AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th September, 2002, 07:32 PM
The_Silverite

Conclusion of my Tyan S2460 ordeal

My e-mail follows:
Quote:
On the S2460, there is a capacitor sticking up right "behind" the AGP port. This capacitor makes it impossible to properly install a video card. I currently have a GeForce2 MX _just barely_ in the slot. It won't go in all the way, and I can't apply the screw to secure it in it's place. The card's monitor port is touching the capacitor, and there is no way that this card is currently going to fit.

Is there a way Tyan can replace my board with a functioning one? The warranty should still be good, I've only had for about 2 months or so. If I can't get it replaced, could I get a refund, or will I have to try to go through the e-tailer I bought it from in order to get a replacement or a refund?
And Tyan's reply:
Quote:
If you look at the list of qualified video cards you would see that there are many cards that work with this motherboard. That capacitor will not block a video card from seating completely in the AGP port. An edge of the PCB that is part of your video card might run across the top but it no means will keep the card from seating properly, or cause any concern for shorting or etc. We have tested a very wide range of cards and all that are listed work correctly and seat correctly.

In conclusion: "****** Tyan." I'm gonna re-solder the capacitor in a manner which will pose no threat to the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, thereby posing no threat to my current video card as well.

My next board'll probably be an MSI. That red PCB on that board would go well with the red PCB of the 9700...
Old 6th September, 2002, 10:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ouch! What an unhappy and expensive ending. Sorry to read this, The_Silverite! Perhaps Tyan will lose some prospective sales when folks read your thread, and this conclusion. We can but hope.

Is there a chance that an "oddball" Vidcard will actually fit into this "Free and clear, we guarantee it" AGP slot? An inexpensive Vidcard with an older SiS chipset on it, for example?
Old 6th September, 2002, 11:00 PM
The_Silverite

Dunno. This was a relatively inexpensive video card. I'm probably gonna have to re-solder the capacitor somewhere down and to the right, possibly even laying it on it's side. should be out of the way of any future cards.

I really want to take my sword the the craniums of Tyan's design team for this one.

I bought the components for, and asembled a dual-processor box, knowing the benefits of doing so. You'd *think* I know how to install a video card properly. "it no means from seating the card properly" my ass. If it seated properly, do you think I'd have bothered writing the e-mail?

Just in case anyone hasn't gotten it yet, my advice is to stay away from the Tyan MP boards. MSI looks better, and it can be overclocked easier, and it's red, too! (I understand there's compatability with wide heatsinks on it though). Tyan's customer service officially sucks, too.