AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th May, 2002, 12:51 PM

is 300w enough?

is 300w enough for light xp and video ocing. I also have 256Mb of ram, 2 scsi hds, 2 case fans and a volcano 7, as well as a kt266a mobo. Is 300w enough?
Old 6th May, 2002, 01:12 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

It should be enough, but it leaves you very little room in the area of expansion.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th May, 2002, 02:43 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

That depends on the particular mobo you are using, and also the quality of the 300w. All 300w PSUs are NOT the same. With an AMD system, you need a lot of power in the 5v line. How much depends on the mobo. Also, quality PSUs will be able avoid spikes and such better under stress.

A quality 300w PSU should be enough... but it depends on quite a few factors.
Old 6th May, 2002, 02:49 PM

Why are you asking, if your about to go and buy a new PSU to get thisrig going or somethin, don'y buy a 300W. Go bigger now because you will need to soon. I assume that SCSI hard drive consume a whole load of power, and overall I think you might want a 350(ish)W PSu to keep all that happy. Persnally I just picked up a 470W PSU to go with an Athlon 1.4@1.6Ghz, I'm pushing the ram, vieo and CPu hard and have dvd, 3hd's, loads fo fans. audigy and network, and I run at 1000%load all day(folding and Seti).

For this i obviously don't need a 470W but it goves me options for future and if i get a watercooling system soon as i want I can run a TEC off it hopefully.
Old 9th May, 2002, 01:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by drunken_master
Why are you asking, if your about to go and buy a new PSU to get thisrig going or somethin, don'y buy a 300W. Go bigger now because you will need to soon. I assume that SCSI hard drive consume a whole load of power, and overall I think you might want a 350(ish)W PSu to keep all that happy. Persnally I just picked up a 470W PSU to go with an Athlon 1.4@1.6Ghz, I'm pushing the ram, vieo and CPu hard and have dvd, 3hd's, loads fo fans. audigy and network, and I run at 1000%load all day(folding and Seti).

For this i obviously don't need a 470W but it goves me options for future and if i get a watercooling system soon as i want I can run a TEC off it hopefully.
a typical tec big enough to cool an AMD system runs at 24V.
Old 9th May, 2002, 03:27 AM

Most ones sold in the UK from overclocker type stores are suppose to be run at 15v to get max output, you can also get 24v off a normal psu if you want to , You connect the positive lead of the tec to a 12v molex and the negative linked into the -12v line going into mobo.
Old 9th May, 2002, 05:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Well.... Perhaps the Amperage available to the -12v rail of the PS is not important. But I know that I'd never "get" +24 volts that way. Unless it was for a component with a tiny need for power.

I may be wrong about this! I flunked out of EE "school" only three days into the semester. The ignominy!
Old 9th May, 2002, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

i could be wrong about this since it's off the top of my head, but doesn't the -12V rail only put off half an amp?
Old 9th May, 2002, 10:03 AM

Yeah, but the 12v line on PSU has a shed load of current. I know people that have done it but you still need a motha of a PSU to get this to work. Your average 400W PSU has 20A on 12v line and a big TEC cn sap up 24a easy, Thats the biggest problem with them. From what I remember(could be totally wrong, tryig to remember from article) I think it will only draw current off the positive line, the negative 12v just has enough current to keep eveything ticking.
Old 9th May, 2002, 11:33 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

ok, i got a sparkle 400 watt. i.e. a good PSU...

15 amps on 12V
0.8 amps on -12v

so a 24v TEC would blow the PSU to bits

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2002, 12:45 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

A 24V TEC connected across the +12v and -12V doesn't tend to work.

Electrons like going around in circles, which is what a circuit is. If you put 10 electrons in, you'll pretty much get 10 electrons out. The PSU is nothing but a big electron pump. The different voltages are just different "pressures" of electrons. Negative voltages are just the pump sucking rather than pushing. The ground (0v) is just the reservoir of electrons for things to run back to (or out of, if there's a negative voltage...).

When you connect your TEC to both the +12V and -12V lines, you're completing the circuit, so electrons are pumped out of one line, and circulate through the TEC to be sucked back into the other line. Each electron that comes out of one line has to go back into the other.

So, if your TEC draws 12A from the +12V line, then that 12A also has to go back into the -12V line. Generally a quick way to kill your PSU, as it can only handle ~1A on the -12V line.
Old 9th May, 2002, 06:13 PM

I dunno, its just i know a couple of people have tried it and its worked. As i said most TECs available for specific CPU use are built to work well at 12 and max out at 15v so they work well off a good 12v line anyhow. they happen to also use a 24v TEC but got it from and electronics company, most people who use them get 15 or 12v ones.

As for My ROLYDOG, i don't think hes coming back anyway.

You can get 255W Tecs that run at 15v and so get about 205W out of it at 12v but as i said before they eat up ampage, this one is at 24a. So like i said you need a motha of a supply, the 400W Antec despite being very good wouldn't be able to run this anyway. 205W is also more than enough to cool a AMD, and AMD chip to sub zero temps. I have seen one crazy mofo with two of these on a dangerden 2.2 but it fried his PSU before windows could boot, also froze themselves to the socket and he had to wait 30 mins before he could get them off. I think he might be a little insane though!!!