AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th June, 2002, 03:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to AznParaTrooper

Which is the best way to clean dust in the guts of your PC?

blah
Old 10th June, 2002, 04:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

I took an old stiff brishled paint brush. By paint brush I mean for like painting on canvas, not a house paint brush. Works great for cards and getting in the deep parts of your case.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th June, 2002, 04:41 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A brush is contraindicated for use on ISA/PCI/AGP cards and the mainboard. Think static charge, boo-ya. I use paper towels sprayed with Windex on the bottom of the inside of the case, being careful not to brush against the bottom PCI card. Windex on the case covers, inside and out.

Canned air blasts a lot of dust out of the case and removes most of the dust from PCB's. But real cleaning requires removing the fans from Vidcards, Heatsinks and the case fans, too. Tedious, careful cleaning of all the fan blades. Paper towels are economical, but Q-Tips are faster. Windex, of course. Heatsink fins must be cleaned as well. You might say that it's APITA. Don't forget the fans inside the PS. Use the Windex sparingly here, just wet the Q-Tips, reach in and enjoy.

I live in a dusty area, and I smoke. Even with intake filters, the cases get a bit yucky inside. Once every five months does the trick. Every bit of dust in the wrong place reduces cooling efficiency.

Where is the "computer boy" when you need him? Clean that case, boy! Oh yeah, that's me.
Old 10th June, 2002, 04:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

I was thinking of the charge thing, can nylon hold a charge?

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th June, 2002, 05:47 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberey66
I was thinking of the charge thing, can nylon hold a charge?
Nylon holds a LOT of charge.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 10th June, 2002, 06:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Heres what i do! I have a Hitatch 2gallon compressor set at about 100psi- i have a painters air cleaner (remvoves water) and a self made "air concentrator" (makes a fine, powerful blast tip) I take the machines to the shop line them all against the bench and turn on a huge box fan at the door to pull the dust out0- i then have at it with the compressed air- i can make a fan look like new!
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 10th June, 2002, 08:11 AM
.:N2:.

yeap, air is the best bet.

i pull off all my hsks and actually wash them...
also you'll see the metal gets tarnished, so a fresh lapping seems to help me.
even if it's just a mental thing having no impact on performance, why not give it a polish since it's off already anyhow.

the fans = Q-tips, then they get a tad bit o' the oil.

the case = windex applied to paper towels, carefull of lint and remains tho, not that it's harmfull, just looks sloppy.

and for the exterior, windex, and then, if it's a white case/drives.. i'll use a mixture of water and bleach to whiten it back up.
works a treat actually, just carefull you don't get anything soaked lol.

then reapply artic silver to the hsks, remount the fans, etc.. etc..

for me, lasts 2-4 months or so.

i like my rigs spotless tho, and since i'm always messin' with stuff in the cases, it usually isn't a big deal to clean.

power supplies are the worst to clean, big PITA, air is truly your friend there. 2nd to that is around the socket area on the mobo, i get sticky dust up there on the caps, 1st ram slot, etc..

OfficeMax, Wal-Mart, Radio-shack, all carry compressed air, bout $5 per can. just use short blasts and it lasts awhile.

see i run my cases open, thus i get alot more crap build up...
but looking at my stuff, you'd never know it

Last edited by .:N2:.; 10th June, 2002 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10th June, 2002, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters

I live in a dusty area, and I smoke. Even with intake filters, the cases get a bit yucky inside. Once every five months does the trick. Every bit of dust in the wrong place reduces cooling efficiency.

Hey cloasters, is the the kind of dust you're talking about??? hehehe I too smoke and live in a very dusty place.

I suggest u use a can of compressed air to clean your PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Which is the best way to clean dust in the guts of your PC?-photo8-6-10-02-5_52-pm.jpg  
Old 10th June, 2002, 06:42 PM
Banned

Yeah, the best thing to do is to keep up biweekly blowing air out (wait a sec!! )... constant maintenance has saved me an hour of thorough cleaning (like I keep a PC long enough for it to get too dirty to use anyway ).

