AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th May, 2002, 04:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to DJ2000

I still believe in 1/6 divider

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dherman2000/ID.bmp
512 Crucial 2100 DDR @150Mhz
Coolermaster fan
PCPOWERANDCOOLING Turbo cool 300 ATX PS
ALL SCSI Drives
GeForce 2 MX
Win XP Corporate Pro NTFS
Rock Solid !!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th May, 2002, 05:03 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

This subject is taboo in the Epox Topic. Your post has been moved to AMD Mobos because of this. Please read the stickies in the Epox topic, especially the Enough is Enough one. I'm tired, and am going to bed. Good night.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th May, 2002, 05:41 AM
.:N2:.

not to rub salt or anything here... ESPECIALLY cuz i have NFI how sore this subject may be, alls i know is what i see above...

k, i jus wanna say that EPoX and all other mobo makers oughta be putting proper dividers into their mobos.

so show em the pics!!

listen, we're AOA = Advancement of Overclocking Arts!

this means, we know where advancements COULD, and SHOULD be made, right? they ought look at our results, useage, needs, and use that info collectively to make a better, more usefull and ideal end product...

obviously we're a targeted market ~ The Enthusiasts.
so give me something awesome to be enthused with, and i promise i shall be.

so, again im sorry if this steps on toes or whatever,
just that yea, i'd definitely look for dividers in any mobo i purchase solely for O/C'ing.
(knowing now what i've learned from forums such as these)

everyones got two pennies nowadays
Old 13th May, 2002, 05:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Nice OC. Now, whats this about 1/6 divider? What does it mean?

(Oh, and yeah, I'm a n00b)
Old 13th May, 2002, 11:30 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

well they are referring to the PCI divider, it takes teh FSB and divides it down to get the clock speed for the PCI cards. the standard is 33mhz. so at 100mhzFSB u have to divide it by 3, 133mhz is divided by 4..... there has been a lot of fuss about 1/5 and 1/6 dividers, which allow you to overclock higher as they keep the PCI bus in spec at higher FSB's

It's a sore subject over in the EPoX topic as ET isnt allowed to tell us stuff that EPoX say he cant, people were giving him a hard time because of it, and to be honest, it was tedious having every man and his dog creating a thread entitled "1/5 and 1/6 dividers" or something

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 13th May, 2002, 12:50 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Forget dividers. Newer OC boards come with the option to lock the PCI and AGP buses so that no matter what speed you're running the FSB at, your devices are running at spec. DJ2000, nice OC, but you don't have any PCI devices to crap out. If you were to use IDE drives, I'd bet money that you would get HD corruption at that speed. It's been the general concensus that there is no 1/5 divider let alone a 1/6 divider.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 13th May, 2002, 03:22 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Guys, please keep in mind when talking about unpublished capabilities, there may be legal ramifications to consider. To the overclocking community (us), this type of information in a definitive manner is very valuable. However, there may be licensing or other issues that would not concern us, be very critical to manufacturers and such. I'm not sure how serious it was, but for a while, Intel was threatening SIS with a lawsuit because of their desire support of 133FSB. This was settled, (I think). To support P4@133FSB, mobos (and chipsets) need a 1/4 divider.

One conclusion you might make is that sis's older P4 chipset does support a 1/4 divider (purely speculation on my part). However, because at the time, Intel did not sell 133fsb P4's (and more importantly didn't collect special licensing fees on it), feathers were ruffled. Think about it.. Until recently, no P4 boards were advertised to support 133FSB (533 if you want to be technical). This is where the suits control marketing.

If you think it's there, and it works for you great. Because of our unique status with Epox, we have to respect their obligations and responsibilities. Please feel free to post your findings in our AMD forum.
Old 13th May, 2002, 09:10 PM
.:N2:.

you do make sense SteveI.

like i said, i have No idea what was goin' on about EPoX or anything. but if the dude can'tsay something, then nobody oughta push/provoke something from him... that's certainly not cool.
Old 14th May, 2002, 02:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to DJ2000

Mookydooky
Actually I do have PCI devices attached . How 'bout my SCSI card to start with , then my NIC, then my sound card all running great at 200 FSB. (33Mhz PCI) Anyway, I know the topic has been beaten to death. I also know my system is visibly faster at 200/150 than it was at 133/133 and just as stable, so I think I will stay there.

Love to tweak and experiment !!
512 Crucial 2100 DDR @150Mhz
Coolermaster fan
PCPOWERANDCOOLING Turbo cool 300 ATX PS
ALL SCSI Drives
GeForce 2 MX
Win XP Corporate Pro NTFS
Rock Solid !!
Old 14th May, 2002, 02:48 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ2000
Mookydooky
Actually I do have PCI devices attached . How 'bout my SCSI card to start with , then my NIC, then my sound card all running great at 200 FSB. (33Mhz PCI) Anyway, I know the topic has been beaten to death. I also know my system is visibly faster at 200/150 than it was at 133/133 and just as stable, so I think I will stay there.

Love to tweak and experiment !!
Hey, I'm happy for you that you can run that high. I wish I can run that high, but my HD starts crapping out at any speed over 150. Can't transfer large (5GB) files without errors. Anyway, I'm glad to know another person is taking their system as far as it can go!

Take Care,

Mook.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 15th May, 2002, 05:39 AM

You could just get one of these and check: IOSS RD2 Monitoring Panel with USB+1394 Ports

If PCI is running at 33mhz, all is well.
Old 15th May, 2002, 11:30 AM

Im still in two minds about the deviders on the 8kha+

There is definately something acting on the PCI/AGP cards to allow the board to run at such high fsb.

I dont beleve that my PCI cards would run at 50mhz

But Ive seen evidence from those PCI test cards that says that there is no devider. (and occiliscope tests claiming there is one)
I dont think id beleve either without seeing it for myself.

I think there is something other than deviders at work, latency change or something.

Not everybody can run at 200, i get soundblaster problems around that speed so if there is a 1/5 or 1/6 devider it dosent work perfectly. I think its more likely that there is something other than deviders at work.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 17th May, 2002, 06:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I am VERY happy with my ABIT AT7 MAX which has a 1/ divider and works pretty darn well- just awating a new hd and intel pc camera!
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah