AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th September, 2002, 09:11 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

8k3a+ and Corsair 3200.

Not really sure if this is a problem or not. Bought a 256 stick of Corsair XMS3200 cas 2.5 about 3 weeks ago. Installed in Epox 8K3A+ with partially unlocked XP1600+. Cant get 0.5 multipliers.

What's happening is that The ram seems to be stable at Turbo settings all the way to 190 FSB with 2.8V. Stable at 193 with Normal settings and 3.0V. Try to boot at 194 with anything up to 3.2V and all that happens is that I get messages from windows that it cannot boot because file XXXXis corrupted. It's not the same file every time. Win2k with SP2. Multiplier set at 8 so its not the cpu.

As this ram is supposed to be good for 200FSB can any one give any clues on whats happening. My limited thoughts are that it's either the ram not performing or is there a chance that the hard drive isnt liking the higher fsb? Its a seagate 40Gb 5400 MOdel no 340810A
Old 10th September, 2002, 12:08 PM
Banned

I'm willing to bet it's the harddrive, but that kinda stinks as 50mhz is not typically enough to cause HD corruption unless the drive is a really poor overclocker (like my older WD was).

The video card would cause visual errors, the rest of your components should be close enough to spec not to cause issues...

Last edited by Pinky; 10th September, 2002 at 12:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2002, 04:21 PM

Possible insufficent PSU ?

My XMS-3200 runs 196fsb fastest timings with fast command enabled.
It also depends on the bios, if you run a less agressive bios 27XX can you get to 200 at stock timings ?

I very much doubt its your HDD at those low fsb, most likely memory or PSU.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2002, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Possible insufficent PSU ?

My XMS-3200 runs 196fsb fastest timings with fast command enabled.
It also depends on the bios, if you run a less agressive bios 27XX can you get to 200 at stock timings ?

I very much doubt its your HDD at those low fsb, most likely memory or PSU.
Wher in the BIOS do I find fast command? I seem to have lost it...senior moment (I've got CRS, sorry!)
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 10th September, 2002, 05:45 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Also, you can test for the HDD this way. At 200FSB /5, the PCI bus is running at 40mhz. If you run your FSB @ 160mhz, the mobo should be running with a 1/4 divider, in which case, your CPU should be fine (set it to 133), and only your PCI should be overclocked.... @ 40mhz. If it's the hdd failing at 200, it should also fail at 160. (in theory anyway).

edit: oops, I meant set mem to 133 so that you are running synch with FSB @ 160.

Last edited by SteveI; 10th September, 2002 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10th September, 2002, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try all that and post back. Probably be a few days as works a bit busy

I must be learning something though. I was going to try it at 165 as the 1/5 doesn't come in till 166. Thanks Steve I. I wasnt sure if it was still dependent on FSB
Old 10th September, 2002, 08:26 PM

Or to test HDD further run at 165fsb.

I doubt your having HDD problems to be honest.

Fast command decode isnt an option its different on different bios.

27XX bios have it off 28XX have it enabled, try running a 27XX bios

Old 10th September, 2002, 08:38 PM

Cpu can also have a bearing on the ability of the setup to run at high fsb.

I know you commented on using an 8x multi. Try 7 just to be certain...

It can also be some of the other things mentioned. If the HD isn't on the Raid controller, lower the rating even down to ATA 33 just to see.

Goodluck,

Old 11th September, 2002, 09:31 AM

Thanks lord. If I understand you, youre saying make sure the cpu's not maxed out. Shouldn't be as its been running for the last few days at 1846, well over 8X194. Or am I misunderstanding what youre saying?
Old 11th September, 2002, 01:40 PM
Banned

Lord's suggesting that unlocking is not an exact art, and sometimes the multipliers appear to work only to cause grief later on.

**Also, some processors (seen this myself) will run higher speeds only with lower bus speeds.**

Lord's saying "try running the processor clock slower but leave the memory the same (this is to determine if your memory or cpu is the cause)."

I still think the HD is crapping out...

