AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd September, 2002, 09:30 PM

Tbred ID'ed as a Duron?

This is my first post here, and probably like many others, it is a cry for help.

I have a T-bred XP2200+ in an EPoX 8K3A+ M/B. Up until a while back, it was all working fine. However, a few weeks back when trying out a new BIOS (could been 2619) I noticed after a reboot that the CPU was being ID'ed as "Unknow CPU Type 2200+".

Thinking it was the BIOS, I have tried others, including the original 2328. However, nothing seems to fix it.

Now, it wouldn't really be a problem if it was just being mis-read. But Sandra comes up with the L2 cache at 64KB, as does PCMark2K2. PCMark2K2 goes so far as to actually list the CPU as a Duron. 3DMark lists it as a Thoroughbred, but still lists the L2 cache at 64KB.

I seem to get lower scores on the CPU benchmarks than others with similar setups. I have yet to try to determine the actual working size of the L2 cache (I suppose cacheman or somthing will work).

So, any ideas? Anyone else encountered this before (a google search turned up 2 hits, neither of which were useful).

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. The CPU was unlocked using the L5 jump, but I cleaned that off after the problem started.
Old 3rd September, 2002, 02:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

A lot of the Tbred 2200+'s were RMAed by OEMs because of temperature related issues. Perhaps the L2 cache is eaily damaged by the heat?

Gut out of curiosity, what are all the cache options in the BIOS set to?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 3rd September, 2002 at 05:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd September, 2002, 03:56 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I had a duron come up as a Tbird. Still runs and overclocks GREAT (I'm posting using it right now.)

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd September, 2002, 01:30 PM

Thanks Dimm - I was thinking it may have been a heat related problem as well. I'm not sure how it could get damaged in such a selective way (the 64KB L2 works), but who knows.

The cache is enabled in the BIOS, as is L2 ECC correction (tried it on and off).

I ran cachemem, and it seems to agree with the identified size. I get high BW to 64KB (L1) and medium up to 128KB set size.

Not happy with this, so I just placed an order for a 2100+. Anyone interested in an 1800MHz Duron??
Old 3rd September, 2002, 04:46 PM

Turn ECC off that will screw you up.

The office Tbread registers as a duron in some programs and 3dmark (getting a duron score of 12000 seemd a little odd) Although the 8k3a+ bios picks it up as a XP-2000 fine (ours is XP-2000 not 2200)

Make sure you use the latest official bios for your 8k3a+

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 3rd September, 2002, 05:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Like Holst says, keep L2 ECC turned off . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd September, 2002, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the replies.

As for ECC - I can set it either on or off - no difference.

And it's not just ID'd as a Duron in some programs. It also lists the L2 cache size at 64KB. And cachemem seems to agree with this, indicating that only 64KB of the L2 cache is enabled.

I have tried all recent BIOS versions, from 2328 to 2815. No difference. I think its just fried.

BTW, with a regular old Athlon 1200TB everything is ID'd OK, and L2 cache is listed correctly at 256KB.
Old 4th September, 2002, 10:25 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

hehe you could brag about it being the fastest duron in the world! I'd keep it personally!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 5th September, 2002, 01:59 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sure, the "world's fastest Duron" has coolness, but eating the price of a defective XP 2200+ also makes it the world's most expensive Duron.

RMA the booger. Perhaps the extra touch of interior heat simply murderized connections to the rest of the L2 cache? I cross my fingers when I get a new processor, none of us want to RMA that purty little chunk of violet glass! Maybe, crossing fingers, you'll get a newer stepping back!
Old 5th September, 2002, 01:18 PM

Well, I would RMA it, but it's OEM and a few months old now.

I got the 2100+ in, and it works fine. All I can say is I know now why they spent a few months reworking the T-bred core for the new 2400+ and 2600+ parts - the old part is simply, ridiculously hot.

The 2100+, even at 0.18u vs 0.13u, 1.75V vs 1.65V, runs a good 10-12C cooler than the 2200+. That small die size in the 2200+ really kills cooling.

I wonder if I contact AMD directly and accuse them of releasing a processor with an obviously flawed design (such that they took a few months to fix it) they might offer to replace it?
Old 5th September, 2002, 11:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's worth a try! As you have a XP 2100+, you're only taking a 66 Mhz step down in Clock Speed.

If AMD acts like a normal modern corporation, which it isn't, at least to the untrained eye, they'll insist that your XP 2200+ is the finest processor in the history of, yadda. Nothing could possibly be amiss in its design and fabrication.

Have you tried this problem child in another mainboard?
Old 6th September, 2002, 02:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

My C3 has l2 ECC on as default. is this bad?
Old 6th September, 2002, 06:55 PM

Thumbs up

Well, I wrote an e-mail to AMD tech support with my complaint. Much to my surprise, they are offering to RMA the chip with a lower speed grade (2100+). This is far in excess of my expectations, and dealing with customer support has so far been a very pleasant experience.

I was prepared to be a tad anti-AMD after this, but this experience has turned it around. I've been using AMD for 3 generations now, and will probably make it a 4th someday.
Old 6th September, 2002, 09:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's forums, vandersl!

Imagine that, AMD will RMA your OEM 2200+. Saints be praised!

Please let us know when you actually get your 2100+ replacement.
Will you miss the Duronesque 2200+ that you need to send them in exchange? Kinda doubt it.
Old 7th September, 2002, 06:28 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode
My C3 has l2 ECC on as default. is this bad?
It's been enabled by Default for a long time in the BIOS of quite a few of the newer mainboard's. Seems that people recommend disabling it only for one reason. Easier OCing.
Are you planning on OCing your *world famous Blue Meanie? C3's are very good in the niche they inhabit. Personally, I'd leave mine at stock, if I had one.

*Yes, Spode's home spun little Via Eden machine made it to the top spot at one of Via's Web sites. Please see www.spodesabode.com for the story. Well done, Spode! It's a very cute(and capable) little machine.