AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th June, 2002, 01:25 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Do ASUS boards read temps on the high side?

I just got done setting up a ASUS A7V266-E with a Duron running at 1.3Ghz. At max stress it reads the CPU temp as 64C. The same CPU with the same cooling setup (same case, same HSF) read max at 54C on an EPoX 8KHA+. I double checked my CPU install to make sure I didn't mess anything up and I'm getting the same reading. Basically, the two boards are reading 10C apart. The thing is, on the EPoX, the system would crash as soon as it hit 58C (I got it there by unplugging the HSF fan), but the ASUS keeps running although it's says the CPU temp is 64C. I'm tempted to unplug the fan on this to see how high it will go before it crashes.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2002, 06:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

My friends Asus board read 10c high- cant remember what model........ BUT it would never crash?
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2002, 07:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

What are you using to check the temp? I have MBM and if I set it up a certain way it will read about 10C higher. I will look when I get home.
Old 28th June, 2002, 08:15 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuknow
What are you using to check the temp? I have MBM and if I set it up a certain way it will read about 10C higher. I will look when I get home.
I'm using MBM5. I have it set to read Asus2 as the CPU temp. If I switch to Asus2 (CUSL2) then it reads about 8C higher. Them machine hasn't crashed since I built it and I've thrown everthing I can think of at it. I think I'll OC it a little more to see if the temp will get any higher.

AOA Team fah

Old 28th June, 2002, 08:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, no Socket A mainboard's in-socket thermistor gives out the straight poop. I was enthused that a newish Asus Socket A board reads from the CPU's internal temperature reporting diode, but a wiser tech type than I says that no mobo with this feature reads the temp right. One does have to put up with a few horsefeathers with K7 processor's.

I'm running two Asus S-A budget boards atm. I used to think that the A7S-VM reported the CPU temp correctly, but it doesn't. Neither does the A7N266-VM. Both of these mobo's report processor temps that are too LOW. By 5 to 6C. I think, at any rate.

Here's how I determine Duron temps. This is at stock Multiplier and FSB, with a moderate load on the CPU. I simply add 32F to the room temperature. Whether this is an accurate determination of the CPU's temp---I don't freakin' know.

Fortunately, K7's can take some real heat. This doesn't mean that I don't do my best to keep the CPU's cool.
Old 28th June, 2002, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky

I'm using MBM5. I have it set to read Asus2 as the CPU temp. If I switch to Asus2 (CUSL2) then it reads about 8C higher. Them machine hasn't crashed since I built it and I've thrown everthing I can think of at it. I think I'll OC it a little more to see if the temp will get any higher.

Yea that's it. I leave it a Asus2. If you are telling me that even at Asus 2 it is about 10 degrees high my rig only hits 33C then while folding. Ususlly reads 43-45 if I game at the same time.
Old 28th June, 2002, 08:52 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:

Yea that's it. I leave it a Asus2. If you are telling me that even at Asus 2 it is about 10 degrees high my rig only hits 33C then while folding. Ususlly reads 43-45 if I game at the same time.
If I switch to Asus2 (CUSL2) on MBM5, then I get 72C at max load. By max load, I have FAH, CPU Burn, and Sandra Multimedia Benchmark Burn-in all running at the same time. The highest I saw on the EPoX 8KHA+ with the same setup was 54C. I think Cloasters is right. Temp readings are always off anyway. As long as the machine's stable I don't have a problem so I won't worry about it anymore.

AOA Team fah

Old 29th June, 2002, 02:27 AM

Holy cow....

I have realized that the probes are off. I use it for a reference. I did not realize that it could be that much. I have a highly accurate thermocouple and digital meter and it tells me I am only off by 2C low. MBM 5 reads 44 Folding and MM benching which means I am running about 46-47. Do you have any way to sccuratly measure the temps?
Old 29th June, 2002, 11:23 AM
AOA Staff

I don't have any thing to measure the temp aside from the readings the mobo gives me. I think I'll invest in a thermocouple. I think they have it at my local Radio Shack.

AOA Team fah

Old 29th June, 2002, 08:30 PM

Yea I saw one there last night. You will have to remove it from the plastic bulb.
Old 30th June, 2002, 03:49 AM
eobard

ANUS boards are famous for reporting temps exactly 10c over what they are, why I don't know. I do know that my budget A7V-E seems to be one of the few exceptions. If it was me I wouldn't worry too much. Since it's ANUS and since you've got 10c less with another board in the same case with the same air flow I'd just accept that it's off by ten and keep that in mind whenever I check the temps.
Old 30th June, 2002, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
ANUS boards are famous for reporting temps exactly 10c over what they are, why I don't know. I do know that my budget A7V-E seems to be one of the few exceptions. If it was me I wouldn't worry too much. Since it's ANUS and since you've got 10c less with another board in the same case with the same air flow I'd just accept that it's off by ten and keep that in mind whenever I check the temps.

Mine is also the exception. I have an A7V133. MBM reads 42 CPU and 25 System right now..Folding
Old 30th June, 2002, 11:29 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:

Mine is also the exception. I have an A7V133. MBM reads 42 CPU and 25 System right now..Folding
Damn, My A7V133 with a Duron 800 running at 1Ghz is reading 63C folding. It's been running fine that way for the last six months so I haven't really concerned myself with it.

AOA Team fah

Old 1st July, 2002, 10:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

The XP1700+ with an Asus A7V333 that I built is running at about 59C with a 20" fan blowing on it. It goes up to 70C fast if that big fan isn't blowing on it... What's the average temp diffrence between real and Asus on the Asus boards?
Old 1st July, 2002, 01:39 PM

Supposed to be 10 degrees. I am only off a couple from my digital thermocouple. This thing is highly accurate. So when I read 42 reality is 44 or so. This is air cooled an a 15 dollar HSF from Best Buy...
Old 1st July, 2002, 04:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Shoot. This XP1700+ is using a stock HSF, and is not OC'd at all. It is running at 58C right now at 100% and with the sides off and a 20" fan on it.