Last edited by Pinky; 11th September, 2002 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11th September, 2002, 01:54 PM

Thanks all. I'm hoping to start working through the suggestions tonight
Old 11th September, 2002, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dod
Thanks lord. If I understand you, youre saying make sure the cpu's not maxed out. Shouldn't be as its been running for the last few days at 1846, well over 8X194. Or am I misunderstanding what youre saying?

To explain a little more. I had / have still a 1600 that ran great even at 1950 mhz. However it did not like anything over 197 fsb with Corsair XMS3200 c2 or any other ram for that matter, installed on the 8K3A+.

I lowered the speed down to no more than 1600 or so and 200fsb speeds were possible. Even higher speeds eg 204 - 205 were then achievable.

Yet when running up to 195 fsb memory speeds. No problems were encountered.

However it still may be the hard drive as I and other's have pointed out.

Last edited by LORD; 11th September, 2002 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11th September, 2002, 04:48 PM

Another point is that a bad unlock can cause all manner of problems, especially unusual and unexpected stability problems.

It might be worth doing your overclock again and getting all multiplyers working.

LORD is also correct that some chips just wont run high fsb and very high mhz at the same time (if you do find this check your PSU is ok)

Old 11th September, 2002, 09:44 PM

Interesting.

First, running at 164 wasnt a problem the hard drive seems to be fine running that far out of spec. Looped 3dm just for a quick trial and the only issue was in Nature which was juddery so maybe the graphics cards not that keen.

Second, on 2719 yes I can get to 200 with 3.0V with timings set to normal but plenty of AGP tearing, starting from post. First time I've seen that. Scary. I didn't take in any higher. At risk of annoying folk is that why some are wanting to know about this 1/6 divider so it will take things back into spec at 200?

Third, Boots fine at 200*7/8/9.

For final information the PSU probably isnt great. Its labelled Chieftec (Didn’t ET say they don’t make PSU’s?) Model No HPC-300-202. Running at 170X10.5 with 1.9Vcore and 2.7Vdimm MBM shows the following.

5V line = 4.76 to 4.81
12V line = 412.77 to 12.82

Quoted specs are 5V 25A, 12V 13A, 3.3V 20 A. Combined max on 5 and 3.3 is 180W with 156 on the 12V. Two papst 80mm case fans plus Ystech 80mm on cpu. Cant check the wattage theyre going round too fast to read. Usual DVD cdrw etc.

So if I'm reading this right it simply looks like the ram seems okay but cant handle the faster bios at higher fsb with faster timings? If thats the case then all I need to do is keep testing different settings to find out which gives the best overall performance and stability for my set up? Or am I wrong again. Damn it seems to be the more I learn the less I know. Very frustrating.

When I compare the psu with others it certainly seems to have lower output that some others and I have no idea about its quality of output. Dont tell me, Sparkle 400.

Thanks again.
Old 11th September, 2002, 11:24 PM

It sure sounds to me like the 5 v rail is too low. That system is 5 volt hungry. One of these (350 min) will do fine, lots of people, including myself, are running them.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 12th September, 2002, 02:11 AM
Banned

Looks like some of us were wrong then, it probably is not the harddrive but the cpu dying because the power supply isn't up to delivering a strong 5V rail.

Like uncle bob says, getting an overclocking friendly PSU will help matters greatly. I have an Antec for some $$ more, but well worth the warranty that comes with it and seems to be a champ overclocker for future boards too...
Old 12th September, 2002, 05:15 PM

sorry guys. meant to say thanks for the help.
Old 12th September, 2002, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dod
sorry guys. meant to say thanks for the help.
Hey, hope your problems are vanished! Let us know what's up with it, we are a curious lot here! LOL

Old 13th September, 2002, 02:57 PM

LOL the problems not gone but at least I know what it is. I'm just deciding do I go for a new PSU or accept the limitations of the one I've got. I think I know the answer already. More $$$ You guys get good prices compared with us.
More or less replaced the whole shop bought rig now. Hmmm, is there enough for a folding rig under the bed???
Old 13th September, 2002, 06:45 PM

Probably!