AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th August, 2002, 01:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

dead cpu or mobo?

my friend just got his new XP1900+ and Asus mobo today. only thing is when it turns on nothing much happens: the fans come on, the hdds spin up, the CD drives blink constantly, no video, no beep codes.... it sorta seems to be constantly rebooting....

it has sorry cooling (the online store was mis-representing! he ended up with something slightly worse than what i call "stock") but since its not even POSTing it cant be heat.... when we took off the heatsink to check for core damage, did i mention the horrible clip, we found what looks like a tiny ball of solder stuck in the "gum" next to the cpu... also when he first plugged it in it with all perhiperals it would only stay on for about 1sec, when he took all of them out it would stay on for 12sec, now it stays on but keeps blinking the cd lites... also ive checked the PSU voltages under load w/ a multimeter, theyre all right on (off .02V ....)

my friend can buy a new XP2100+ from a local store for $220 retail version (is this a good price?? doesnt seem so to me... it is an AGOIA....)

so is it a dead CPU or dead mobo? (we cant switch out any parts....)
Old 10th August, 2002, 02:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

what version of asus.......... sigma had problems- have the guy read to manual REALY CAREFULLY.............
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2002, 03:35 AM

not sure but positively a lower end board....

i think everything may be doa due to some $#itty packaging

no foam... the cpu was just in the OEM plastic display case and had magic marker writing on it and was simply placed in the mobo box and shipped
Old 10th August, 2002, 05:59 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sounds like a dead CPU. Clean it off very well, and inspect very closely, if it's chipped or has burn marks.... RMA it.

Don't buy a 2100+AGOIA. You can always get a new 1600+ (newegg for 60 now!!) Mine is running slightly higher than 2100+.
Old 10th August, 2002, 08:03 AM

doesnt seem like hes gonna OC it... he does have a volcano 6+ cu for it though....

cpu looks good except for that small ball of metal i found, it does seem to have a slight discoloration off to one side of the core but i saw that on a few other cpus too