AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th August, 2002, 05:57 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by Deanril

I was suckered in by high voltages and stability, I should have found some better reviews that went further in dept, so yes you are correct, its my fault. However the board has capabilties and they are being limited, that my complaint, it can do SO MUCH MORE!
This, if true, is a legitimate complaint. The board does offer obscenely high voltages meant only for the power user but it limits its memory bandwidth. The obvious tradeoff is stability, but you would figure that the power user would be able to deal with it.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......

Last edited by mookydooky; 8th August, 2002 at 06:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th August, 2002, 06:25 PM

You still haven't actually said what options you want, as far as i read. you just kept ranting on about them. I assume you mean the cpu fast decode option. And as for the mem scores. Well you're just wrong, in the 2312 bios i could get up to 2700 without tweaking with wpcredit, i can now get the same score on the 2619 bios, at around "))Mhz, i can't remembe exactly where it was but i got just under 2700/2580 something like that.

if you are as much of a power user as you claim then shouldn't you be one of the ones to know about using wpcredit ans set to get even better scores. Holst and nefrey(forgot how to spell it m8, no offence) have both gotten 2800 scores from what i remember, and i'm close without the tweaks, which i will do soon.

You say you were suckered in through hig voltages, Well thats your fault, you weren't exactly suckered in were you, you saw they have high v-core , you got the board and found they do, hhmm, thats a disgrace. I too would be mad at epox for this malicious lying they are doing

Get over yourself, so what, on this board you spend a few minutes messing with bios twekaing proggies, with other boards you spend hours soldering stuff onto board to raise vcore, which owuld i prefer to do, something that is far easier to mess up and voids warranty, or something that can be easily RMA if board goes wrong due to serious overclocking.

THey put the harder to add stuff in for us, so its actually less effort to get the performance out of this board, isn't it.

T-bred@2.0Ghz | GS GF4Ti4600 | 512MB Win DDR400 |Chieftec Full Blu Audigy |40x cdrw | DVD 16x | 90GB of HD's | 550W PSU | Frog
Watercooled, kinda!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th August, 2002, 06:34 PM
Banned

Obviously this coplaint has been said a billion times , I believe I stated that in my 1st comment. Secondly thats wonderful 2800 but on another board you would be at 3000-3200.

I cant make it any simpler for you. If you dont like these threads, although they have purpose, you get enough of them maybe we can get what we want, then I suggest you use the back button and click out. Why waste YOUR time, just back button and move on with your life.

Obviously there is a problem otherwise there wouldnt be so many threads on the exact same thing, if your happy, good, Im happy for you. All they need to do is write the proper bios, the have our "FIX" yet their holding out. Why ??? Only thing I can think of is they think Ill be buying their KT400 board after I got a taste of this one.

Now you wouldnt want the KT333 board performing as good as the KT400 would you, who would upgrade to it, and yes they are counting on that , so in esense my post is worthless, and Ill probably just freaking delete it.
Old 8th August, 2002, 06:39 PM

Some of the comments you wrote make for an interesting read.
Yes I have to agree. This board is slow, in it's current state of BIOS situation.

It would be great for some more options for user configurable performance improvement. It seems to be an EPoX trend at present to cut out those bandwidth settings.

Perhaps they (EPoX) want for people to go INHEL. Especially if one would like to get good scores on the MO. For it seems INHEL setups are able to do just that (get good scores with 3DMark at least without having to clock their cards to extreme)

A few of the comments of other users of this forum also make me wonder where they are coming from. After all this is an overclocking forum isn't it.

I'll test some of the SAMSUNG DDR 400 mem shortly see if I get an improvement with high fsb settings (over 210 hope theres no tearing)

Ah well. We'll see how things go.
Old 8th August, 2002, 07:00 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:

You have a great point however flawed. Why?? Because all the other manufactureres will give you the options I speak of EXCEPT the 2.2 vcore, now why they will give you 2.2 vcore and not the rest is WAY beyound me.

But all the other companies get away with these options and do just fine, why cant epox? what is the problem here?
Some of those options.. Vagp comes to mind, are newer. Heck, it wasn't that long ago that 1fsb increments were extraordinary. I think this is one of the older KT333 boards. More of the newer one's come loaded with more of those features. If those features are critical for you, then getting a new board is probably the right move for you. Also, I read your mem scores.. they do seem too low. Sometimes, newer bioses hurt performance. I have a lot of old Abit boards (celeron), that are on the original bios. Newer updates, had really crappy memory performance, so I went back to the original... problem solved. Unless you need newer bios's to fix problems, keep the old ones.

