your lowest stable voltage was.

My server uses all available CPU and GPU cycles to fold for Team 45. It appears that even when underclocked so much the system still churns out a fair number of WUs.

Cloaster: With the system fans turned down, the only noisy thing in the system is the CPU cooler. The PSU is barely audible. I think it's quieter than my old Hiper Type M 580W. It was only a year or so old, but I figured I should replace it with a more powerful PSU. Running a big one on low-drain should, in theory, be more efficient than running a small one on high-drain. I have no idea what my current power draw is for the server, but it's certainly nowhere near maximum drain for the PSU.

I remember hearing about AMD considering a new Athlon64-2000+ CPU around the time the Atom was launched. Benchmarks showed it ran brilliantly, despite being only a 1GHz part. Did this product ever get released? I'd be very interested in a dual-core version...

Thank you again for your feedback so far.

Happy clocking!

Sarah x

Tags
7750be , athlonx2 , kuma , m3a78-t , underclock