AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th January, 2014, 11:57 AM

DDR4 is coming, but not all that soon!

Intel set to bring next-gen DDR4 DRAM memory to computers later this year | PCWorld

Appears Intel will likely start supporting DDR4 late this year, but specifically for high end servers, not PC's, notebooks, etc. It'll be up to twice the speed of DDR3, have up to 50% greater bandwidth, and require some 20 to 30% less power, but it'll be expensive for the early adopter even when the supporting hardware becomes available. I'm guessing it won't become price viable for most of us before 2016 earliest, and by then, AMD will likely have announced plans as well.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 26th January, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2014, 12:00 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

2016 wow. Well, to think about it, that's not that far off.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2014, 12:13 PM

Yep, it's amazing the way these darned years creep up on you! Blink a couple times and yet another's passed.

I've no doubt plenty of enthusiasts will jump on it as soon as the needed PC hardware becomes available, perhaps by mid 2015 for Intel, but they'll definitely be paying premium prices. I'll be waiting for much increased sales volume before I consider purchase!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 26th January, 2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 30th January, 2014, 03:13 PM
AOA Staff

It should be supported by AMD's upcoming Hierofalcon SoC.
Old 30th January, 2014, 05:38 PM

I read that AMD was interested in a DDR4 module a couple years or so back and Hynix and Lapida had agreed to manufacture them (Lapida being the needed second source). However, Lapida went bust and no other memory manufacturer was willing to take it on, so AMD dropped it. Speculation was that it could have been for use with Kaveri since DDR3 bandwith is problematic for Kaveri GCN performance (perhaps related, the Kaveri memory controller on die appears four channel and the BIOS is explicitly limited to accessing channels 0 and 2, bypassing 1 and 3.) However, later examination concludes the controller is specifically DDR3 and FM2+ pin count may be insufficient for four channel support, still, one or both of those would definitely have been nice for Kaveri. As it is, as mentioned above, appears Intel will be first with DDR4 modules in its high end server family.

Wasn't thinking of embedded applications (desktop myopia I guess ). Yeah, looks like AMD is releasing a number of small format ARM and x86 products later this year, the Hierofalcon ARM supporting ECC DDR3/4. I'm pretty sure those will be using board SMT rather than modular DDR.

AMD Embedded Product 2014 Roadmap Packs ARM, x86 SoC

A couple DDR4 related articles with some interesting links at the end of the second.

DailyTech - Micron Announces True 20 nm SSD Trio, Late 2013 DDR4 Launch
DDR4 Moves Closer to Production at IDF 2013 - Bright Side Of News*
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 30th January, 2014 at 05:42 PM.