AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th July, 2014, 01:46 AM

Guess it depends on what you're used to. I "grew up" thinking it best to avoid exceeding 65C on the CPU and have always used air cooling. My thinking is neighborhood 52C in a very warm room (>90F) with all cores fully loaded (98-100% CPU according to Win7 "Task Manager") is pretty reasonable. The machine's more typical job is file serving which translates pretty much into idle temps.

Of course, FX4300 TDP is 95W and FX8320 is 125W, a fair bit higher than Intel's offerings. That's part of the trade-off between the product lines. I'm hoping I can hold the FX8320 to under 10C more with 100% load. Of course, to be seen !

Next Day: I tried adjusting the settings with full rendering load. Found that with the CPU temp targeted to 48C and fan level 6, then the BIOS could hold it to 49C, but with much higher fan revs resulting in much greater fan noise. I think my current setting is near enough right for the FX4300. Will just have to see what a good trade-off is with the FX8320 -- not eager to spend on after market fan assemblies for a non-clocked install.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 12th July, 2014 at 05:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th July, 2014, 01:12 AM

The FX8320 arrived and is installed, but am having to make adjustments. The top rear 80mm case fan is too small and so I'm bumping it to 120mm, reinstalled the fixed speed 80mm to help hold the fort. According to the AMD Overdrive utility, the core temps are a little over 66C under sustained full load (rendering). I figure the 88F room ambient isn't helping, but the HSF fan is running full tilt. I'll see if I can make the HS compound just a smidgeon thinner (Arctic Silver) and see how much the larger PWM exhaust fan helps.

As far as performance, it appears to have cut a 13.5hr FX4300 render back to around 6 hours. Pretty much what I was hoping to see.

=============================LATER================ ==================

Reduced the HSF side compound back to the "tint", lifted the low front intake fan speed a little and AMD Overdrive reports the core temps a little over 63C under extended render load. Will hang for now and see what effect the ordered 120mm exhaust fan has. Given the machine will only occasionally be used for rendering and summer only lasts three months, I'm not sure there's really a problem at this point, but it's clear that processor generates some heat !

PS. Noticed that if I crunch 100% load with the case cover off, the core temps drop by some 5 to 6C! Wondering if replacing that upper fan will help that or whether it's mostly an intake issue?

=============================YET LATER=================================

Have come to realize the Asrock mainboard temp reports are heavily over stated (referring back to the FX4300 52C), but am not clear the "AMD Overdrive" temps are not under stated. A slippery situation! Am not observing any thermal throttling and so suspect the AMD temps are most reliable (the Asrock temps appearing fantasy.) I'm guessing somewhere betwixt the two are reasonable approximations of reality, just not sure where!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 14th July, 2014 at 06:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th July, 2014, 12:35 AM

Spent a pile of time searching for info and have learned socket measured temps are hopeless for determining loaded cpu core temps (typically 7-10C too high). Given it also thinks my open case board idle temp is ~45C and cpu idle temp is ~52C I'd say those sensors are next to worthless, at least 10C too high. Turns out "AMD Overdrive" provides a very accurate representation of core heating under load conditions, with accuracy failing below 45C. Seems the core temps are calculated from the thermal margin between current load conditions and designed thermal limit.

So currently, with case open and full rendering load, I'm seeing core temps of 57-58C in my very warm room. If I close the case, the core temps go up to 63-64C. AMD's specific recommendation (not a spec) is for 24/7 usage, 61C should be max. Well, my video crunching is far from 24/7 so I'll see how I make out improving case cooling.

============================LATER================= ==============

Downloaded and installed the latest "AMD Overdrive" utility and it now actually reports the cores in terms of remaining thermal margin instead of temp. At idle it's reporting neighborhood 50C and under full load about 13C. Ought to be able to bring down the closed case CPU temp a little bit more, but it appears margin is not a problem. Probably why I didn't observe any throttling behavior (all BIOS overheat protections are enabled).
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 15th July, 2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 17th July, 2014, 12:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Glad that you're fighting the good fight! It sounds like you are taking care of the temps really well, excellent! Looking at the wonderfulness of an unspoken Middle Eastern country's actions it appears that my next box will have to sport an AMD processor.

Tags
new build