AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2012, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vash

Need help OCing with AMD A8-3870K + ASRock A75M-ITX

Just finished building this thing a few days ago, and wanted to OC before I posted pics of the install.. (which installation went nearly perfect)

I have experience OCing with the Socket A's and which Multiply x the FSB and it gives you the overall clocked (and PCI Bus is locked) and then you just adjust voltages accordingly.

I built and OCed a AM3 system for my sister and it was the same formula.. except there was a North Bridge Frequency right? Which for her motherboard was around 2000Mhz, so after overclocking, I had to throw on a divider to get somewhere in-between stock NB clock frequency.

SOOOOOO now fast forward 2 more years, and I just recently built myself a FM1 socket system. So it looks like its roughly the same... but.. whenever I move the clock speeds just a BIT, it seems to fail windows load.. However when i OC using the manufacture software (not bios) it seems to work.. but ends up being unstable and crashing (with software overclocking i can change from the stock 3.0Ghz to up to 3.7Ghz)

However when i use the bios to overclock.. it seems so unstable i can't even get windows 7 to load up.

Here pictures of my bios screen.. not sure if there are other options to use to overclocking, I have the most up-to-date drivers from ASRock (it came like that stock.. i never flashed the bios before)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...2/IMG_0650.jpg

now heres the tab i changed from auto to manual to set cpu voltages and multiplyer.. also it has the NB frequency and volts.. from my assumption.. i thought I all had to worry about was CPU multiplyer and voltages... the rest I could leave stock.. am I wrong here? the NB Frequencies tab allows me to change it from 228Mhz-900Mhz.. I have no clue what the stock settings are because I don't see it in the CPU-Z like I did with the AM3 system I built... but when I drop the tab down it is defaulted at 720Mhz.. so Iam guessing its stock at 720?
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...2/IMG_0652.jpg

my real concerned is about the NB frequency.. because i don't see it ANYWHERE on the CPU-Z like I did when i OCed the AM3.... are these NB frequencies locked now or something? or do I still need to worry about setting this when I overclock?? Because I don't see it anywhere in the CPU-Z to even know if it has gone up when I change the frequencies.. heres my CPU-Z:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...UZstockCPU.jpg

Anyways.. i consider my attempts at overclocking so far a disaster! I would be happy if I could just OC it a little bit from stock.. 3.0Ghz.. I would be happy if I could hit 3.2Ghz+ I was really hoping to see 3.5Ghz or 3.9Ghz reading from reviews and other members and reviews from retailing online stores.. but it looks like I can't even get past 3.1Ghz...
Old 10th May, 2012, 11:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I think I read somewhere that this processor isn't at all happy with OCing. Could be wrong, though.