AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th June, 2013, 04:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You will not be disappointed with you SSD, there's no going back after you've had one.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th June, 2013, 03:14 AM

I almost bought two, one for each of my current build activities, but decided to hold back and get experience with the one first. Plan to install it with a pair of 3-1/2" to 5-1/4" brackets in the upper drive cage. Just hoping it solves my problem.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th June, 2013, 04:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

If your problem is slow hard drive response... you won't be disappointed!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd July, 2013, 12:01 AM

Unfortunately, my problem is appearing excessive current draw from the PS. I'm thinking a switch from a current thirsty HDD to a current thrifty SSD should tell the story. To be seen !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 2nd July, 2013, 10:49 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

if you want to save power you won't be disappointed...SSD's don't disappoint! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 10th July, 2013, 05:53 AM

The second Sandisk 64GB SSD and 2.5" to 3.5" bracket have arrived, so I'll have to see what their effect is on my FX4300 setup. Here's hoping for a robust response to the CPU clock. Too bad it requires re-install of the Win7 64bit system !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 10th July, 2013, 06:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You might like Mint 15 64 bit better...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 17th July, 2013, 06:30 AM

Will get there ! Currently engaged in leveling my sidewalk blocks in hopes of satisfying my local city government (seems like there's always something )!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 17th July, 2013, 05:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A needful thing, no doubt! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 17th September, 2013, 01:45 AM

Sidewalk nice and level again, and very pleased with the 64GB Sandisk SSD in my 4300FX machine. Still had to fritz some with the Antec Trio 650W PS wiring in order to enable boot, but it's OK now and boot is much quicker. Strange thing is the PS includes two power cables with two SATA power connectors each, but neither is actually able to support two, just one each. I had to use Molex to SATA adapters to power the others -- the Molex power cables seem fine.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 17th September, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 18th September, 2013, 04:28 AM

FWIW -- am really enjoying my new 4300FX core machine. I just press the power button and it does the job. What more can I ask?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 18th September, 2013, 05:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

OH! I know this one! You could ask for a Linux OS that doesn't try to make money off you! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd September, 2013, 10:03 AM

My neighbor just gave me an Intel Pentium 4 machine and I'm thinking it could be a good back up for my AMD mobile machines. Will probably bring it up in not too long ! I've no problem with running a machine that fell short against the AMD Athlon 64 2X onslaught! Unfortunately, it's difficult to stand firm against an onslaught of illegal marketing by a large firm (Intel) against a small firm (AMD) ! My inclination remains with AMD !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 23rd September, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 26th October, 2013, 05:52 AM

The Intel Pentium4 system is running well as an internet access PC. I've installed it dual boot, WinXP sp2 and Mint 14.1. Look forward to my edification, am willing to learn!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 26th October, 2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 1st November, 2013, 04:21 AM

hi,
I am a fan of AMD cpu's, nVidia video cards, winXP and win7. Linux Mint is my choice for non win OS.
that said, all my F@H is currently handled by NVidia under win7. I don't possess the skills for WOW or FPS games. I can't do two things at once and that includes thinking and moving around in a fast paced game where my Avatar dies. I play Chess! no drain on the vid card as it crunches F@H.
the AMD/Raedon vs Intel/NVidia could cloud my future. at 66yoa, I'm not inclined to seek further knowledge related to the inner workings of all things computer. I'm learning to forget that which I don't need to know.
keep up the good work with the building of new hardware. I know I will as my new 990FXA awaits an 8 core cpu to go with the 2X660Ti vid cards. and I will need a Mint box with an older? core duo? Mint doesn't love any of my quad AMD's. works well enough for what I need, not all of what I want!

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 1st November, 2013, 05:04 AM

hi,
I am a fan of AMD cpu's, nVidia video cards, winXP and win7. Linux Mint is my choice for non win OS.
that said, all my F@H is currently handled by NVidia under win7. I don't possess the skills for WOW or FPS games. I can't do two things at once and that includes thinking and moving around in a fast paced game where my Avatar dies. I play Chess! no drain on the vid card as it crunches F@H.
the AMD/Raedon vs Intel/NVidia could cloud my future. at 66yoa, I'm not inclined to seek further knowledge related to the inner workings of all things computer. I'm learning to forget that which I don't need to know.
keep up the good work with the building of new hardware. I know I will as my new 990FXA awaits an 8 core cpu to go with the 2X660Ti vid cards. and I will need a Mint box with an older? core duo? Mint doesn't love any of my quad AMD's. works well enough for what I need, not all of what I want!