Last edited by Pinky; 10th June, 2002 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10th June, 2002, 07:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

Every so often, I take off the fan on the heatsink and use compressed air to blow out the dust, sucking it up with a vacuum cleaner before it settles again.

As for the rest, I occasionally wipe my monitor clean after the kids sticky fingers have been all over it, and I can't make out words on the screen properly!
Old 10th June, 2002, 09:28 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yes, JayJay, that looks familiar. If you live in the US, on the West coast, the ONLY way to buy canned air is at Costco. 4 big cans for~$13. Maybe other "card only" retailer's are as good. The stuff is SUCH a rip at most places.
Old 11th June, 2002, 12:16 AM

Thats why you save spending $10 a pop for 10 times and buy a small commpressor! I live in a 110 yrs old house- you think you have a dust problem
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 11th June, 2002, 04:15 AM
Member/Contributer

You guys may think this is crazy but I use Brake Parts Cleaner.
I learned this from a Tech that used to come and clean the computers at a business I used to work for. It's the exact same thing as electronics cleaner. It doesn’t leave any film or residue and will not mess up any plastic/rubber fittings. It evaporates in about 10 seconds. And it does a heck of a job also.

I do use compressed air as well but for the twice a year, throw down, clean up job. I go to Auto Zone and buy a couple of cans of the better / more expensive, Brake Parts Cleaner in the spray can.

I also use a nice 2 1/2'' China Bristle Paint Brush to clean the keyboard and monitor screen. It's also handy to use when cleaning fans & HSF's.

If you want to try the brake parts cleaner but are scared to spray you computer first.... Open up any old radio or other electronic gadget you have and spray it down one time to see what it does. I bet you will like what you see.
----------------------------------------------

Old 11th June, 2002, 05:37 AM

That what my uncle said he used...... i did not belive him.... but now i do........
Spyder
AOA Team fah

Last edited by The Spyder; 11th June, 2002 at 05:43 AM.
Old 19th June, 2002, 02:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

how much for a bottle of the brake cleaner stuff? and it works on electronics? not just various bits in your case?
Old 19th June, 2002, 11:29 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
I have a Hitatch 2gallon compressor set at about 100ps
Careful with highpressure air. When the air is at a high enough pressure, it can build up static charge on surfaces, as the airstream rips electrons off those surfaces. Exactly the same as rubbing something with a cloth, except that it's air, not a cloth!

AidanII
Old 20th June, 2002, 04:15 PM

i have a neat article about "how to destory your computer" somewhere...
one of the best ways it says is to blow lots of compressed air on you HSFs- you might be able to either rip one off destorying anything below it or just burn out the fan

one day i'm gonna get around to typing that thing and posting it in just for laughs- just you wait!
Old 21st June, 2002, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drow_elf
i have a neat article about "how to destory your computer" somewhere...
I found one I like..."Remember - slapdash, ill-informed, incompetent work is what's expected of you. Don't let the industry down."

Here is the article
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 21st June, 2002, 03:48 AM

thats the exact one i was talking about! read my mind!
Edit: heres a quote from it:

Air force
Electronics stores stock canned "air duster", which is actually compressed difluoroethane gas, and can be used to clean various devices. Air duster is quite useful for cleaning more robust items, but can also be usefully employed in computer destruction, where it is more than capable of blowing chips out of sockets, spinning fans to prodigious speeds and destroying their tiny brushless motor assemblies, and, of course, redistributing dust from relatively accessible locations to far more exciting ones, like deep inside expansion card connectors and CD-ROM drives.

For truly powerful air-blasting, though, the discerning user will have to employ the services of an air compressor. These can be rented cheaply from many equipment hire shops, and as well as their greater power (which can snap a RAM module and its socket right off the board) offer the added bonus of high-speed water delivery, provided of course that the user makes sure not to use the condensation drain valve provided for less focussed operators.

Last edited by drow_elf; 21st June, 2002 at 04:01 AM.
Old 21st June, 2002, 03:57 AM

Read your mind? Man that's scary! I wish I could read my own! LOL Glad to help! I found it very funny!Here is another one by Dan about phone service that's funny as well.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!