AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th July, 2002, 06:04 AM
comradeboris

xp1600 issues.....????

I have a xp 1600 that in the process of transferrring over to my new 8k3a mobo stopped working. For some reason, the chip refuses to work at anything over 100mhz fsb. The board is fine as it works wonderfully with my xp1800. The only ideas that i might have is a hs/artic silver install might have screwed it; or that when i first powered it up, the fan was not plugged in, so that it ran with only the sk6 on it.
Any ideas?
Old 5th July, 2002, 06:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Well, take the chip off, and check it for any chips. No matter how small. You could have blown it out! That would be very bad. Check out this article at THG for pictures of blown out CPUs.

My guess is that you either cracked the core, or you burnt it out.
Old 5th July, 2002, 04:21 PM
comradeboris

But if i toasted my cpu, then wouldnt it not even work at all? Because i can run stable at 10.5 x 100 but not at 10.5 x 133.......
I tried the cpu in another mobo and it did the same thing that happened on my epox. The only thing that i can see, is there is like a darkend area; not a burn mark or anything that covers 3/4 of the cpu. Its hard to describe. It looks like the area that the cpu has seen the most heat? But my 1800+ has thermal paste on it and it has that same "Area" but it just covers a very small area. Could this be the ASII shorting one of the bridges?

BTW you guys are the best forums by far, as you are soooo much more helpful than any other forum on the web!!! thanks!!!!
Old 5th July, 2002, 04:29 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by comradeboris
But if i toasted my cpu, then wouldnt it not even work at all?
Not necessarily. It could happen the way Sigma described. The burn area you described makes it more likely that you damaged your CPU somehow. As for ASII shorting the bridges, ASII is non-conductive. You can smear that stuff all over your CPU and it won't do a thing. Most likely, when you installed the HSF, it probably didn't make good contact with the CPU. This probably caused your CPU to burn some. It literally takes about a tenth of a second for your CPU to shoot up to 300C without a properly placed heatsink.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!