AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st April, 2013, 02:51 AM

Trying to install SATA drive on ASUS A8V Deluxe mb and hitting brick wall.

My workhorse machine just died (not yet clear exactly why) and I got another machine running and ready to take over, but needs additional storage. It's only been used previously with a couple PATA drives and it works great with them, but I'm crunching video and need much greater storage.

I just bought a 2TG Barracuda, installed it on one of the Asus A8V Deluxe Promise controller two SATA ports and all I get is an XP SP2 "device manager" alert that the interface isn't operating, though I've tried the latest driver and BIOS on Asus site (and both ports) and nothing changes. I've also tried installing the drive on both the two VIA South Bridge ports, but the BIOS reports no device detected. I changed to the latest driver, but status remains the same. I finally swapped in a 500GB SATA drive that's been working fine on another PC, but that isn't detected either.

My expectation is I'm doing something dumb with the drive/interface configuration in the BIOS, but I can't think of anything else to try. Any ideas?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 21st April, 2013 at 02:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2013, 05:23 AM

Problem solved! Took some ten hours to get there, but turns out the driver the Promise controller needed wasn't signed and so until I held the "Wizard's" hand, it insisted on another as being the best fit. Had to pull the one off the original driver disc, which I tried hours ago, but I didn't hold its hand. Still can't get the VIA Southbridge SATA ports to function, but all I need is two, so this is good enough. (Going to take a long time now to transfer the files from two 500GB drives to the new 2TG )

If anybody has any tips on getting those VIA VT8237 Southbridge SATA ports working, I'm all ears.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!