AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd July, 2002, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky

They both look good. 2A on the 5Vsb line is usually sufficient. I think though, that I would opt for the Sparkle. I see Willz 5V line dropping to 4.7 and that does not bode well for the 8K3A. It is however, somewhat expected seeing he has his CPU OCed to almost 2Ghz.

SPARKLE 400 WATTS ATX UL APPROVED POWER SUPPLY MODEL # FSP400-60GN(12V) - OEM AMD (Athlon XP 2100+) Approved & Intel Pentium 4 Ready - One Year Warranty Model#: FSP400-60GN(12V) -OEM Special FedEx Saver Shipping $6.00

I have quite a few fans, 5 case fans, and of course, a HS fan, and 3 hard drive coolers. These are all 12 v though. I am running all this on a 350 w (I was mistaken earlier I quoted a 300 w).
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd July, 2002, 08:55 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Dang! I didn't realize you had that many fans! You're using a total of 9 fans which is probably sucking up somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 Watts by themselves, and you have 5 drives. I can't imagine what'll happen if you use all 5 at the same time. It's a good thing you don't have a high powered video card.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd July, 2002, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Dang! I didn't realize you had that many fans! You're using a total of 9 fans which is probably sucking up somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 Watts by themselves, and you have 5 drives. I can't imagine what'll happen if you use all 5 at the same time. It's a good thing you don't have a high powered video card.
Yeah, you know, if one fan is good, two is better, etc, right?
Actually the case came with 3 and they are all 120mm so they are really low wattage.

Me thinks I'll order the sparkle, look ok 2 u?
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 23rd July, 2002, 09:14 PM
AOA Staff

All the EPoX guys swear by their Sparkles and I really can't argue against it. Holst says it the best PSU for the money so I would go for it. I would be loathe to blow more than 50 bucks on a PSU though. You need it though. My setups are very different than yours. I have a lot of machines with minimal configurations so they don't really need a lot of juice. Typical setup has 3 fans, one HD, GF2 video card, NIC, 256-768MB memory. Most of my machines use the onboard sound. I do have one rig setup so I can watch movies with surround sound, otherwise, most are just bread and butter.

AOA Team fah

Old 23rd July, 2002, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's my only machine, right now. I will use this PSU for another I am working on building. Thanks, I'll order it now. I've heard good things about these Sparkles as well.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 23rd July, 2002 at 10:31 PM.
Old 24th July, 2002, 04:56 AM

Hey, Dook, I was crashed all day, it is over 85 outside and probably 95 inside (office has southern exposure-great for the view of the Puget Sound, bad for temps in Summer!) and so I set it back to Optimized Defaults. Thought I'd show my voltages now!
Attached Images

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 28th July, 2002 at 04:14 AM.
Old 26th July, 2002, 02:38 PM
Banned

1600+ AGOIA week 13 and letter Y not unlocked at 175 fsb ........it does go into windows at 181 fsb. just needs more testing.

it did 1806mhz at default voltages till it got a bit shakey in games
Attached Thumbnails
Heard of the AGOIA 1600+?-wcpuid51.jpg  
Old 26th July, 2002, 03:20 PM
AOA Staff

Excellent OC! I haven't had much time to play around with my rig this past week and it's still stuck at 1837Mhz. I'm gonna try to get at least 1850 out of her.

AOA Team fah

Old 26th July, 2002, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

what motherboad you have jen?
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 26th July, 2002, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
what motherboad you have jen?

motherboard is a Abit KX7 333R with full voltage mods

Jen
Old 27th July, 2002, 12:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

what do you mean full voltage mods? i have the AT7 max- (legacy free-version- same board- no ps2-)
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 27th July, 2002, 04:41 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's my only machine, right now. I will use this PSU for another I am working on building. Thanks, I'll order it now. I've heard good things about these Sparkles as well.
I just got the same Enhance 300wPSU as you, 1125ATX (?). (I already had the other one, 0730). I just put it in K7S5A machine which is also very power sensitive like the 8KHA+. The readings I get are excellent. I'm going by memory but, under load it looked something like this:

