AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2002, 02:17 AM

k6 233 upgrade options?

This is my first post so please be kind.

A friend has a Compaq Presario 4540 with an AMD 233MHz K6. Looking for options to speed up the machine to extend its life for another year or two. Main uses are internet surfing, email, and word processing.

Don't know what the mother board is 'cause the info is no longer available on Compaq's website. Maximum RAM according to Crucial.com is 48 MB. It currently has 32 MB.

It is running Win98, and I suspect a clean install of Win95 would help.

Would it be possible to swap out the CPU to a k6-2 550MHz? These are available on eBay for around $30 and if the existing motherboard would support it, this is an attractive option.

It's got a 3 GB HD, I have an extra 10GB IDE drive that I plan to install. I suspect this will help a bit too.

How can I check to see if the motherboard will support a 550Mhz CPU? How do I update the bios? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th May, 2002, 02:37 AM
.:N2:.

unfortunately Compaq uses proprietary motherboards, with no jumpers.

while it's possible there are dipswitches, the odds of us identifying your board are highly unlikely.

More likely the board is set to run that cpu, and that one only, i'm afraid that's gonna be it.

this is why none of us want Dell, Compaq, HP, etc...

sorry to say it

oh yea and.. Welcome here

further, possibly compaq specific ram is needed, im sure Crucial would advise.
and BIOS i'm afraid is not an option without an actual mobo make and model.

you can probably install the 10Gb HDD just fine, as long as theres an extra IDE available
it wont help performance, but will give more storage.

Last edited by .:N2:.; 29th May, 2002 at 02:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:39 AM
eobard

The original K6 is somewhat different from the K6-2's and 3's. The 2's and 3's are socket 7 chips while the original K6's are socket 5 chips. Physically the connections are the same but they aren't nessecarilly interchangeable in the same motherboard, even if the Compaq will take other chips (which I doubt) it's extreemly unlikely that a Compaq designed for a K6 will take a K62. I suggest upping the ram to try to get a bit more speed and possibly try using software overclocking like SoftFSB or CPUFSB to try to get a bit more out of the front side bus. Both of which are available here.
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:17 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Welcome to the forums...
Quite honestly, I recommend against attempting to spend any serious amount of time trying to improve that system. If the Compaq site is not supporting their own, no one else will. There is minimal performance gain on 32 to 48mb of RAM. As others have mentioned, the CPU is probably not upgradable.

Regarding HDDs, most likely, your mobo can only handle 2 gig HDDs, 6 if you are lucky. If you connect a 10 gig drive, you will need a patch to access all 10 gigs. This will slow down boot times, and reduce performance.

If you upgrade everything you can, most likely, you won't even notice the difference... Reinstalling the OS may be the only noticeable performance gain.

Your best bet is to start saving up, and look toward building a new system from the ground up.

If the case is a tower, try to identify if the mobo is AT or ATX. If it's ATX, you may be able to use it in a new build, save the floppy, and maybe the CDROM to save money on a new system.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.
Old 29th May, 2002, 05:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I belive w/ the experiance i had upgrading usch a cpu worked w/ a k6 2 400 on a compaq- Its a gamble on above this however- and i susspect it will go to 64m-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2002, 07:08 AM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. You guys have been really helpful.

Steve, your idea about saving for a new system is a good one, and I guess I'll save my 10 gig drive for a different project...

I guess all I can do is replace Win98 with Win95 and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I can always reinstall Win98.

eoboard, thank you for the overclocking links. I'm not going to overclock my friend's machine (just in case) but those links will come in handy. boku no neko dattara, iwanu ga hana desu.

Any recommendations for cheap chips/mobo's that can run at 500 Mhz and higher? Those k6-2 550's are so cheap! Then again, if I have to buy a motherboard and a power supply, might as well go with the 800 Mhz Durons.

BTW, I love AMD.
Old 29th May, 2002, 08:01 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by SugarJ
eoboard, thank you for the overclocking links. I'm not going to overclock my friend's machine (just in case) but those links will come in handy. boku no neko dattara, iwanu ga hana desu.

Any recommendations for cheap chips/mobo's that can run at 500 Mhz and higher? Those k6-2 550's are so cheap! Then again, if I have to buy a motherboard and a power supply, might as well go with the 800 Mhz Durons.

BTW, I love AMD.
You're welcome, but there's only one "o" in my name. As for suggestions on what you should do I wouldn't spend any money on an old socket 7 platform, I'd definitely get a Duron instead. And the ECS K7S5A seems to be the board of choice for cheapness and quality. Overclocking it requires a bit of effort but it isn't impossible.
Old 29th May, 2002, 09:28 AM

Quote:

BTW, I love AMD.
Yep!! Just go fot the Durons!!!

