AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th August, 2002, 07:48 PM
Banned

whatever is cooking there, but mine are Bios 2719 and I set in bios "FASTEST" setting, and from top to bottom 200/190/180 Front side bus.

If you have evrything the same and you are still lower, possibly operating system pronlems, or too mant startup proggies running, try shutting them down then bench, my os is XP.
Old 9th August, 2002, 11:33 PM

thanks.. also, there's a guy with KX7-333 equipped with fast DDR ram running@ 197mhz FSB@ higher clockspeed than mine. He lost by 3 points in memory. I won!..
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2002, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatever
thanks.. also, there's a guy with KX7-333 equipped with fast DDR ram running@ 197mhz FSB@ higher clockspeed than mine. He lost by 3 points in memory. I won!..

i have a kx7333 and a epox8k3a and the kx7 beats it pointless at absolutely everything,no matter what bios the epox uses.show me a sandra bench,pc mark must be the worst benchmark on the face of the earth.

*NOTE*
This post edited:

Please find a way to express yourself that doesn't involve needless insults.

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th August, 2002 at 12:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2002, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by herman

i have a kx7333 and a epox8k3a and the kx7 beats it pointless at absolutely everything,no matter what bios the epox uses.show me a sandra bench,pc mark must be the worst benchmark on the face of the earth.

*NOTE*
This post edited:

Please find a way to express yourself that doesn't involve needless insults.
I have no doubt your Abit smokes the Epox thats what Ive been telling these people.

NOW what if you had the Epox with the Abit type bios !!!!
Old 10th August, 2002, 06:52 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Deanril if you push it as far as you can, whether p166 or xp2000 shouldnt you still be happy? I mean, push the 8k3a all the way, and its the same thing? sure it may not be quite as quick as it theoretically could be but its still as fast as is within YOUR means, its still "to the max".

BTW i like your new attitude much better

It would be pretty cool for EPoX to come out with a full on performance bios that isnt buggy or anything. But it probably wont happen, the BIOS engineers are probably figuring out what to do with EPoX's next flagship board.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 10th August, 2002, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Deanril if you push it as far as you can, whether p166 or xp2000 shouldnt you still be happy? I mean, push the 8k3a all the way, and its the same thing? sure it may not be quite as quick as it theoretically could be but its still as fast as is within YOUR means, its still "to the max".

BTW i like your new attitude much better

It would be pretty cool for EPoX to come out with a full on performance bios that isnt buggy or anything. But it probably wont happen, the BIOS engineers are probably figuring out what to do with EPoX's next flagship board.
I should be happy, and generally I have a better attitude but people started in on me first.

They shipped it with the 2312, which ofcoarse needed much improvement but had the performance, most of the rest run great and they took the perfomance away, because either they want you to buy a kt400 or they are paranoid of people hurting their components. YET!!! they give 2.2 & 3.2 doesnt make much sense. IF they gave us a performing Bios with the fixes of the rest of the bios, this would be the alltime best socket A board ever, Its a shame really....
Old 11th August, 2002, 02:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

i think epox need to hear its consumers a bit better...

i keep thinking about getting a new mobo and an XP but the more threads like this i see the less i want an epox board, even if i WOULDNT use those features...

why isnt someone hacking the bios? i bet a few of those bios programmers have a bit of spare time, and might want to help, like ET

@deanril: how do you have the fridge set-up? i thought a constant load kills those minifridges?
Old 11th August, 2002, 02:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

whatever,
Got a question, why do you think my HDD results are so low? I am only getting around 975 with a Maxtor 60 gig 7200 rpm ata133 on WinXP, this is a non OCed system. I think I should be much higher. I got about 1100 with my old Maxtor 20 gig 5400rpm ata100 benching drive using Win98se.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Old 11th August, 2002, 04:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by drow_elf

i keep thinking about getting a new mobo and an XP but the more threads like this i see the less i want an epox board, even if i WOULDNT use those features...

why isnt someone hacking the bios? i bet a few of those bios programmers have a bit of spare time, and might want to help, like ET

@deanril: how do you have the fridge set-up? i thought a constant load kills those minifridges?

