AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd November, 2013, 09:44 AM

Looking at building an APU based theater PC

I've never had a home theater PC, never really had the need, but since I'm getting to have a fair number of media files on my "server", seems like it would be a good idea to tie it into my big screen somehow. I've got a few older PCs around, but I'm suspecting for 1280p, none of my AGP cards would be able to accelerate the modern codecs and I know they don't support HDMI.

That leaves either buying a PCIe mainboard, processor, and probably an HD 7750 video card, or going with an FM2 mATX board and APU -- a cheaper solution. So, seems a good opportunity to get my feet wet with APUs !

Just ordered a used A6-5400K Trinity which I think should be fine for movie playback through 1280p (not 4000p). Am looking at the affordable Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3 and ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ which allow eventual upgrade to Kaveri. So, that would get me in for about $200 including 4GB DDR3 1600 and a refurb hard drive. Course, I also need to figure out where to put the darned thing and how to connect it to my LAN, but seems an interesting project.

Any inputs/suggestions from people who've installed home theater PC's?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 23rd November, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2013, 03:52 PM
AOA Staff

For LAN, have you looked at using a Powerline adapter?
Newegg.com - TP-LINK TL-PA2010KIT AV 200Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit

Better than running cables through the house, and enough bandwidth for video.
Old 23rd November, 2013, 06:59 PM

Not bad, and a reasonable price! Not sure whether I'd want to keep that form of connection (I like the security of hardwire), but would certainly be flexible while trying things out and finalizing layout. Just dropped one in my basket -- thanks !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2013, 03:47 PM

Finished building the HTPC Friday. It's a micro ATX board in a micro ATX case and has piles of space inside, almost cute ! Came up pretty quickly, just two errors to correct. At power on the CPU fan wasn't starting because I'd misaligned the connector when plugging it in. The power on and HDD activity LED's weren't operating since I had the connectors backwards. Instead of installing the HSF provided with the A6 APU, I installed one intended for 95W FX series processors, it's about twice as tall for double the fin area (installed my 95W FX processors with 125W HSF w/ heat pipes -- want 'em cool.) Last time I checked, closed case APU temp was 27C with board temp 18C and room temp 14C (57F).

Ended up going dual boot with Win7 Ultimate 64bit in the first 20GB of the 250GB HDD, Mint 15 64bit in the final ~28GB, and the center ~200GB shared access FAT32. Do have a question regarding Mint. I installed a video card after the OS's and for Win7 that just meant I needed to run the install utilities! However, I don't see an analogous approach for Mint. Do I have to reformat the Mint partitions and reinstall to pick up whatever drivers Mint has for the Sound Blaster X-FI card? I'm thinking yes!

By the way, as indicated earlier, I've installed 4GB DDR3 1600. Given I plan to use this only for feeding media to a screen (no gaming), is there any good reason for bumping it to 8GB? Think I read some place that 4GB is fine for an HTPC.

PS. Reinstalled Mint 15 to make sure whatever drivers it had for my Creative Sound Blaster hardware were installed.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 7th December, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 8th December, 2013, 01:42 AM

As luck would have it, turns out the Creative audio card is defective (RMA assigned). Guess that tends to be what "refurb" means, clean up and repackage in hope of the next sap not noticing. Still, the installed HDD is also a refurb and it's working fine thus far (WD Blue 250GB, 720rpm, SATA3, 16MB cache.) As usual, there's something somewhere that doesn't quite work out !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 8th December, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 13th December, 2013, 12:56 AM
AOA Staff

Good call running Win 7 and Mint 15.
I run Win 7 and Mint 14... loving it!

No reason to get 8 Gigs of RAM unless you need it. RAM is cheap so it won't hurt.

Sucks the audio card is defunct! I hope the new one works in Windows and Linux
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 13th December, 2013, 02:12 AM

Think I'm going to have to try 14.1 instead (14.1 32bit seems OK on my Pentium 4). 15 appears to be having troubles with the AMD A6 video, peculiar artifacts on screen, unless it's a 64bit Vs 32bit flaw. I'll have to try 64bit 14 and see what happens, yet another DVD burn !

Don't think there's probably a need for 8GB with a plain Jane HTPC (still trying to learn). I bought 8GB ddr3 1600 at a great price from NewEgg a couple weeks ago and now I'm trying to figure out why ?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 13th December, 2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 13th December, 2013, 01:41 PM
AOA Staff

Yeah, or try Mint 16
You don't have to burn a DVD, they run and install just fine with USP flash drive.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 20th December, 2013, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the USB suggestion, something else for my box of tricks ! I tried 14.1 and 16 (both 64bit) in Live mode and the problem remains, though 16 did a little better. The problem is that when I select the 'Menu' icon at bottom left, the window opens and I can select from the left side icons, but aside from the 'Accessories' button, the rest of the window content at best flashes, can't select anything. Also some streaks in the window. The only improvement with 16 was that the icons across the bottom tool bar were normal appearing, with 14.1 and 15 they're just splotches. Booted 16 Live on my FX4300 machine and it looked and behaved normal so they're just not fully APU compatible.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 20th December, 2013, 11:22 PM
AOA Staff

I just learned something new about Mint and Desktop Managers.
If you have older hardware, make sure to use Mint KDE Desktop Environment.
Otherwise Cinnamon is fine for modern hardware.