THe best thing about socket A is that, most often than not, the same board will support Durons, Athlons, and Athlon XPs. It will be cheaper in the end to upgrade to a higher performing CPU.
Old 29th May, 2002, 10:31 AM
eobard

Quote:
boku no neko dattara, iwanu ga hana desu.
I actually had to get someone else to translate the "iwanu ga hana" part. Well, at least I'm still good at speaking with cats.(Unless they're Japanese bobtail )
Old 29th May, 2002, 12:38 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I highly recommend the ECS K7S5A and duron combo... I use it on my daughter's machine, and bang for the buck, you can't beat it.

Roughly, for the mobo with built in lan, and a 1gig duron, the cost is only $100. The duron o/c's very easily to 1.375ghz. When you are bored with it, you can use the mobo to upgrade to an AthlonXP or the new Thoroughbred when it comes out.
Old 29th May, 2002, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
I highly recommend the ECS K7S5A and duron combo... I use it on my daughter's machine, and bang for the buck, you can't beat it.

Roughly, for the mobo with built in lan, and a 1gig duron, the cost is only $100. The duron o/c's very easily to 1.375ghz. When you are bored with it, you can use the mobo to upgrade to an AthlonXP or the new Thoroughbred when it comes out.
Thats the way id go.

Such a cheap upgrade and it will massively improove on an ailing k6-233.

Sticking with socket A is a good idea as it gives you allot of upgrade potential, should you ever need more power.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 29th May, 2002, 06:33 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I need to add, not all durons are the same... The 1 gig duron I got is a newer stepping morgan core. If you go with 800-900, it will most likely be the older spitfire core, and will not overclock nearly as much.

Last edited by SteveI; 29th May, 2002 at 11:18 PM.
Old 29th May, 2002, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to majestic

i think u mean 800-900 but correct me if im wrong
the ecs K7s5a defenetly a good bet
Majestic

:.majestic.:
Old 29th May, 2002, 09:15 PM
eobard

I think I'll go buy me an 8 gig Duron. That'll show them intellers up! Hey intellers, nice P4 2 gig, you wanna come look at my 8 gig "budget chip"??? :-D
Old 29th May, 2002, 11:18 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by majestic
i think u mean 800-900 but correct me if im wrong
the ecs K7s5a defenetly a good bet
Majestic
oops, not even liquid nitrogen gets you close.
Old 29th May, 2002, 11:19 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
I think I'll go buy me an 8 gig Duron. That'll show them intellers up! Hey intellers, nice P4 2 gig, you wanna come look at my 8 gig "budget chip"??? :-D
lol, no mercy whatsoever!!
Old 30th May, 2002, 06:45 AM

Fait Accompli

Two days ago, my friend's K6 took a lethal surge from a nearby lightning strike. Goodbye monitor. Goodbye K6. Hello greasy kid stuff~! :clown:
Old 4th June, 2002, 08:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

If your really looking to upgrade on the cheap there are other boards that will work in the compaq case. Asus makes a nice one. Again this is for a K6 2 or 3 type processor. The good thing here is you can double performance and keep all of you other hardware. There are also plenty of sites that sell barebone systems with decent mobo and cpu combos with a case. that way you combine shipping. Strip out the old compaq and there you go.

Good luck and welcome
Old 5th June, 2002, 04:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SickBoy Send a message via AIM to SickBoy

If you're looking for the budget hookup right now... nab a "reefer" 8K7A+ from Newegg along with a Duron of your speed choice.... 256 MB of PC2100 and you're flying.

Otherwise if the friend just wants something faster (not necessarily upgradeable or super high performance) I built a system with a reefer Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH (KM133A chipset) for my Mom for Mother's day. Slapped a 1 GHz Duron and 128 MB of PC133 and that thing was ready to rock with a new case and some parts pulled from her old system (floppy, CDROM, ETC).

I'd definitely say not to waste time trying to upgrade the K6. Not worth it - the stuff to upgrade it ain't necessarily going to do much and is going to cost you more than you think. Your sanity will be tested as well... just have your friend save his cash.

Heck, there's always the medical research labs... I hear they pay good....

sb
Member #100

Abit KT7A-Raid----TBird 1 GHz@1333------Alpha PAL8045--------1.8v
MSI K7D Master---2x Duron 1.2@1320-----Glaciator II and SK6----1.75V
Asus A7N266-VM-----XP 1800+----SVC GC12----1.75V

"People want to know what I'm on. What am I on?!? I'm on my bike, six hours a day."

-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, father, and four-time Tour de France champion
Old 7th June, 2002, 12:04 PM

I am not a Linux expert. I don't know a great deal about it. But this would make a great Linux box.