AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd September, 2001, 11:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Tbred sampling yet?

Note that I said "Tbred" not "Tbird". I know a few of the guys here have inside industry sources. So fellas are the 0.13micron AMD parts samping yet???

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2001, 05:15 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Nope I'm afraid
Old 28th September, 2001, 10:25 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

man what i would give to get samples of stuff like that! how much do i have to pay to do it?
Old 29th September, 2001, 05:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to GuNRocK

random i dont think u can pay for something like that....i think u gota have the major hookups like your friends with some high ppl in AMD hehe

and thats somethign i WISH i had...ahha let me add this too my chirstmas list so santa can hook me up
Old 29th September, 2001, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
man what i would give to get samples of stuff like that! how much do i have to pay to do it?
I'd only set you back a few billion. You would need to set-up your own motherboard, SI, or chipset firm . . . . Honestly Beta or Alpha semiconductor products wouldn't be too useful to an overclocker, they are often clocked considerably lower than the production parts will be. I wouldn't be suprised if the Tbred only sampled at 1.5GHz, even though it will probably be initially produced at 1.9-2GHz . . . .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th September, 2001, 06:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

we at the magasine got told of for putting reviews on a 2ghz machine in the magainse that was under an NDA. lol
Old 30th September, 2001, 05:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to killem1x1

Sorry for the NUB question, but what is an NDA?
Old 1st October, 2001, 09:02 AM

NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement

Basically a confidentiality agreement you have to sign before they let you get your hands on the goods.
Old 1st October, 2001, 10:22 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Remember that sampled parts often are throttled in order to not allow overclockers to predict roadmap forecasting. i.e. if a chip will o/c from 1.5Ghz to 2.4Ghz it would allow assumpation of the roadmap for that core.

That is why certain chips have not been as overclockable as AHYJA's - MP anyone !!!
Old 2nd October, 2001, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c
Remember that sampled parts often are throttled in order to not allow overclockers to predict roadmap forecasting. i.e. if a chip will o/c from 1.5Ghz to 2.4Ghz it would allow assumpation of the roadmap for that core.

That is why certain chips have not been as overclockable as AHYJA's - MP anyone !!!
All the more reason to switch back to Intel once they get a decent CPU to market . . . . The P3 coppermines had what only 4 or 5 steppings right? And they all offered a reasonable OC.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd October, 2001, 11:49 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
All the more reason to switch back to Intel once they get a decent CPU to market . . . . The P3 coppermines had what only 4 or 5 steppings right? And they all offered a reasonable OC.
But there's always the Multiplier lock that disables you from getting a mixture of best FSB and best internal Mhz that you can always get out of the processor.

This is why Intel has waned in the overclocking market so much. How much FSB can someone realistically get out of an Air Cooled cD0 P3-1000 ? And what about terminal speed.

You gotta make that Socket A break soon 'bro. It'll all be over at the end of next year when the new socket is realeased and SOHO man and Gamer go hand in hand into 64 bit oblivion.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 11:52 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:

I'm not quite sure just how 4 or 5 steppings has to do with engineering samples?

Engineering samples are precisely that. The steppings that are made are often made during the lifetime of the product, rather than during the engineering samples.

Think of engineering samples as prototypes.

Áedán
Old 2nd October, 2001, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c
You gotta make that Socket A break soon 'bro.
Just waiting for the EPoX EP-8KHA+ to hit pricewatch. I'm so anxiously awaiting that board, that I found my self trying to read Japanese the other day(with very little luck), in hopes of being able to buy one and have it shipped to the US.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd October, 2001, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
I'm not quite sure just how 4 or 5 steppings has to do with engineering samples?
I was replying to Andy's post, which wasn't about Engineering Samples . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd October, 2001, 12:01 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quite rightly AidanII - which is what I was trying to state .

The samples always overclock poorly so as not to give the game away to the mass market. Not to make them think that the chips are bad overclockers.

Athlon MP has been released with the 1.2Ghz part being a poor overclocker. This is to not give away what core speeds are around the corner imminently.

If a 1.2Ghz chip overclocked instantly to 1.8Ghz , people would know that AMD had the core up there instantly and that as such it would be easy to ramp it even further. That way the Roadmap of the processor fab becomes nonsensed and given away, hence why the overclockability of samples is reduced somewhat.

Intel only ever used to get chips with 50% overclocks on the celerons when the multiplier was right, and 33.3% overclocks on Pentium 3's when the multiplier was right. AMD consistently gets overclocks on their Durons which make their purchase a requisite and overclocks on AXIA's, AVIA's and AHYJA's that make their purchase a great thing too.

What Intel short-pipelined dot one eight processor can hit 1.6Ghz ? Come to think of it, which Intel short pipelined processor fabbed on dot one eight can hit 1.25Ghz with air cooling stably and consistently.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 12:05 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Just waiting for the EPoX EP-8KHA+ to hit pricewatch. I'm so anxiously awaiting that board, that I found my self trying to read Japanese the other day(with very little luck), in hopes of being able to buy one and have it shipped to the US.
You won't find one just yet. I heard from a guy in the know that they're doing the first bulk build of them this week. So shipments to the states thereafter (what with air freight being slow at the moment) may prolong that a little.