AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd October, 2001, 02:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

Talking yay! no more crashing! :D

ive ben having this relly anoying problem with my computer frezing randomly all the time even at low speeds like 850MHz, so i bumped up the i/o voltage to 3.5(was 3.4, the def is 3.3) witch in turn bumped the vcore to 1.9. now its stable as a rock
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 03:30 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Re: yay! no more crashing! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by fireball_87
ive ben having this relly anoying problem with my computer frezing randomly all the time even at low speeds like 850MHz, so i bumped up the i/o voltage to 3.5(was 3.4, the def is 3.3) witch in turn bumped the vcore to 1.9. now its stable as a rock
Yeah, until it burns up. Then it will be a rock, of charcoal that is (j/k)

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 03:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

on my abit boards, 3.5 has always been default..it's weird like that. I'm glad you got your system rock solid though.
Old 23rd October, 2001, 09:21 PM

doh!

It locked again! *******!!! out of nowhere it just randomly locks. no mouse, no nothin, just freezes! grrrr. I hope my new athy xp box doesn't do third :/
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 24th October, 2001, 12:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

time to do some trouble shooting my friends. Make a note of your bios settings, and then remove all the add-in cards except the vid card from your pc, take out all except for one dimm, in fact a dimm from another computer would be better, and disconect everything expect the hd. Then try booting to windows, if the problems still there try switching the vid card for a differant one, or changing the drivers for it to the default vga ones. If the problems stops when you've cut down to the basic then put each component in one at a time to see if one of them starts making it happen again.
The number of times I've had a problem with my pc that I can't figure and I've done this, then ended up putting everything back in and the problem just being gone is just silly, damned gremlins

Old 24th October, 2001, 12:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

What kind of memory does your machine have? If it's generic, throw it in the trash. Generic memory is natorious for causing the problems you describe . . . . . I recently went through all my machines, removed all generic memory, replaced it with Crucial memory, and noticed a huge improvement in stability and reliability.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 24th October, 2001, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
What kind of memory does your machine have? If it's generic, throw it in the trash. Generic memory is natorious for causing the problems you describe . . . . . I recently went through all my machines, removed all generic memory, replaced it with Crucial memory, and noticed a huge improvement in stability and reliability.
Not all generic memory is that bad, I use it and it's works great and the price was great at the time I got it, granted if I'd waited about 6 months I could have gotten crucial memory for even less but that would have meant waiting 6 months for an upgrade I wanted then at the price I could afford.
don't be to quick to dis generic memory

Old 24th October, 2001, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
don't be to quick to dis generic memory
I'm not really disin' generic memory. Just stating that with the price of name brand memory being what it is, your better off to go for the good stuff and save yourself the head aches. Seriously, even my GF's PC got infused with some Crucial technology, and you know what, it's actually stable now, even though it's running Win98!

AOA Team fah
Old 24th October, 2001, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I'm not really disin' generic memory. Just stating that with the price of name brand memory being what it is, your better off to go for the good stuff and save yourself the head aches. Seriously, even my GF's PC got infused with some Crucial technology, and you know what, it's actually stable now, even though it's running Win98!
I agree, if I were buying memory now I would go for a brand name, but if you bought your memory when prices weren't so low and have generic stuff I still wouldn't recomend throwing it away and buying brand name stuff unless you know for sure it's the problems

Old 24th October, 2001, 12:54 AM

Quote:

I agree, if I were buying memory now I would go for a brand name, but if you bought your memory when prices weren't so low and have generic stuff I still wouldn't recomend throwing it away and buying brand name stuff unless you know for sure it's the problems
$35 or less for lots and lots of memory is a cheap way to find out if the memory was the problem. I mean I can't even take my GF out on the town for $35! Now if your living on a student budget I can see your point, but for most people $35 is nothing.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th October, 2001, 12:57 AM

And as a student you can see why I'm so defensive of my generic ram

Old 24th October, 2001, 01:04 AM

Quote:
And as a student you can see why I'm so defensive of my generic ram
Well two months ago with the price of memory and the price of gasoline being higher than they are right now, I'd probably have sided with you. This summer Gasoline(Petrol?) was around $2 a Gallon, and now its $1.25 a gallon. So I've got more puter money to play with

AOA Team fah
Old 24th October, 2001, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Well two months ago with the price of memory and the price of gasoline being higher than they are right now, I'd probably have sided with you. This summer Gasoline(Petrol?) was around $2 a Gallon, and now its $1.25 a gallon. So I've got more puter money to play with
Well my bus fair went up from 36p to 40p so I'm not a happy camper

Old 25th October, 2001, 01:28 AM

Quote:
its borderline generic the chips are made by Texas Instrumints
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 25th October, 2001, 01:48 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:

Well my bus fair went up from 36p to 40p so I'm not a happy camper
Ummm, is that like .40 pounds? or 40 pounds a month or something like that. It's like 1.45 bucks to the pound sterling (that is what you call it?) right? So like, how about some American costs

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 25th October, 2001, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

Ummm, is that like .40 pounds? or 40 pounds a month or something like that. It's like 1.45 bucks to the pound sterling (that is what you call it?) right? So like, how about some American costs
I thought the British economy was shifting to the euro-dollar or something. Sorry, for the ignorance, but I'm not really in to foreign economy.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th October, 2001, 03:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
I thought the British economy was shifting to the euro-dollar or something. Sorry, for the ignorance, but I'm not really in to foreign economy.
the brits was smart and didnt convert to the Euro dollar if they did
we would hold the strongest Dollar
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 25th October, 2001, 03:30 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber

the brits was smart and didnt convert to the Euro dollar if they did
we would hold the strongest Dollar
I don't think it's that as much as their dislike of they're continental friends. Does Hundred Year's War ring a bell?

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 25th October, 2001, 09:03 AM

There's a huge debate a-brewin over this whole thing.

Basically, as of next year (some time in Feb, although its slightly different in each country) most of Europe will drop their national currencies and replace with the Euro (not officially called a euro dollar, but the sub-units are cents).

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (catchy) has elected to keep the pound for the moment. The government has said that if certain economic tests are met (inflation rates, exchange rates, growth rates etc. I think there are 6 tests in total, but they're all subjective) then they will hold a referendum to let "the people" choose (but not those people who are in jail, mental, living overseas etc).

There is a lot of public opposition to this at the moment because some politicians are setting this up as a big surrender to Europe and we'll lose all our sovereignty .. blah ..blah

This is irsquirt reporting from London for AOA Forums.
Old 26th October, 2001, 02:41 AM

thats 40p as in 40 pence or pennies, the uk equicalent of a cent. So yes 0.40 pounds, which is about 60c or so.