AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th June, 2002, 01:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

XP2000 or XP2200?

I am going to replace my cracked CPU core with a new AMD XP. The question is, is it worth waiting for the XP2200 or should I get a XP2000 now? How much will the XP2200 be, and when will it be out?

Thx.
Old 5th June, 2002, 04:42 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Re: XP2000 or XP2200?

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
I am going to replace my cracked CPU core with a new AMD XP. The question is, is it worth waiting for the XP2200 or should I get a XP2000 now? How much will the XP2200 be, and when will it be out?

Thx.
It's officially available next week. It will be the new T-bred core. It may not get to all the distribution channels for a bit longer though. Give it 2-3 weeks.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th June, 2002, 05:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Re: Re: XP2000 or XP2200?

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky

It's officially available next week. It will be the new T-bred core. It may not get to all the distribution channels for a bit longer though. Give it 2-3 weeks.
My local store says they can have them mid next week, but they are SO expensive! Maybe I will buy the XP1800 for my server and use it until I get all the rest of the things for my server.. Sound good?
Old 5th June, 2002, 05:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Yeah- get the 1800- and give me the 1900 soon!
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th June, 2002, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
Yeah- get the 1800- and give me the 1900 soon!
Spyder
I'll try to order the XP1800+ this week. And Spyder, kewl Avatar!
Old 5th June, 2002, 06:52 AM

SiGmA_X
Your Avatar is hot. Very appealing.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 5th June, 2002, 07:19 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

My engineering sample 2200 is pretty hot. But it was probaly hand picked to be tested.
Old 6th June, 2002, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatever
SiGmA_X
Your Avatar is hot. Very appealing.
Isn't it? If you want more image like that (And less like that, if you get my meaning () message me
Old 6th June, 2002, 02:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I'm probably going to wait for 1800+ or 2000+ Tbreds before I even consider one, then the price is right and the lithographic process has had a chance to mature a bit . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 6th June, 2002, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I'm probably going to wait for 1800+ or 2000+ Tbreds before I even consider one, then the price is right and the lithographic process has had a chance to mature a bit . . .
Well, I am going to order my XP1800+ and use it until I am ready (Have enought $$$) to get the XP2200+ Tbred.

What is so much better about a Tbred?
Old 6th June, 2002, 03:32 AM

Quote:
What is so much better about a Tbred?
It is a smaller die because it is built on a pure .13u process instead of a .18u/.13u hybrid process, which increases AMDs profit margin. AMD will probably at some point produce Thoroughbred steppings that utilize smaller .09u or .065u parts to get the scalability they need(they want to have it at 2800+ at the end of the year, and plan to continue scaling with the .13u Barton core throughout next year).

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 6th June, 2002 at 03:36 AM.
Old 6th June, 2002, 04:05 AM

Quote:
It is a smaller die because it is built on a pure .13u process instead of a .18u/.13u hybrid process, which increases AMDs profit margin. AMD will probably at some point produce Thoroughbred steppings that utilize smaller .09u or .065u parts to get the scalability they need(they want to have it at 2800+ at the end of the year, and plan to continue scaling with the .13u Barton core throughout next year).
What will the speeds of XP2800+ be? And when is the Hammer expected?

How much will a XP2200+ TBred cost?
Old 6th June, 2002, 06:09 AM

Well I'm not sure what the 2800+ will be in MHz, but it should be 33% faster than the 2100+ in real world performance(give or take a little bit depending on the application) . . .

The 2200+ shouldn't be any more than the 2100+ was when it first hit the street . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 6th June, 2002, 07:11 AM
.:N2:.

well Jeff.. that is good news...

cuz the XP's sux0rz.
Old 6th June, 2002, 08:57 PM

Quote:
The 2200+ shouldn't be any more than the 2100+ was when it first hit the street . . .
You mean it will be upwards of $300 USD? OMG, I think I will take the XP2000, if that's the case..
Old 6th June, 2002, 09:07 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
You mean it will be upwards of $300 USD? OMG, I think I will take the XP2000, if that's the case..
For $300, you can get like 7 Duron 1Ghz and OC them to 1.3Ghz and put them all of $45 refurb EPoX 8KHA+, which will give you considerably more computing power.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 6th June, 2002, 10:14 PM
.:N2:.

i'm with Mooky.
Old 6th June, 2002, 10:50 PM

Same. I'm going to get a XP2000+. Then, later, I will be getting 3 Duron 1GHz for a F@H farm. All for the same price of a XP2200. Maybe later this summer, once I get paid (2x700) I will build a top of the line XP2200+... Or the newer proc.

For now, it's a XP2000+