AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th October, 2001, 02:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

Athlon XP M/B Compat.

Can anyone tell me what the rule is for mainboards that will work w/ the AthlonXP's. Will any Tbird board work, only DDR, etc???

I'm likely going to go w/ the new Shuttle board based on the 266A, but I'm curious anyway.
Old 11th October, 2001, 02:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Try asking our resident EPoX Rep. he should give you at lest part of your answer. (EPoX Topic, top of main page":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2001, 03:16 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Basically anything that supports KT133A or newer should support the XP as KT133A supports a 133mhz FSB. Unfortunantly, not all boards will support the SSE features of the chip. You will have to go to the mb manufactuer's website and see if they issued a BIOS upgrade to support the XP.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2001, 04:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

Thanks for the info, guys. Big'ups to you both!!!

Athlon XP, here I come!!!
Old 11th October, 2001, 03:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

I have teasted ALL of the MSI boards at work and they work with BIOS upgrades. As of last night they all have the upgraded BIOS' available. The 2 Asus boards we have do not work all that good. The A7M and the A7V. We have no other boards so that just covers the ones listed. The 2 good ones with massive support is the Turbo and 266Pro from MSI. And y'all wondered why I am MSI crazy!!
Old 11th October, 2001, 03:34 PM
Banned

I have heard the early revison ABIT KT7A's are not working right with the athlonxp.

Jen
Old 13th October, 2001, 09:06 AM

The ABIT KT7A-RAID Version 1.2 and below will not work even with a BIOS update only version 1.3 with a BIOS update. I'm hoping that the KR7-RAID will be XP complient & since it's taking them forever to release I hope they're the 1st ones to read the in die thermo diode.
¤GF2MX 230core/205mem
¤431W Enermax PSU
¤2 X 20Gig Barracuda III RAID0
¤WXP Pro
Old 14th October, 2001, 07:15 AM
EPoX Tech

This is not just a chipset issue. This is also to do with power regulation.

Athlon XP is high voltage, low current design which means a very stable power regulation circuitry will be required.

Boards with 3 phase power are ideal for this. Boards with high current stability requirement will not run Athlon XP.
Old 14th October, 2001, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TranceBear
I have teasted ALL of the MSI boards at work and they work with BIOS upgrades. As of last night they all have the upgraded BIOS' available. The 2 Asus boards we have do not work all that good. The A7M and the A7V. We have no other boards so that just covers the ones listed. The 2 good ones with massive support is the Turbo and 266Pro from MSI. And y'all wondered why I am MSI crazy!!
I am happy with my Master

I like the live bios. As I just did it again, now I am ready for a XP.

MS-6341
(K7 Master)

Current BIOS Version: 1.30

Please Select and Click the button at right to download and update the BIOS online.

Supported BIOS:
Version Bios Revision History Size Update
1.30 1. This is the AWARD(r) BIOS release.
2. This BIOS fixes the following problems of the previous version:
-Update AMD recommended CPU string for Athlon XP CPU.
3. 2001/10/04
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 15th October, 2001, 12:00 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It seems to me that high voltage at low current is definitely a design improvement! Voltage is "cheap," while current is not.

Wouldn't the quality of the PS be more important than the mainboard's voltage regulation ability? If the PS supplies accurate voltage you'd think that the mobo's VR ability becomes more of a secondary concern.

Don't ask me, I'm not an EE!
Old 15th October, 2001, 03:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to William Send a message via AIM to William

the new ECS board is supposed to support it which is good since I got one .

Allied Sites Support Team - Content/Design (director)
Old 15th October, 2001, 05:18 AM

wow.... This means that my Iwill KK266 will work with XP. KT133a... 3-phase power supply.... Great!!!!

~>Powered by AMD Duron Processor<~
Old 15th October, 2001, 05:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Wouldn't the quality of the PS be more important than the mainboard's voltage regulation ability? If the PS supplies accurate voltage you'd think that the mobo's VR ability becomes more of a secondary concern.
Nope its the other way round. Remember that the CPU does not draw a constant current(it varies with load), that makes high quality Vcore voltage regulation a must. Once high quality onboard voltage regulation is in place, the PSU's current quality becomes less of an issue. The onboard step down switching supply will keep the Vcore constant as CPU load varies, and as source current from the ATX PSU's 5v rail varies.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 15th October, 2001, 06:04 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Nope its the other way round. Remember that the CPU does not draw a constant current(it varies with load), that makes high quality Vcore voltage regulation a must. Once high quality onboard voltage regulation is in place, the PSU's current quality becomes less of an issue. The onboard step down switching supply will keep the Vcore constant as CPU load varies, and as source current from the ATX PSU's 5v rail varies.
Very true and very well worded.
Old 24th June, 2003, 12:32 PM

More compatability

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
This is not just a chipset issue. This is also to do with power regulation.

Athlon XP is high voltage, low current design which means a very stable power regulation circuitry will be required.

Boards with 3 phase power are ideal for this. Boards with high current stability requirement will not run Athlon XP.
Is this why the Epox EP-8KTA3 won't run Athlon XP chips?

Bought the M/B 2 years ago, has been running my 1Ghz (AXIA) Athlon overclocked to 1.33 GHz flawlessly for that time. I am not entirely sure it it is a 8KTA3 and not a KTA3 Pro- is there any way of telling (e.g. would it say 'EP-8KTA3pro' on the board rather than 'EP-8KTA3'? The pictures of the 'pro' board on the website don't say 'pro' though).

Any advice would be great! Can't afford more than a processor upgrade @ moment.