AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th August, 2002, 11:54 PM

one thing, ECS ren't really carp, afaik they just seem that way as there are such hige help me type forums for the k7s5a, i also believe this is one of the biggest selling boards of all time, so the % of problematic ones is still not that high.

As for abit, they already make a budget line, they are moving it to ECS instead of making it themselves, not starting a nex budget line. Also as for their top end boards, they think at the moment that they will decide to move them to ECS aswell, but they can't jsut move them all over instantly, i doubt ECS has the capability to dsign, and implemnt the building of a whole new rage of boards that quickly, but yes, its highly likely(by that i mean more so than not) that they will swtich all production to ECS.

I', pretty sure asus already have a budget line too. Althought their idea of budget is still our idea of pretty high prices.

T-bred@2.0Ghz | GS GF4Ti4600 | 512MB Win DDR400 |Chieftec Full Blu Audigy |40x cdrw | DVD 16x | 90GB of HD's | 550W PSU | Frog
Watercooled, kinda!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2002, 12:12 AM
Banned

ECS will never make abits mainstream boards, nor does abit want them too. Asus doesnt have a value line it will be here soon.

The problem is ECS started selling retail, beforethey sold mainly OEM, some really smart guy over said lets do retail and CHEAP.

So after a year has gone by Asus noticed a huge chunk if its market gone, same with abit to elcheapo boards.

So instead of bringing their profits down and trying to compete they will just do like ecs and make elcheapo one aswell as normal quality ones, abit did one better, told ecs to make them and put their name on it, with a couple of clocking features, which ecs lacks. Abit will write the bios's for these boards aswell.

Msi also took a chink out of both of them,Msi makes a quality product typically 15-20 dollars below abit, and abit is typically 10-15 below asus. Asus doesnt know what value is , they always have high priced boards. But they sure know how much ecs took with their budget boards.

ECS are fine, parts are cheap lack luster features in the bios, but most work fine. I have one in my daughter comp, a
K7S5A and Im typing at work on their intergrated socket A, which is junk, becuse I rma'd it and still came back video didnt work so to save hasles I poped a vid card in it.
Old 13th August, 2002, 02:36 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

When I was in China in June, I stopped by the ECS factory. They have a pretty nice fab there. Obviously I didn't check out everything, but from the stuff I saw, I can see why so few people have problems with their boards (had 4). They're not the fanciest with the most features, but they're made extremely well. They're also made in one of the priciest parts of China so my guess is that the labor there is a little more skilled.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2002, 03:29 AM

I got the BIOS 2812 today and it acts like a 2312. So far, the performance is about equal to 2312. but.... it's unstable. Can't OC much. Currently I'm maxed out at 196mhz FSB, no more.. It also wants a lot of Vmem voltage as much as 3.00V- 3.20V Holy Cowww
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 15th August, 2002, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatever
I got the BIOS 2812 today and it acts like a 2312. So far, the performance is about equal to 2312. but.... it's unstable. Can't OC much. Currently I'm maxed out at 196mhz FSB, no more.. It also wants a lot of Vmem voltage as much as 3.00V- 3.20V Holy Cowww
Which ram did you need 3.2 volts for?
I ask because of the Samsung DDR 400 I was using (testing) would not work unless I put 3.2 volts into it. Or so the bios setting indicated.
Old 15th August, 2002, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LORD

Which ram did you need 3.2 volts for?
I ask because of the Samsung DDR 400 I was using (testing) would not work unless I put 3.2 volts into it. Or so the bios setting indicated.
Mostly I left it running the Samsung PC3200 at 3.00- 3.10V. There were few cases that I ran it at 3.20V for top FSB speeds the BIOS 2312 and 2812. But also it was running at cas222 1T turbo. But it didn't seem to make much difference when lowering the ram timing to normal. I remember my Mushkin PC3200 maxes out at 2.90V@ cas2-3-3 and handle a little lower FSB than my Samsung.

On the other BIOSes, @ 3.00V, goes up to 210 FSB@ cas2.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 15th August, 2002, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatever

Mostly I left it running the Samsung PC3200 at 3.00- 3.10V. There were few cases that I ran it at 3.20V for top FSB speeds the BIOS 2312 and 2812. But also it was running at cas222 1T turbo. But it didn't seem to make much difference when lowering the ram timing to normal. I remember my Mushkin PC3200 maxes out at 2.90V@ cas2-3-3 and handle a little lower FSB than my Samsung.

On the other BIOSes, @ 3.00V, goes up to 210 FSB@ cas2.

Thanks for the info.

I really think that good ram should be able to hit higher speeds with lower volts. Others are getting in excess of 200 speeds and at 2.5 - 2.7volts.

We'll see what happens when I receive some more mem.
Old 15th August, 2002, 09:27 PM

My Corshair 3200 will run 200 at 2.6v, but slow tinings.

At fastest timings and Wpcredit tweaks I can only run 193 at 2.8v

2.8 is the most im willing to run for long periods.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 16th August, 2002, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
My Corshair 3200 will run 200 at 2.6v, but slow tinings.

At fastest timings and Wpcredit tweaks I can only run 193 at 2.8v

2.8 is the most im willing to run for long periods.
My previous point exactly. Trying to run the SAMSUNG with fairly relaxed settings required 3.2v at 200. With the 8K3A+.

It really points to my conclusion that the SAMSUNG DDR400, must be flawed in some way.

Others are also getting mediocre results. So it has to be across the board.

In so far as volts required to run at it's advertised speeds. This will also limit overall potential.