AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January, 2018, 05:42 PM
Bad communicatio engineer

New cooler

Installed an FX 8350 125w CPU and it is running 60-65c.Even with an Cooler master HSF With dual fans. Alittle hotter than I like!
I just bit the bullet and bought Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler. I know it is quite safe but putting liquid into my rig makes me Itch!
I'll get it tomorrow so can report temps soon. Thank the Lord for credit cards!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2018, 07:59 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

60-65C would make me nervous, too. I also have fears about liquid cooling, but it's good that you bit the bullet and sprang for liquid cooling. Sure hope you like it! Don't talk to me about credit cards, this is one bad month for bills!
Old 5th February, 2018, 06:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Howdy PPM,
did you receive your new liquid CPU cooler yet? Just in case, I don't believe you fill them with plain water. Personally, I'd use distilled water. But I think there's also something they used to call "water wetter" that's also needed. Happy cooling!

Last edited by cloasters; 5th February, 2018 at 06:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2018, 04:12 PM

The unit I got was from Coolermaster and is an enclosed unit. No parts to assemble. Dropped temps 10c. Happy days!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 6th February, 2018, 04:06 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Cool news! Glad that installing it wasn't a major hassle. So ~55C..guess that's a pretty big improvement? Those C's are apita for this old American. 65C did sound mighty hot.
Old 9th February, 2018, 03:56 AM

65c is approx.150f. I never had a hiccup but can't help but think that a rig running those temps 24/7 would fail at sometime. I'm running 2 folding clients and the 8 cores are running at 100%.
The water cooler wasn't to hard to install. Apparently most cases are engineered to accept a radiator with duel 120mm fans at the top.

Old 9th February, 2018, 01:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Cool beans. No idea where that expression came from and I don't use it. Oops, maybe I can be forgiven because of the subject? 150F sounds much too high! 131F is a temp I've never experienced, glad it's a good bit less than 65C! I think 125F is the hottest weather I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. It was in a dry desert, thank goodness. 99F with 99% humidity was a special treat, I now avoid the tropics. That's why the natives of such places tend to be small and thin. Smart tropical design.

All eight cores at 100%. Holy carap you're a braver man than I am, Gungadin!! Mebbe you might back off when Mr Summer returns. Unless you have air conditioning, of course. Very few residents have AC here in La-la land. Would not be surprised if folks from your neck of the woods say that!
Be good!
cloasters

Last edited by cloasters; 9th February, 2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 9th February, 2018, 02:17 PM

I'll probly back off when the electric bill shows up! Mareen had some choice words to say the first time that little beast reared it's ugly head! I was running 4 rigs at that time and her words were something like-I'll poor water on the S.O.B's! (I didn't doubt her for a minute)

Old 10th February, 2018, 08:51 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

LOL! I'm sure she wasn't, but that's arcin' and sparkin' I'd NEVER want to see. I've noticed that my electric bill from the City Owned power outfit goes up all the time. It's funny, but for years now I've always used more power than during the same period a year ago. Always--except for a tiny bit on the last bill. A miracle! I get colder as I age, so just maybe they ain't lying. A C-note per month for the electric bill in the winter for a one bedroom small apt. seems a bit much. When I moved in, back when Hector was a pup ( who was he, btw?) my first for two month elec bills(at summer rates) were $6--because they couldn't charge me less.

Too cheap to meter--right Massa nuclear power? Was almost true for me 25-ish years ago. Oh well, progress rocks. Ahem.

Be good, I hope your new water cooler works fantastically for you for many years!
George
Old 10th February, 2018, 10:14 AM

I don't know which power co you have, (does it matter? Me thinks not!) I have Avista-sweet thing. The 20+ years I lived in Spokane they never-not once-get turned down for a rate increase. The city counsel for the people.

Does that make me a cynic? God, I hope so.At least I get to giggle over the scr**ing I got. City council-people flocking for a 20k a year job. makes you wonder how many wives-and mistresses- drive BMW's!

