AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th August, 2002, 05:28 PM

Unhappy Enoughs Enough, don't make me larff

I am sick and tired of trying to find the solution to the problems with the 8k3a mainboard, if it was just me and just a couple of minor cliches then I would'nt complain but I've been to many other forums and many more peeps are saying the same and alot worse might I add this board really has some problems, ok it maybe great for some people but for others including myself it is very unreliable, I am not trying to put anyone off buying epox gear only I wish that when problems arise with equipment purchased more help could be given rather than, trying to assume that the fault is with other parts of hardware other than the mobo. I've checked and re-checked and re-checked the settings 4 the drivers, connections, specifications, jumpers, bios settings, memory settings, memory compatability,power suppy, temperatures, everything is as it should be and yet the problems are still there, ie: bsod/fatal exe error/ rebooting at random intervals, some would say this is due to overheating but this is not the case for the 1.2 durron the heatsink is cool to the touch at the base next to the chip mount, surely an indication of non-overheating. so what now............?

Sensible answers please.

Link to last thread:-
Epox 8k3a Help I need advice

System Details:-

Tower case, cd-rw,dvd, 1 psu 550wtts enermax- mainboard ,1psu 250wtts just for the 4 case fans,Durron 1.2 pasted with artic silver to coolmaster heatsink&fan rated2.0gig, 80gig hdd,Gladiac 920 geforce3 64mb agp,dial-up modem 56k,Sound blaster pro pci,Samsung256mg ddr2100,Floppy drive.

Windows98se
Fsb setting = 100mhz
Dram setting = 133mhz
Cpu setting = 100
Jumper setting = 1-2
Temperature = 61c

ps: Memory tested A ok.
Old 18th August, 2002, 07:28 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

SYSTEM reseting is DUE TOO memory setting that are TOO high. Lower your setting down. (IE if you have them set on ULTRA set them to fastest)

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2002, 08:00 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Re: Enoughs Enough, don't make me larff

Quote:
Originally posted by JINXED02
....everything is as it should be and yet the problems are still there, ie: bsod/fatal exe error/ rebooting at random intervals, some would say this is due to overheating but this is not the case for the 1.2 durron the heatsink is cool to the touch at the base next to the chip mount, surely an indication of non-overheating. so what now............?...
In regards to others problems', there are quite a few people having problems, who created them and don't quite understand, and don't want to. They just want it to work like they think it should. (Not saying this is you, & not saying this is everybody.)

For temps, the fact you are getting 61c, and the hs is not hot, to me suggests that it may in fact be overheating. If there is good contact between HSF and CPU, that HSF should be VERY hot. My CPU is at 51c now, and if I touch any part of my HS, it almost burns. If there isn't good contact, the heat isn't being transfered to the HSF. Also, I've only had one coolermaster, and it was low end. Not sure about yours... I just upgraded my mobo, and my temps are kinda high too, so I'll probably open 'er up again, and reseat the HSF, just to be sure.

Good Luck.
Old 18th August, 2002, 09:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

JINXED02, The EPoX Topic is only to be used to find solutions to problems, not condem their products. I've moved your post to "AMD Motherboards and CPU's where such complaints are accecptable."
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2002, 10:35 PM

Re: Re: Enoughs Enough, don't make me larff

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

In regards to others problems', there are quite a few people having problems, who created them and don't quite understand, and don't want to. They just want it to work like they think it should. (Not saying this is you, & not saying this is everybody.)

For temps, the fact you are getting 61c, and the hs is not hot, to me suggests that it may in fact be overheating. If there is good contact between HSF and CPU, that HSF should be VERY hot. My CPU is at 51c now, and if I touch any part of my HS, it almost burns. If there isn't good contact, the heat isn't being transfered to the HSF. Also, I've only had one coolermaster, and it was low end. Not sure about yours... I just upgraded my mobo, and my temps are kinda high too, so I'll probably open 'er up again, and reseat the HSF, just to be sure.

Good Luck.

I have to agree with SteveI. I had the H2o block off center of the
cpu and kept getting lockups and bsod's. temps from the probe on
the block were 25c. mbm said 65c. it was HOT, the water not.
also had a stray wire stop the fan on the hs of my 1800+. the
system shut down before I noticed the lack of fan noise, 5.2k rpm
42dB. it survived. :beer:

AOA Team fah
Old 19th August, 2002, 02:21 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

The Heat Syncs JOB is to GET HOT!!! if it's NOT HOT then I would HIGHLY recomend that you doubt check to make sure that it's seated.

The heat sync ABSORBS the heat from the cpu. That is it's job. It should be atleast warm to the touch.

I hope this helps.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 19th August, 2002, 05:29 AM

I heard the same about my 8K7A back when it was the hot thing, but i havent had any problems with it (as you can see im still running it) but i think it was due to so many people having one. The more people using a board the more problems you will see, and the worse it may look, regardless to weather there is an actual problem with the board.

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Old 19th August, 2002, 02:20 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the usefull advice and I will get back to you when and if I find a solution, while I'm here though does anyone know what the error vxd vmm1..? is as I keep getting it on bsod, Thanx

ps: robbie, I am running my memory speed at normal
Old 19th August, 2002, 03:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

After doing some Googling... Sound Blaster's can give this error, as well as the old Viper770's (which you don't have by your sig).

A number of people have fixed it by d/l and installing the emu10k1.vxd for the Sound Blaster issue.

One guy fixed it by moving his sound card to another PCI slot.

One guy fixed it by changing his AGP aperature from 64 to 16.

One guy said McAfee gave him this error.

Some people get this error when using EZ CD Creator stuff.

Just FYI... I have found many fixes for various issues just by typing in the error message into Google. Amazing the stuff out there, because chances are, you are not the only one with a specific issue.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow

Last edited by Orbit; 19th August, 2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 19th August, 2002, 04:26 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

How old is your Enermax 550 Watt? Robbie's wrong in saying that resets are memory problems. The most likely cuprits for random resets are PSU issues, heat, and the CPU not liking the OC. Memory at set too fast often manifests itself as locks. The reason I ask about your Enermax PSU is that Enermax PSUs more than several months old had problems sustaining voltage on the 5V line. This typically manifested itself as apparent random reboots when the voltage dipped below a certain level. I had the same problem last year with my Enermax 365W until I swapped it for something else. If you have another brand PSU, try swapping it with the one you have.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 20th August, 2002, 12:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Robbie's wrong in saying that resets are memory problems.---
I am afraid i have to disagree- i had problems with ram timings set to high causing random resets---- ps cold be the problem too-
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah