AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th May, 2010, 05:06 PM

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T stock fan or not

I don't have much experience with overclocking, other than with my Q6700 on an Intel D975XBX2 mobo, which I took to 3 Ghz with the stock fan that comes in Intel CPU retail boxes, and it was hitting close to 80C, which I didn't know if it was too hot or not, but when I posted about it in a forum they told me it was and that it would be better to go back to stock speed until I can get a good CPU cooler.

But now I'm planning on getting the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz on a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 mobo, and in all the reviews I've read for this processor it says that it can easily be taken up to 4 Ghz.

So my question is, if anybody here has the same CPU and has overclocked to 4 Ghz, do you really need a more expensive cooler, or the stock cooler is fine? And if you need another cooler, which one would you recommend? I'm a little confused by the choice of types that I see on newegg, some are vertical, some point towards the CPU, etc. Can you tell me what style is better, and what are the best brands?

Also, can I assume that a 850W Corsair power supply would be good enough for this? The system will be pushed quite a lot, not for games but for video editing and encoding to h.264. The RAM I'm planning on getting is a 16 GB g.skill DDR3 PC10666 set, the graphics card is my current one, a HIS Radeon 4850 with 1 GB of RAM. Other than that, there's three hard drives, 1 TB, 640 GB and 320 GB, and eventually I want to add two 1 or 2 TB drives in RAID mode.
Old 27th May, 2010, 05:21 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I have a Q6600 running now for years @ 3,5 Ghz. From my experience you always need a better cooler than stock to get the most out of the CPU. Thats why I bought a thermalright and a big 120 fan to keep it as cool as possible. If you really want to be an OC'er you have to give up on stock coolers! Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T stock fan or not-thermalright_ultra120_extreme_001.jpg  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2010, 08:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

But which aftermarket cooler to choose can be daunting. Any prospective chillers in mind, sebaz?
Old 2nd June, 2010, 08:02 AM
Steve Jobs

Thermalright do make rather good products, as chrisbard suggested, and I would definitely invest in something like that, especially if you're aiming at 4ghz or beyond on that six core chip.

The AMD stock coolers aren't up to the task of running at much in excess of stock speed. The power supply you're running there should be fine, I'm running a lot more than that on a corsair 620w.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2010, 04:54 PM

Arrow

WOW!!! 80c!!! That is Extremely HOT!!!
I'm surprised it didn't go into a thermal shutdown to prevent it from burning up!
Yea...you have to have better cooling to OC a quad...a must!

Considering that sebaz is going to be OCing a 6 core processor to 4GHz, I'd go with a BEAST of a cooler!
Xigmatek has come out with a H.D.T. cooler (Heat-pipe Direct Touch) to handle this too!
ccper is using one now & says it's great & is opinion is always respected when it comes to computer HW.

It's the Xigmatek S126384 “Thor’s Hammer” CPU Cooler!
This even beats out the Thermalright 120 Extreme & TRUE coolers in performance!
Review: Xigmatek Thor's Hammer HDT-S126384 Review - Overclockers Club

Newegg- $64.99 : Newegg.com - Xigmatek Intel Core i7 compatible THOR'S HAMMER HDT-S126384 CPU Cooler
Attached Thumbnails
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T stock fan or not-xigmatek_s123684_ang.jpg   AMD Phenom II X6 1090T stock fan or not-xigmatek_s123684_upside_down2.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 2nd June, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 2nd June, 2010, 06:17 PM

Actually I bought the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, which is gigantic, and it makes me worry a bit about its weight when the motherboard will stand vertical. I didn't know it was so big and heavy until I received it. I was told that it's not an issue, but I'm worried that it might eventually crack the motherboard. If I had a case where the motherboard stays horizontal it wouldn't worry me, but even with all the brackets that came with it, it's going to be basically hanging from the motherboard, pulling on the two screws that will stay on top and pushing into the motherboard on the two lower screws. Any opinions on this?

Also, in my case, a Cooler Master Elite 330, the copper parts that protrude from the aluminum heat sink will touch the side cover of the Elite when I put it back in. Should I cut a hole or improvise something to hold these parts? I would get a larger case, but I can't afford to spend any more money right now.
Old 2nd June, 2010, 06:30 PM
Steve Jobs

Back in the Socket A days, we used to hang massive heatsinks off three, or in some cases, even one plastic lug on either side of the socket. The manufacturers of those heatsinks are aware of the fact that CPU coolers are mounted vertically, and if you follow the instructions that come with it, you will not have any issues with damage to the motherboard.

With all current CPUs all having integrated heat spreaders on their surface, and motherboard makers aware of the coolers currently on the market, you really don't have to worry about it. Motherboards are actually a lot stronger than they look, especially when the proper mounting hardware is used correctly.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 2nd June, 2010, 06:33 PM
Steve Jobs

Are the copper bits actually protruding such that the case won't close, or are they just touching the side panel when it's shut?

If its just touching, I wouldn't worry.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 2nd June, 2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Are the copper bits actually protruding such that the case won't close, or are they just touching the side panel when it's shut?

If its just touching, I wouldn't worry.
Just touching.
Old 2nd June, 2010, 06:53 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaz View Post
Just touching.
Yeap, go for it then.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 4th June, 2010, 03:43 PM

Nice, they are some serious looking coolers.
Old 8th September, 2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
WOW!!! 80c!!! That is Extremely HOT!!!
I'm surprised it didn't go into a thermal shutdown to prevent it from burning up!
Yea...you have to have better cooling to OC a quad...a must!

Considering that sebaz is going to be OCing a 6 core processor to 4GHz, I'd go with a BEAST of a cooler!
Xigmatek has come out with a H.D.T. cooler (Heat-pipe Direct Touch) to handle this too!
ccper is using one now & says it's great & is opinion is always respected when it comes to computer HW.

It's the Xigmatek S126384 “Thor’s Hammer” CPU Cooler!
This even beats out the Thermalright 120 Extreme & TRUE coolers in performance!
Review: Xigmatek Thor's Hammer HDT-S126384 Review - Overclockers Club

Newegg- $64.99 : Newegg.com - Xigmatek Intel Core i7 compatible THOR'S HAMMER HDT-S126384 CPU Cooler
You think that's bad?
I had a 98 hp that had a athlon xp 3100+ cpu in it.
Everything was stock on it, and it ran 95 c all day long.
With as5 on the cpu.

It was crazy, then a buddy wanted me to put as5 on his core2 duo.
So i checked his temp before it was 75c.
Then after it was 45c, And stayed there for over an hour before it went up 1 or 2 c.
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
Memory: 8 Gb's of Kingston Hyperx 1333 DDR3
Case: Xion Solaris Black/Green ATX Mid-Tower