CPU: 1.82v (stock 1.75v)
3.3: 3.36v
5.0v: 5.04v
12v: 12.52v

I am using SDR memory, 1 HDD, 1 DVD, and a low end 4xAGP card. Sound and LAN are on board. Save that PSU, it seems to handle the load fine. You're running a lot of HW, but on a less power hungry system, I think it's a fine PSU.
Old 27th July, 2002, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

I just got the same Enhance 300wPSU as you, 1125ATX (?). (I already had the other one, 0730). I just put it in K7S5A machine which is also very power sensitive like the 8KHA+. The readings I get are excellent. I'm going by memory but, under load it looked something like this:

CPU: 1.82v (stock 1.75v)
3.3: 3.36v
5.0v: 5.04v
12v: 12.52v

I am using SDR memory, 1 HDD, 1 DVD, and a low end 4xAGP card. Sound and LAN are on board. Save that PSU, it seems to handle the load fine. You're running a lot of HW, but on a less power hungry system, I think it's a fine PSU.
I have an Enermax 350 (I'd posted 300 but after looking over invoice, saw it was a 350) and my 5v numbers have been down. I am saving it for a server system I'm building: ABIT KT7A Raid, Duron 1GHz,k will put the SCSI card and drives in it and not sure what else yet. The Enermax would never hit 5.0 even with nothing overclocked. I just got the Sparkle 400w today and put it in. I tried posting at 166 FSB but as soon as Windows booted to the screen with icons, it rebooted everytime. I set it back to Optimim defaults and it ran fine. The 5 v reading was 5.05v so I'm looking good there I think. I had to go take a nap (I'm working 12hr nights all weekend) so I'll fart around with it tomorrow when i awake. I'm wondering what memory timing settings I should use, that perhaps that's part of my problem. Wadda ya think?

Old 27th July, 2002, 01:52 PM
AOA Staff

To start off, set all the memory stuff at SPD. Once your rig is stable, you start pushing it from there.

AOA Team fah

Old 27th July, 2002, 02:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sorry Uncle Bob, For some reason, I thought you were using an Enhance PSU for some reason.. I got my wires crossed again.

Sounds like you might be pushing it a bit. Try with cpu voltage increased, and memory timings at conservative levels. Also, try increasing the FSB a little at a time. Start at 160 or so, and increase 1FSB at a time.
Old 27th July, 2002, 02:27 PM
AOA Staff

Finally got my memory to run at sync with the CPU. Here's a Sandra shot.

EDIT: BTW, I'm currently running my memory at 3.2V. Let's see how long it survives the heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Heard of the AGOIA 1600+?-sandra-mem.jpg  

AOA Team fah

Old 27th July, 2002, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
what do you mean full voltage mods? i have the AT7 max- (legacy free-version- same board- no ps2-)

the motherboard has been modified

now cpu can go to 2.08 volts

the DDR memory lowest is 2.83 goes to 3.2 volts

Jen
Old 27th July, 2002, 02:39 PM

Quote:
To start off, set all the memory stuff at SPD. Once your rig is stable, you start pushing it from there.
Here are a couple of shots, I just got off work and am heading to bed. The 5v line looks a lot better.
Bob edited:V Core is 1.90v, Dimm is 2.8v. I'll let it run Seti for 5 hours while I sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Heard of the AGOIA 1600+?-volts-after-sparkle-png.png  

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 27th July, 2002 at 02:44 PM.
Old 27th July, 2002, 02:42 PM

here is WCPUID
Attached Thumbnails
Heard of the AGOIA 1600+?-after-sparkle-png.png  

Old 27th July, 2002, 07:03 PM

Hey mooky a friend is sayin that my temps being at 35 cpu and 33 ambient at full load are TOO low, im afraid im gettin a bad read from my KT3 ultra aru, how do i know if im gettin the readings from the in-die thermistor of the AXP and not from another sensor ? no theres no sensor under the cpu =)
and at 35 celcius my volcano 7 is at 4000 RPM (i modded the volcano thermistor so it reads from the heatsink not from the air inside the case) so i dunno my friend said the cpu temps are aways 10C higher on the cpu than on the heatsink....so my readings are 35 but im at 45 !?!?! im scared to oc it....thnx for you help