AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th May, 2013, 11:14 PM

How to boot from a SATA DVD/CD drive on an ASUS A8V Deluxe?

Having learned the ASUS A8V Deluxe MB VT8237 SB SATA controller supports a DVD/CD drive, my next question is how to accomplish booting from it. The problem is the MB BIOS allows only the primary and secondary parallel port devices and floppy to be selected for boot. I presume the solution is to prepare a floppy that contains the necessary files to transfer boot to the SATA optical drive, but I don't know what files need to be installed (no doubt some need to be drivers). If anybody has experience with this, please lend a hand.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 11th May, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th May, 2013, 08:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Can you bring up a boot selection menu...usually available by hitting F3 or F5 or in my case these days F8 at start up... My Asus Sabertooth is terrible at giving me the boot selection menu so try each several times...

Also do you have a "preferred hard Drive boot order" Choice in you BIOS?

Good luck!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th May, 2013, 10:51 PM

Hiya Dan,

The BIOS boot section has a hard drive list that can be reordered, and a boot priority list containing floppy, optical, and the top-dog hard drive. In my main system I've a total of 4 optical drives, USB, FireWire, and two on the Secondary MB parallel port. Only the Master on the parallel port is listed as a boot option, no others. Judging from what I see on my gamer (same MB and BIOS), a VT8237 SATA optical drive doesn't get listed either, despite there being no other optical drive in the system. However, a Promise controller SATA IDE drive does appear in the hard drive list and can be selected for boot.

Hmm! I wonder if that VT8237 SATA bootrom would make a difference, seems a possibility ...! Darn, just tried it and no dice, the drive still doesn't appear as a boot option and there's no other optical on the system! Just let the boot complete and verified the drive really is being detected and the answer is yes, plus it just auto-played a CD, definitely working normally. Apparently, the VT8237 drivers do indeed have to be installed before an attached optical drive becomes visible.

Guess I'll have to move it to the rebuilt machine again to verify behavior is consistent.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 12th May, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 13th May, 2013, 06:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If you can't get it to work...it won't be because you didn't try! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 15th May, 2013, 07:51 AM

Well, my neighbor is thinking about building a midrange gamer and so I lent him my rebuild as a point reference to help identify what he really needs. So, I won't be able to cross-check the VT-8237 behavior at least for awhile, but I can say the SATA optical drive behavior on my 2GB dual boot (Win98SE/WinXP) is looking very good. I ended up copying the 98SE CD files to the C: drive, so during 98SE install, it's not necessary to boot from CD.

I may be able to do something like that for the XP install as well, but it's the 98SE system with the 2GB DRAM compatibility problem that's been the issue, not XP, so I'm in no rush. Hopefully, I'll learn something helpful from the VIA people on the VIA Forums. If I do, I'll pass it on.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE