AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th September, 2002, 08:14 PM

2200+ can't unlock with 8K3A+

I have tried unlocking this damn chip 10 times over, wire trick on the pins, last L3 bridge, even soldering the board. Nothing. Can't change multipliers. Won't POST. Any ideas??
Old 6th September, 2002, 09:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The unlocking of a CPU is completely separate from your motherboard.

Once properly unlocked any mother board that has Multiplier options will set you to a new default, 733 if I remember right.

Unless your very very good with solder,and you may be, you may have done your chip harm. I'm assuming that you soldered the CPU bridges?

Will it still boot at defaults?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2002, 09:03 PM

sounds like you broke it

How exactly did you try to unlock it, its just a simple paint around the last L3, no need for solder and you dont need to touch the CPU pins (unless your motherboard has no multiplyer selection)

What motherboard ?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2002, 09:23 PM

Epox 8K3A+

Tried the U with conductive paint around the last L3 bridge, nothing, tried connecting the pins on the bottom of the CPU with a wire, and then conductive paint, again nothing with either. Also tried soldering the same bins but on the mobo socket. Same ****, nothing at all.

Do I need to close all the L1 bridges??
Old 6th September, 2002, 09:24 PM

And NO I did not break it, it still works fine with a 13.5X, just wont POST with any other X.
Old 6th September, 2002, 10:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Are you working from a picture of some kind so your sure (sounds like you are) that your mugging the right Bridge?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 6th September, 2002, 10:22 PM

if you got paint inside the L3 bridge then you might have locked it permanently at 13.5, try removing the pin mod and very thoroughly clean off all the conductive paint from the L3 then try again.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 20th September, 2002, 05:19 PM

BOllocks to all that. I did this first time with pencil. Didn't work, i hear its not conductive enough anymore. I then tried the paint and it didn't work, was unaware about the pit stuff as i'd never had a diff XP cpu and no one mentioned it in the t-bred unlocking threads.

ANyway, dunno if it did anything. BUt when installing new mobo i took it out, couldn't ge the paint off, got my pins and carfully hacked the whole lot off, also got a tiny bit of it out of the trench all though i can still see silver down there and its working unlocked in new mobo now.

T-bred@2.0Ghz | GS GF4Ti4600 | 512MB Win DDR400 |Chieftec Full Blu Audigy |40x cdrw | DVD 16x | 90GB of HD's | 550W PSU | Frog
Watercooled, kinda!!!
Old 23rd September, 2002, 11:25 PM

I'm having the same problems - just painted round the 5th L3 bridge w/ silver conductive paint in a U-shape. Still locked at 13.5.

Took it out and added another coat - same problem. Could have got some silver in the pit on the second run tho - does this matter? I was thinking of doing the wire unlock to the pins on the rear of the cpu but after reading this I'm not so sure. So much for the T'bred being easy to unlock...
Gainward 6800LE 16x1,6vp @ 360/840
Windows 2000 Pro SP4