AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th July, 2002, 09:17 PM

can someone just tell me its not the processor so i can feel better?
Old 11th July, 2002, 09:26 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by .MexiDan.
can someone just tell me its not the processor so i can feel better?
We can't tell yet. You might still have a bad processor. However, if everything else was fine, you should get lights, and fans at the least. There is something holding you back besides the processor. If you can get fans going, then we have a better shot of knowing if your cpu is ok.

Just to test outside the case, use the mobo, PSU, CPU, video and 1 stick of mem. You don't need sound, or any drives at all to try this test. Get your PSU fan to run, and we can keep plugging away at this.
Old 11th July, 2002, 10:39 PM

i've misplaced the foam that my mother board came with... can i use anything else to lay my motherboard on??
Old 11th July, 2002, 10:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

a peice of cardboard..... static bag-
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th July, 2002, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

heres what mine looks like :-\
Attached Thumbnails
My computer is dead .. need help ASAP-new2_0001.jpg  
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th July, 2002, 11:10 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

The EPoX Tech always suggests putting the mobo on a phonebook. If it works for him, I'd take his word for it that it's good.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 11th July, 2002, 11:50 PM

i've tried running my computer with out the case.. and still no results.... only thing left now to test is the processor.... just out of curiosity though... would a damaged psu or switch work with a weaker system?? ie.. i tested my switch and psu on an old p2 i had .. celeron 400 actually... and it worked... could my mobo and processor be too demanding for a damaged psu or switch??? or is it a work or not work at all basis..>?
Old 12th July, 2002, 01:08 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If you're using a generic PS, it could be a problem. But I don't know how the problem would manifest itself. I think it's a safe bet that it could be exactly the problem you have now. AMD rigs suck a LOT of Amperage from the power supply, especially compared to a PIIIE box.

Some people get away with running an Athlon machine on a 250W PS. I don't know any of these folks, and for all I know they're lying!

If you need a new PS, I think that the Sparkle 350W is very good bang for buck. They are available at Newegg.com, for $48, including shipping. I paid $60 for mine, and it's worth it.
Old 12th July, 2002, 02:53 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by .MexiDan.
i've tried running my computer with out the case.. and still no results.... only thing left now to test is the processor.... just out of curiosity though... would a damaged psu or switch work with a weaker system?? ie.. i tested my switch and psu on an old p2 i had .. celeron 400 actually... and it worked... could my mobo and processor be too demanding for a damaged psu or switch??? or is it a work or not work at all basis..>?
Switch: I think is fine..
PSU: depends, I don't recall if you mentioned what PSU u are using. If it is a marginally powered PSU it might work 'kinda' ok on the Intel, but not have enough power for the AMD, as cloasters already mentioned.

Don't waste money and buy parts to just to test... let's take it slowly and start over.

Did this system ever boot up properly? What parts are new? used? Give as much detail (brand/model) for each new and used part.. Was this an upgrade from a previously working system? I'm thinking we're missing something obvious.

I can tell you for a fact that the if the CPU was bad and everything else was ok, you would get the fans and drives powered up. Something else is definitely stopping you from getting that far.

BTW: I'm starting to suspect the mobo or PSU. (just a wild guess) Memory errors usually give you continuous beeps. Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Last edited by SteveI; 12th July, 2002 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12th July, 2002, 10:01 PM

ok heres the story... i got an error message one day and tried to restart... the restart ended up corrupting my bios.. on an attempt to flash my bios my computer would stall on restarts... finally on one of the restarts my computer gave me the consecutive beep warning .... after restarting many times... my computer just gave out ... my power supply is a 350 watt atx ... my computer was running fine before all this happened... i just bought a new processor today and tested that out also... its not the processors fault.. right now i have the cmos jumper set to the default normal.... would clearing the cmos help with a start up?? i'm positive its a power issue now.... i bought a new motherboard a while back and it was giving me the same problem... i tested the switch on another system... and it worked... i tried jumping the motherboard... and that wouldn't work... since its a new motherboard... and it doesn't want to jump.. i'm guessing its the power supply... my old motherboard didn't want to jump either....
Old 12th July, 2002, 11:03 PM

now that i think about it guys... i had a previous power supply that i used to use with my computer... that one doesn't work now either... so it can't be a power supply issue... as for my switch... i tested it on an intel motherboard and it worked... do you think that my epox 8k3a+ might be more demanding on my switch???

epox 8k3a+
mushkin 256 pc2100
GF 2 GTS ultra
350 watt atx PSU

can you guys just list all the power associated problems you can think of? i've tested the power cord... the power supplies.. and i've bought a brand new motherboard.. what else is there to test.. other then the switch??