You know a constant load might, But I use my computer typically 5 hrs a night. At the end of my use the inside is around 60f(starts at like 35f) and my water is 30f(starts at 15f), but I have run it for like 8 hrs, you can see the temps rise a bit, and they dont come down the compressor comes on, but its usually kinda too late.

If someone were to use 24/7 I think it would be cool and all but not nearly as effective in my purpose(5 hrs). So yes you are right.

I have a better idea allready though

I was at Home depot the other day, any way they have those Chest freezers ,the smallest one around $169 I think it could handle the load better. It would take me about 2 hrs tops to set the whole rig up.

You could mount the mobo upside down in the lid, drill your hole for the cables to come out(regular hole saw bit, for a door handle)
Then mount your powersupply and drives on top of the lid in a Desktop case, put your container for your coolant on the bottom install water cooling hose/pump and blam. Let cool for 24-48hrs and that thing will cool. But you might run into the same problem cause of size so maybe a medium size chest freezer with a big pump.

Freezer: http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/68/80/57...42_500X500.jpg

Desktop case: http://www.in-win.com.tw/home/images/model/H800.jpg
Old 11th August, 2002, 05:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SPQQKY
whatever,
Got a question, why do you think my HDD results are so low? I am only getting around 975 with a Maxtor 60 gig 7200 rpm ata133 on WinXP, this is a non OCed system. I think I should be much higher. I got about 1100 with my old Maxtor 20 gig 5400rpm ata100 benching drive using Win98se.
Alot of those HD benches like it better with a fresh DEFRAG, unless thats how it was give it a shot.
Old 11th August, 2002, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by drow_elf

If I were to wait for a board, it would be either the Nvidia Nforce2 or the KT400. And I would only read(for me) the extreme reviews.

The Nforce2 chipset in the right companies hand will be awesome, you adjust agp/mem/fsb/pci all seprately as to keep your stuff in spec while ocing. The nforce 1 was usless with it dual chanel DDR because the fsb of the K7 wouldnt use it.

Now you take a K7 now unlock it,tbred will be easy to unlock, and run it at 166+ FSB coupled with the Dual Chanel DDR coupled with keeping your agp/pci in spec and you sir have one mean mobo. Ill be looking at ABIT's .

KT400 should be good too I guess .........

And as far as Epox, last time for me, first time also.

As far as hacking the bios Ive been to bios mods, a website they have difficulties with newbios's.

Last edited by Deanril; 11th August, 2002 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11th August, 2002, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by herman

Maybe you spent more time on tweaking the KX7 than the 8K3A?...
You've got the Sandra vs. PCMark bench backwards.
Sandra is the one that is extremely inaccurate, after all, it's pure synthetic benchmark. I don't believe in sandra scores anymore. Get higher Sandra memory but scores worse in 3DMark/Games/PCMARK2002 whereas you get lower score on the Sandra memory but get higher score on the Games/3DMark/PCMark2002????? ermmm..... I go with the option two, that is, Games/3DMark/PCMark2002. Reason: You can actually play games(with effective increase in performance), watch the beautiful 3DMark scenaries... checking out throughly your system by running PCMark. That's what. You can't play Sandra memory bench.

oh and... please do post your PCMark2002 score on the KX7... I wanna see yo.

Quote:
Originally posted by SPQQKY
whatever,
Try OC'ing it. The default speed will get poor results. OC'ing the FSB with tight memory timings and with considerable amount of system mhz increase all help. All this will help push your HDD performance pretty descent. Try to have as much free physical amount of RAM prior to running this bench(that's if you have upto around 256mb of RAM), otherwise shouldn't have to worry about doing it.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 11th August, 2002 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11th August, 2002, 07:20 AM

but yes... I was kidding about the "planet earth" thing. lol

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 12th August, 2002, 02:56 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Anyone with a 8K3A try out this bios?

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...=&postid=90085

It's supposed to solve a couple of problems. I don't know about the fast CPU decode though.

EDIT: Someone's tried it out and it appears that it does have the fast CPU decode option. Apparently though, it maxes out at around 190+FSB.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......