I was trying to install Mint 16 on an old Dell machine and Cinnamon crashed every time.
But KDE runs just fine.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 21st December, 2013, 05:20 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I know it's fun to build your own system and do all kinds of cool stuff with it, but if you just want a device that will play streamed media and just about anything you can throw at it, spend the $100 and get a Western Digital Live (live will stream from the network) media player. I have just a regular one (no streaming from the network) and I FREAKING love the thing. Just plug in a usb and it will play what ever is on it. Photo's, video's, and music. It just works and hooks up via HDMI.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 21st December, 2013, 06:46 PM
AOA Staff

Thats cool! I didn't know about the WD Live. Is it kinda like a small NAS?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 21st December, 2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the idea, the WD TV Live looks a pretty neat box, small size, decent price, includes a remote (I ordered a sale Rosewill Win7/8 remote a week ago for my HTPC -- hope it works.) However, spent a little time reading Newegg reviews and am not comfortable with the complaints. Think I may actually be safer staying with my HTPC and VLC, but don't know for sure yet.

Just got the new receiver working with the rest of the HT a couple days ago (still working on the main speaker cables, 22ft homemade buggers) and still have to try the power line LAN connection and using the HTPC to source the receiver. There's noticeable fan noise, so I think I'm going to move the rear fan ("Power") to the front fan header ("Case") since that one provides speed control. It shouldn't need much cooling in this job. Lot of things to test yet, see how far I get this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
Sucks the audio card is defunct! I hope the new one works in Windows and Linux
Newegg reported receipt and acceptance of my RMA shipment Wednesday, but then Friday informed me of a refund. Guess they didn't have any more refurbed cards to send out. Still, the on-board Realtek sound is actually pretty good, and given I plan to use HDMI anyway, it probably won't be necessary. Does seem a little strange though not having a quality audio card in a media PC -- like something's missing. OTOH, doesn't hurt to have the $80 back in my checking account, it's been mostly outflow for awhile.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 21st December, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 22nd December, 2013, 12:00 AM
AOA Staff

Cool, let us know how HDMI works for you.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd December, 2013, 09:13 AM

Cobbled it together tonight and suprisingly enough, everything works perfectly except the Win7 Desktop/VLC is slightly too large resulting in about 1/2-3/4" being cropped all the way round the 50" screen (interferes with navigation). According to the Control Panel, picture resolution is correctly set to 1080p and changing the TV image dimensions mode away from "FULL" makes it worse. Don't think there's any cropping of disc player video, at least, not apparent to me yet. Any idea what would cause this? Is there usually a trim adjustment somewhere to correct it?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 22nd December, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 23rd December, 2013, 07:17 AM

Appears the problem was entirely due to TV overscan. Upon TV Menu correction, the Win7 Desktop ceased to be cropped. Much better !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 23rd December, 2013, 07:20 PM
AOA Staff

Awesome! Thanks for posting how you fixed it.
I would never have known it was TV overscan...

I have a pet-peeve with widescreen televisions because of all the different ratio's floating around out there.

It really sucks because I finally broke down and got a widescreen, but now I have black bars for almost every movie and TV show.

Somehow I was hoping widescreen televisions would have fixed this by now, but movies come in 16:10 and 16:9. I'm pretty sure my TV is 16:9 so all the 16L:10 movies have horizontal black bars.
Of course all the older TV shows are in 4:3 so I have no control over those.
But geesh, can we pick a standard?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 23rd December, 2013, 09:13 PM

As a film fan, black bars are normal to me. Films range from 1.37:1 (Academy Ratio) to 2.76:1. Many films are 1.85:1, normally being matted Academy. 16:9 is purely a compromise and usually only correct for HDTV broadcast or films that have been deliberately re-framed from the intended AR to 16:9 -- meaning that director intended film content has been discarded -- a no-no for a true film fan. My guess is the only movies that are genuinely 16:9 are those intended for HDTV broadcast.

widescreen.org - The Letterbox and Widescreen Advocacy Page
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 23rd December, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 23rd December, 2013, 09:33 PM
AOA Staff

That figures...
I would just like my whole screen to be filled with beautiful graphics instead of being smaller than intended.

I also have a projector and project my movies on a much larger screen. Letterbox doesn't bother me as much on that.

I would rather letterbox than cutting off content too, that is extremely annoying, specially when character's faces are cut off.

I even planned WAY ahead and made sure all of my DVD's were widescreen.
But its like every movie needs to be formatted for 3 different ratios so you can select the one your TV, Monitor, Projector supports.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 23rd December, 2013, 11:28 PM

Yeah, different strokes. For me movie integrity comes first (including original language), but for my elder brother, fully utilizing his playback equipment comes first. He objects to anything that doesn't fill the screen (paid for that viewing area, should be able to enjoy it), objects to B&W (paid for a color TV, should be in color), objects to subtitles (shouldn't have to read with TV, should be in English), he also objects to monaural (paid for stereo gear, should be in stereo), he'd probably object to lack of surround sound and ELF if he had the speakers for it. He bumped up to 48" LCD/LED a year ago and no longer minds as much about wider formats (sits very close), but still refuses to watch B&W or read subtitles.

Next steps with the HTPC are verifying the video color-space agrees with the players and figuring out how to use the Rosewill Windows remote control that just arrived. Would be nice if I no longer need to keep a keyboard and mouse attached. Should be enough to keep me busy for awhile !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 23rd December, 2013 at 11:31 PM.