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 9th July, 2014, 06:03 AM

Hmm! Seems my Photobucket photos are still alive, yet I can't log on to Photobucket??? Weird!

In any case, made further changes to my ZEOS case server ! Purchased a used XFX Radeon "Core" 7850 1GB via Ebay and installed it for purpose of adding 1024 shaders with hope of accelerating video rendering. The good is that the card seems to work well (good gaming benchmark scores), but I had to pull my PCI Firewire card since the 7850 is dual slot and there was no room for its fan to breath (replaced it with a PCIe). The two optical drive ATA ribbon cables are also a breathing issue, so I removed the fan-adjacent rear slot cover to allow direct external air draw. Ran gaming benchmarks including "Heaven" and found I could boost the GPU under-load clock to 1GHz with 74C occasional peak (stock max 860MHz w/ 69C peak), left the GDDR5 at 1.2 GHz.

Turned out that video card was the longest I could have installed given the floor mounted hard drive cage, leaves just enough gap for reasonable install of the 6 pin power cable. Was lucky on that! Also replaced the fixed full speed exhaust fan at the case top rear with a PWM fan connected to the board "Chassis Fan" header (BIOS controlled 4 pin, required a 12" extender) -- as the CPU heats, both CPU and top exhaust fans pick up.

Last change was as a server, at 10.5 TB, I was running out of file storage space, so I installed additional drives in an external four drive Vantek Nexstar HX4 cabinet and added a USB 3.0 PCIe card (two sockets on board, but wanted additional flexibility.) That's all my usable expansion card slots, but it's looking pretty good. Oh yes, had a couple extra G Skill 2GB DDR3 1600 cards (came out of the memory speed upgraded HTPC) and so I installed them as well making a total of 8GB. Not that I ever found 4GB a hindrance, but I've no other use for it and so why not -- perhaps it'll make a difference with video crunching.

Speaking of which, I just ordered a reasonably priced FX 8320 via Ebay and have in mind to use it for video crunching. Main problem I'm running into so far is lack of video rendering software that supports Radeon GPU acceleration (a real bummer, needs OpenCL support). Still, an eight core cpu should help in absence of that, video crunching apps being famously multi-threaded. Issue of greatest interest with the FX 8320 is CPU cooling. I plan to use a standard 125W AMD HSF (currently installed on the FX 4300) and am hoping the combination of 120mm low front intake fan, 80mm Antec PSU fan, 80mm top exhaust fan, and center rear I/O panel cutout "intake" will keep CPU temp under control. To be seen!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 10th July, 2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 9th July, 2014, 09:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Congratulations, well done. Hope your cooling setup works well!
Old 10th July, 2014, 03:27 AM

Thanks man !

The existing HSF holds the fully loaded FX 4300 to 52C peak with fans targeted for 50C and level 5, and so hopefully, with a modest increase in temp and fan target it'll be able to hold the FX 8320. If not, I'll just have to upgrade the HSF, but at stock clocks, I don't think that should be needed.

By the way, didn't mention it earlier, but I installed the MS Win7 Hot-Fixes that cause the scheduler to more optimally dispatch tasks for AMD Bulldozer architecture. Default dispatching assigns one task per core first and then multi-threads further tasks, whereas Bulldozer generally works best assigning one task per module first and then further tasks to the remaining cores (each module containing two cores). From reading and personal use, can't say it makes a huge difference, but can be helpful. The reason it can be a factor is that Bulldozer shares certain resources between the two module cores, max independence being one task per module. However, if two tasks share data, a single module can be beneficial due to cache behavior. This isn't something the MS dispatcher is designed to evaluate.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 10th July, 2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10th July, 2014, 10:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Mighty generous of MS to acknowledge the fact that AMD processors exist. Remind me to send a note of extreme gratitude to... who was that? 52C sounds a bit toasty, but as Sgt Schulz use to say "I know nossink," and that's the truth!

Tags
new build