Last edited by mookydooky; 12th August, 2002 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12th August, 2002, 09:29 PM
Banned

Now ya see, when I finally ask for it we get it

Should be just what the doctor ordered try it tonight!
Old 12th August, 2002, 09:41 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by Deanril
Now ya see, when I finally ask for it we get it

Should be just what the doctor ordered try it tonight!
Come on, you knew it was comin' Just a matter of time right?

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 12th August, 2002, 09:56 PM

Me will laugh if they saw this thread and realise peeps like you will be happy if you get what you think you need, a fast decode option, while all it is is the 2312 with the option, so nothing else. Then you all fall for it.

Methinks probably epox bios engineers having joke at your expense, but might actually be good.

Did it not occur to you that si soft sucks big time for one thing. also that maybe due to the fact the board was out before several of the others that there are some things that you get limited to due to an early release. Maybe they had to go with an early versio of something that just doesn't allow fast decode to become stable. Also anything you do to code liek in a bios can make it unstalbe, the very exsistance, even if not used, of a new option in the bios could mae it more unstable. Not that you ever consider there being actual limitations to anything.

T-bred@2.0Ghz | GS GF4Ti4600 | 512MB Win DDR400 |Chieftec Full Blu Audigy |40x cdrw | DVD 16x | 90GB of HD's | 550W PSU | Frog
Watercooled, kinda!!!
Old 12th August, 2002, 10:18 PM
Banned

Me thinks YOU trying to stir this thread up a bit.

Me also know my post here didnt influence 2812, just had to throw that in.

I have some other issues with 2312 not overclocking limitations.

If 2812 has all the fixes from all the bios's and cpu decode then all be darn happy and shut the hell up, thats all I wanted.

In addition the Kt333 chipset on all have been this same as far as I know, ive read a few comparisons some call it KT333 CE and others |KT333. As far as coming out with a good bios Me thinks the following.

Epox is not a long time overclocking company, they do not have 1/10 of the the abilities that abit does. So I think if this bios is better and has cpu decode (ill be mean here) Finally somebody at Epox learned something, other then to follow a generic via factory mobo.(guidelines)Im not talking about 2.2 or 3.2 or 6 chanel audio, im talking bios programing.

Last edited by Deanril; 12th August, 2002 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12th August, 2002, 10:43 PM

Just so you know mr abit lover, ABIT are moving all their productio nover to ECS< so ECS, the generic cheaper budget guys will be making all of ABITS boards in the future. So how good will they be then. Me thinks not as good buy i actually like ecs, well, i like that they use sis chipsets which are highly under rated.

As for bioses and new to overclocking. seriouslym thats jsut carp, for al you know epox offered the guys at abit better paid jobs and they are all at epox now with a bunch of new graduates runnng the bioses at abit. Its all speculation.

The chipset is the same n all the baors, excpet the CE part, which epox and a couple of other boards changed to pretty quickly. But that isn't the whole thing about the board. What i meant was, due to the few weeks peeps wer buying these boards and using them a fault could have been found, a bug fixed with routing, dimm slots, anything. absolutely anything. Even if there were out at the same time you have to remeber the abit and epox boards are different. Jsut because they have the same components doesn't mean both companies will both get everything right.

OH and BTW, i wasnt' trying to stir it up, just pointing out the coincidence, but if this bios is unstable then you'll know why.
Might try it myself now.

T-bred@2.0Ghz | GS GF4Ti4600 | 512MB Win DDR400 |Chieftec Full Blu Audigy |40x cdrw | DVD 16x | 90GB of HD's | 550W PSU | Frog
Watercooled, kinda!!!
Old 12th August, 2002, 11:14 PM
Banned

Abit is not letting ecs make all their boards, they are simply starting a value line wioth their name. All the kick-butt stuff abit will still make.

Asus aswell is starting a value line.

Abit said if you cant beat them join them, as far as partenering up with ECS. Asus just said we will make crap like ECS. Now for ASUS and Abit to start making crap, says one thing ECS was taking alot of market away from them. ECS is the #2 maker of boards in the world they make mainlky oem.