Remember bios updates are meant to fix major problems, not add additional tweaks for performance. By shooting to add stability, to make most people happy, you have to sacrifice the few on the cutting edge.
Old 8th August, 2002, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Some of those options.. Vagp comes to mind, are newer. Heck, it wasn't that long ago that 1fsb increments were extraordinary. I think this is one of the older KT333 boards. More of the newer one's come loaded with more of those features. If those features are critical for you, then getting a new board is probably the right move for you. Also, I read your mem scores.. they do seem too low. Sometimes, newer bioses hurt performance. I have a lot of old Abit boards (celeron), that are on the original bios. Newer updates, had really crappy memory performance, so I went back to the original... problem solved. Unless you need newer bios's to fix problems, keep the old ones.

Remember bios updates are meant to fix major problems, not add additional tweaks for performance. By shooting to add stability, to make most people happy, you have to sacrifice the few on the cutting edge.
I concur!

Now ofcoarse the numbers are great sandra, 3dmark, but Im not looking for bragging rights Im looking for performance in Gaming, those numbers mean performance, in games.

Its plain and simple, the board is Great!! However its been PUROSELY limited and thats wrong. Hardware good, bios bad.
Old 8th August, 2002, 08:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Alas poor EPoX! They are losing customers NO board manufacture wants!

People who expect what they have no right to expect, then go crying from forum to forum.

Making some of the lamest consumer threats I've ever heard!

You and your fellows are going to spread the word and put them out of business??? ROTFLMAO!!

Dude, it's not EPoX whose in trouble here, it's you! There are others like you?! Well DOH! That's why teaching hardware forums exist!

The difference between you and the vast majority is that they don't expect the world to fall on it's face because you can't deal with the KNOWN limitations ANY board brings to the table.

What am I? the twentieth guy to tell you this?

I'm not sure you realize that EVERY board ever made produces a SERIES of BIOSes.

In time EPoX may pull off what you want, if they do it won't have a thing to do with crying and whinning and making what are really rather unintelligent threats by people who can't seem to understand the process even when it's explained to them.

For every guy such as your self who can't seem to either read nor understand "Use at your own risk" There are a 100 who understand what BETA means and work within the limitations implied, often with great results, sometimes not, THAT'S what BETA means, some times not!

Re-read this thread and ask yourself if it isn't time for you to grow a little and at lest try and understand what your being REPEATEDLY told.

The fault here is none but your own.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th August, 2002, 08:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

If you are such a power user, then you would easily be able to get the performance you want out of this board. Take a look at MrIcee's memory performance.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=&postid=19031

That is with the 2619 BIOS and some WPCrset tweaks. Looks pretty amazing to me.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Old 8th August, 2002, 08:53 PM
Banned

I TOTALY agree Im a lamo dumb ****........ However mr icee does know his sheeeeeeeeet.

Quote:
I will still reiterate the 8K3A+ is a great board with overall stability and tweakabilty thats wonderful. I'd recommend this board to anyone.....but not to someone looking for top 3DMark scores. Epox engineers neutered its bandwidth for a reason..to make it stable for the average enthusiast. They don't even allow some register changes to be made(THE important bandwidth increasing ones)..it won't hold them..they revert back to Epox settings. Thats the telling indicator they've built in safeguards to prevent their boards from possible instabilities...even if it was done by an enthusiast attempting to make the board a King of bandwidth.

Quote:
Looking back at my old benchs..I even outbenched the 8K3A+ at 1695Mhz with my KR7A-Raid.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&threadid=1674

Hmmmm sound familiar???

Last edited by Deanril; 8th August, 2002 at 08:55 PM.
Old 8th August, 2002, 09:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
I TOTALY agree Im a lamo dumb ****........ However mr icee does know his sheeeeeeeeet.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&threadid=1674

Hmmmm sound familiar???
Actually no. It sounds like someone who doesn't blame the manufacturer but works with the board to gain what there is to be had. You see that's the whole point. HE understands that trade offs are the name of the game. He'd like more, who wouldn't.

But he's not blaming EPoX for serving the majority of it's customers well. Or for making decisions they feel are right for the board. Missing is the arrogance which presumes to tell EPoX how to best serve it's customers.

It's cool to say I want this or that. We all want this or that. You want a Chevy buy a Chevy, don't carp because it's not a Ford!

I could care less about things that are vital to another. I look for a board that suits MY needs. Which may not be in the lest the board for you. Does that make either of us wrong?

Does that make my board manufacturer more responsive to my needs than yours? Most people love this board and work with it's limitations.

By the way I haven't bought a new board in over a year and so haven't got an EPoX. But I read these forums day in and day out and would not hesitated to do so.

P.S. I'm not saying your a dumb ****, I'm saying you've taken a dumb approach to this issue, one you might easy correct. You probably know more about Overclocking than I do, most folks here do!