I was reading temps wrong CPU is running 45c (114f) under load-26c idle. I am pleased-pleased I am!
Small 1br apt $35 a month exept summer.Then it's abou $50

Old 11th February, 2018, 07:01 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

45C? Oh, that's saweet! Nice temp indeed for under heavy load. I know, like who's not under a heavy load these days? Oh, oh. I forgot-- almost every pol, and "pol" from dog-catcher to our blessed preznit has the best interests of the people at heart. So fortunate we are!

I dunno why nearly every politician truly hates the man in the street. But it sure seems to be so. Maybe because once they join those superior folks--you know, the *****ers on Mt. Olympus, they are so danged "virtuous" that they simply can't bear the great unwashed. Well, it's most likely too late for the man in the street to make with the pitch forks to help pry the bashtages off of their thrones. 'Cause surveillance of the massive kind really is everywhere. So happy that makes me!

Personally, I'm glad I'm old. To be a kid facing today's world? Oooh, that is scary.
I wish I could laugh off the state of things far better than I do. I used to be able to much more, but we seem to be too far into the red zone now. And the news lavishing love on the ill-educated and evil spirited thing at the top just wrecks my day. And I avoid the MSM almost perfectly.

Oh bother. It's always something. I'll try to be more positively chuckely next time.
Old 11th February, 2018, 10:26 AM

JUst a giggle will suffice. Things are rather humorous If you choose to look at it from that angle ( I do!) Can't control any of it anyway. Onward and outward trumpy boy!
My interests are realy in his heart? I am so relieved!
I'm slowly getting my rigs where I want them-even if I am somewhat foolish.
I am building gameing rigs and don't game!

Old 12th February, 2018, 06:50 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You are SO right, giggles are demanded by our political sitch. Try harder, cloasters. I don't game on my PC, because I'm so bad at them. Without cheat codes I couldn't even try. I gladly admit that a few of the oldies were spectacular and did get me playing them. Half-Life just went interestingly on and on. Love that one. Gratitude is the atitude, hold on to that one, cloasters. And many chuckles a day sure beats constant gloom and doom. Thanks for the reminders, PPM!

And gaming rigs sure beat "simply businessman or "just the facts, Mamm" boxes! My machine is actually pretty darn powerful. But the price of really nice Vidcards seems to start at $500. A bridge too far.

Last edited by cloasters; 12th February, 2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 13th February, 2018, 12:46 AM

$150 is as high as I will permit myself to spend. I find it humores that I won't justify $500 but will justify $150 to gain me nothing!

Have you seen the "Trumpy Bear" on TV? A commercial for a Teddy bear fraud with an American flag in a hidden compartment, and an orange comb over! Just plain funny.

Half-life was fun as was Deus Ex.Fun for a little while. After chatting with you, I've come to the conclusion that I haven't been totally honest.The reason I don't game is because it bores me-true, but is the reason I'm bored is that I'm no good at it?
Interesting.

Last edited by PorPorMe; 13th February, 2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 15th February, 2018, 07:32 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm late with this reply. Oh, bother! I dunno, real gamers seem to find $500 sorta kinda reasonable. Why I'm so good at them I finish them before I notice that my video quality wasn't tip top!
Yeah, right.
I think I spent nearly two hundred bones on my last Vidcard. Heavens! All previous ones have been $100 or less, like any right thinking American would spend. Just wanted to see more than two gigs of memory for a great change of pace. But I balked at a i7. I rally don't need the power.

Ya never know, it's possible that this could be my last box before I'm put in one. Kidding, I paid more than two grand for a guaranteed cremation. I'm sure I can trust that that was money well spent! Like who's around to complain if they lied? Taking up real estate as a dead person seems a bit selfish to me, but who cares what I think?

Don't answer that, please! Thank you for your reply, sorry that I'm so late replying to said reply. My bad, AGAIN.

Oops, forgot to comment on the Tarump teddy bear. He's an all American hero!
So, sieg heil yer Majesty!

Last edited by cloasters; 15th February, 2018 at 07:35 AM.