AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2002, 05:13 AM
The_Silverite

Angry Tyan Tiger MP: Strangle the designer?

Has anyone had any experience with a Tyan Tiger MP (I forget the model #, but it's the non-SCSI one with no onboard A/V, no onboard NIC, etc).

What I'm griping about is the total assness of the design of the area around the AGP port. Right beside it (to the left, or the "back" of it, I guess you could say) is a large cylindrical electronic component that sticks up RIGHT WHERE a video card would go. I'm unable to screw in my GeForce2 MX because of this thing; I swear I'm lucky that the thing's even useable. Does anyone make video cards that negate this, or is it all the mobo's fault?

Lemme help you get a better picture of what the innards of te case looks like... the video card is not firmly in the slot, because the card contacts with this thing near where the monitor port is located on the card.

Anyone else ever have such a problem? I find it hard to believe that Tyan would ship such an ass-like mobo knowing it may conflict with a lot of graphics cards.
Old 4th September, 2002, 07:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I have an extra one laying around..... and your right!!! WOW- i was going to put a GF2 MX into it to!!! Ouch! they must have been morons cause you cant use larger heatyncs on it!!
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2002, 10:20 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Soyder im not sure if you are being sarcastic there......

The thing is, i REALLY doubt the problem would occur with the kind of graphics card that was meant to go in a workstation / server. I havent layed hands on the board myself, but i somehow doubt tyan could sell them if no graphics cards fitted. as to the heatsink size thing, in a workstation/server who is gonna be overclocking and needing a huge heatsink? very few people.

The nicest dual cpu amd board i have seen would be MSI's has everything u expect from and OC board. but 2 cpu sockets!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2002, 09:08 PM
The_Silverite

Was that sarcasm?

The thing is, given the price of the motherboard, and the price of DDR ram, and the price of MP processors, I don't think Tyan would intentionally design a mobo that poses a hindrance to gamers. A dualie setup is affordable, and lots of gamer-types would jump at it, and I think Tyan knows it.

It looks like the gigabyte radeon 9700 ain't fittin' in here, either... and I want a radeon 9700.

I'm looking at other mobos now. maybe I'll even e-mail Tyan about this problem. If I end up getting a new mobo, I'll probably just turn this machine into a file server, or something to loan a few threads for raytracing. Or start folding... But I'd need a job first.
Old 4th September, 2002, 09:12 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Silverite
Was that sarcasm?
...Or start folding... But I'd need a job first.
Hey... why wait???
If you've got 2 CPUs running ... get'em both folding pronto... :-D :-D
Old 5th September, 2002, 02:09 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I've been reading bad reports of Tyan mainboards for years. Cheap SMP is gonna be less than good, and Tyan fills the bill.

I'm sure they make some good models of mainboards. But I read about the bad ones four times more often than the good ones. However, this Vidcard debacle really takes the cake!
Old 5th September, 2002, 08:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

i was seriouse....... they were IDIOTS when they did this board dudes..... my AX7 wont fit and my extra GF2 wont fit-
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 5th September, 2002, 04:02 PM
The_Silverite

Do you have any video cards that will fit it, or know of any that will?

Looks like I'm gonna have to try to find my warranty info... is it 90 days, or 1-year? If I get that MSI board, I'll switch from a Tommyknockers to a Knight Rider-themed mad idea...
Old 5th September, 2002, 04:14 PM
The_Silverite

Updated info

This issue is not addressed over at the FAQ page fo rthis board:
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_tg_mp.html

perhaps there was a bad run of this board, and they fixed the problem? Maybe they just don't want to address such a flaming problem in an FAQ...

Their video support page doesn't list any GF2 cards, nor did I notice any AX7 cards on the list.
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/vid...ort.html#s2460

Logical browsing of their site turned up nothing, so I'm going to e-mail them to see if they can swap it out for a board that will work, or if I can get a refund of sorts.
http://www.tyan.com/html/contact.html

Hopefully the person that gets my e-mail speaks English...
Old 5th September, 2002, 05:43 PM

Can you take a Pic ?

If its just a cap then you can unsolder it put it on some good wire and lie it down, or even move it to the back of the board.

You could jsut buy a propperly designed MP board (M762A)

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 6th September, 2002, 02:06 AM
The_Silverite

Yet another update on the situation

Tyan gets a whopping 0 in the customer support document. I fired off an e-mail, and when I checked my mail tonight, I had two e-mails from them.

The first was just a cut-n-paste of an FAQ for that board, again no info on the naughty capacitor.

The second was an explanation that when I e-mail them, I need to include the product ID in the subject (in this case, the SP2460). The entire process was automated. I got no answer about the capacitor, and no answer to my inquiries concerning a replacement of the board.

This mobo is officially the last Tyan product I will have bought. No more from them for me.
Old 6th September, 2002, 02:11 AM
The_Silverite

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Can you take a Pic ?

If its just a cap then you can unsolder it put it on some good wire and lie it down, or even move it to the back of the board.

You could jsut buy a propperly designed MP board (M762A)
No new mobo for a while. I need a new monitor (this one's about had it) and I need Warcraft III.

I don't have a camera, and I don't know anything about soldering electrical components (I'm no electrician).

**Another update to my situation**
Tyan had a line in that paste of an FAQ e-mail that I skimmed over.
Quote:
If the answer to your question was not
found in any of the above websites, please send original email to
techsupport2@tyan.com
I'm gonna e-mail them one more time, and maybe they can provide decent service this time.