But you could learn something here if you have a mind to.....
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th August, 2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old 8th August, 2002, 09:36 PM
Banned

Nope you dont get it. This board with its 2.2 and 3.2 and the rep, is the extreme of the extreme, what Im asking is nothing but make it run as it was intended. You however getoff on talking people down who have complaints about a bios that is the limiting factor to an otherwise AWESOME board. This post just made your day, you were able to tell someone they dont appreciate it and this makes you fell good. Whatever floats your boat, but I would prefer if you were to float out of this thread cause you arent constructive just negitive!
Old 8th August, 2002, 09:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

LOL. I'm sorry. I didn't realize the extent of your difficulties. Stay out of the EPox Topic and you'll be OK here.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th August, 2002, 09:53 PM
Banned

You must be the Brainiack infinate wisdom Mod who moved My Epox mobo thread into AMD motherboards, yeah I really want to thank you for doing that, allthough it made absolutely no sense what so ever....
Old 8th August, 2002, 10:10 PM
Banned

I see the names a top who are looking at the thread if I wasnt making one bit of sense they wouldnt be looking, Ive read here plenty I know who knows and who dont.

My points are valid, I would prefer if you just deleted becuase no one from EPOX will come in here and read therefor pointless thread. I for some reason cant, probably cause it was moved.
Old 8th August, 2002, 10:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
You must be the Brainiack infinate wisdom Mod who moved My Epox mobo thread into AMD motherboards, yeah I really want to thank you for doing that, allthough it made absolutely no sense what so ever....
Just a little slow on the uptake are we?
It makes perfect sense. While I don't expect you to understand this, EPoX is here as a favor. ET really has better things to do and people who are capable of being helped rather than to try and dry your eyes.

I on the other hand like to see what a person has to offer the forums.

You know, is this guy reachable. Can he understand , if given the chance, what almost everyone else has figured out for themselves?

But alas my time is limited as well. Say, your really hoping I'll ban you right? Then you can go from forum to forum crying about the horrid abuse you've suffered and soon no one will come here anymore, Then I'll be really really sorry! ROTFLMAO

How about we compermise! Go away and we will think you less a fool.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th August, 2002, 10:26 PM
Banned

You pretty funny you most be the Forum Hero!

You know been there done that, wont get into a keyboard war with you dont care.

Dont need to bad mouth you either, its a good board I know that.

Have fun sorry we disagree.
Old 8th August, 2002, 10:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:

I don't mind that we disagree. It's the manner of your disagreement that bothers me.

BTW, my guess is that they are wondering if you will push this to the point where you are ban....just a guess.

Look re-read the thread, You not finding lot of support here by refusing to hear what others are trying to tell you.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th August, 2002, 11:29 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I didn't look at this thread for a couple of hours and MAN did it get ugly in a hurry. Truth be told, Deanril is right, the EPoX board could be made to run faster. Why they have chosen not to do so however, has not been revealed to us and I strongly doubt EPoX will. The complaint is legitimate in that EPoX has been the performance minded enthusiasts' board of choice for the last year or so, and enthusiasts do expect a certain level of performance in their products. At the very least, EPoX should offer the same options as their competitors. I do however, have issue with Deanril's demanding and self-righteous attitude. There are ways to do things, and ways to do things, and whining about it only makes the whiner look bad. Perhaps in the future, Deanril will be a little more personable.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 8th August, 2002, 11:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

Quote:
Oh my, you are a hot headed one! I never called you names and yet you try to make it look like I am flaming you. I only pointed out that there are options to take the board further, and YES, MrIcee is quite good. The bottom line is the board is what it is and if it doesn't live up to your standards, choose another one. To say that an MSI or Asus board is better only shows that you are mistaken in your perception of this and other boards. I have never seen the MSI, Asus, Soyo or any other, except for Abit, do a better job at overclocking and performance. I will not get into a battle over the net, there are no winners. I will only say that you can't please all the people all the time and if you have a problem, you are more than welcome to ask for help. If you don't like a product, you can choose another one. I prefer Ford trucks myself, where as my friend prefers Chevy (he's wrong of course :-D ), but each to his own. Could luck with your next purchase, I hope it is all that you expect.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Old 9th August, 2002, 12:45 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:

From the looks of it you are not progressing in your quest for answers here. You seem to be more intent on harassing the people who are trying to assist you. In assisting I mean to say the people who are trying to guide you in the proper way to get a legitimate reply to your questions.

The forum hero you are replying to there is actually the forum owner. He is the most level headed and passive of all that I have ever encountered. You will have to do much worse than you have to get yourself banned. BTW, we do not have mods here for just that reason.

Disagreement is the highest point that a thread can evolve to here. This is where people are at their best and opinions flow abundantly. It must be done with an amount of diplomacy though. If it gets childish, then treated like a child the problem person will be. Not by the staff but by ones peers.

Glad you enjoy the forums. I'm sure I speak for most in saying we look forward to your informed and diplomatic posting in the future.
----------------------------------------------