AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th June, 2002, 03:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Question Is OCZ as bad as everyone tells me?

I have a 256MB stick of PC2400 OCZ ram. It has Nanya chips on it and it works just fine at 150 (300DDR) CAS2 Turbo setting. I haven't gone higher yet due to the POS HSF listed in my sig. I've been able to drop the voltage on the vdimm to 2.5 from 2.6 and maintain stable running Sandra burnin's and UD in the background for 3 days straight now. I honestly think it can do 166, maybe higher.  Any thoughts?
Old 27th June, 2002, 03:34 AM

Yes and no. They put whatever ram they can find on them. Which means you may get one stick that is decent and the next won't be. Also they are overclocked to begin with which means that you will get what it's rated for but not a whole lot more. Again this can depend on the ram used. Cheese ram las overclock good ram maybe youll get better.

Nanya is not known for overclockable ram.

Last edited by webmedic; 27th June, 2002 at 03:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th June, 2002, 03:37 AM

I'll juice it up some tomorrow and see what happens. I'm achin to get 166, but it may not happen. Worth a shot, thats what overclockings for, hehe. RAM keeps dropping like rocks so it may be a good time to save for a new stick
Old 27th June, 2002, 02:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

You're lucky you got Nanya chips, Mojo. Check out this article: OCZ PC2400 CL2 ?

These chips are the same ones on my Crucial/Micron PC2100 CL2.5.

What else to say? Except the first ram I got for my 8KHA+ board was two sticks of OCZ PC2400 CL2 ram that were BOTH bad. One had mem errors immediately, the other would NOT post past 133MHz FSB.

Go figure, the ram I got to replace it? heh....2 sticks of Crucial/Micron PC2100 CL2.5 that runs 145 FSB no problem.

I personally will NEVER do an iota of business with OCZ again, ever, never. Cheezy low rent remarking cheats. (IMHO)

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th June, 2002, 02:15 PM

I have to agree with you on theat one Orbit. I've heard nothing but horror about OCZ, but I honestly can't gripe too much. It does the 300MHz at full CAS2 Turbo. I'm gonna giver her some voltage tonight and turn this XP1600+ into a 2000+ maybe! (knocks on wood)

BTW Orbit: I got version 7 today, so we'll have to weld on it later :clown:
Old 27th June, 2002, 02:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Heh... btw, MOJO... Ain't waitin' on the weldin' LOL

Dang, wish I knew how to make a good PB&J sammich.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 27th June, 2002, 05:13 PM

well...I am the officianado onthe mighty PB&J ya know

(officianado? is that even spelled right?)
Old 27th June, 2002, 06:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

Quote:
Originally posted by unclemojo
I have to agree with you on theat one Orbit. I've heard nothing but horror about OCZ, but I honestly can't gripe too much. It does the 300MHz at full CAS2 Turbo. I'm gonna giver her some voltage tonight and turn this XP1600+ into a 2000+ maybe! (knocks on wood)

BTW Orbit: I got version 7 today, so we'll have to weld on it later :clown:
Same old story.......

I have Crucial PC2100 that does 166MHz FSB CAS 2....

I've heard nothing but horror stories about OCZ, and they're a company I would steer clear of.......
Old 27th June, 2002, 06:19 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

300mhz CAS2 is 150mhz aint it? not really that special had my crucial 2100 at 172mhz FSB cas 2

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 27th June, 2002, 06:21 PM

I had a stick of PC150 Corsair that would hit 171 (micron chips) so I should be able to get at least a little more from the OCZ, but yes, you're ALL right. OCZ is not on my list of good guys anymore, thats for sure.
Old 27th June, 2002, 07:02 PM

I can only say one nice thing about them. They have nice copper heat spreaders on some of them to keep you from finding what the ram chips being used are. The heat spreaders look nice though.

Does anybody know were to get these from and I dont meen the cheesy thermaltake kind in mean the kind used on ocz and corsair ram.
Old 28th June, 2002, 02:05 AM

Welp...this is the best it will do at CAS2 Tirbo. I'm not sacrificing the performance hit dropping any mem settings or timings. Wouldn't boot to windows at 161. I'm running tests at this setting to see if it can handle it. The chip's doing fine I'm sure.

http://www.unclemojo.web1000.com/images/160.jpg