AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th September, 2002, 01:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Grentarc

The nForce has dual controllers, but only 3 slots!!!!!
The thing is, the first slot is on a sepperate channel to the other two, therefore, if you put ram into the 2nd and 3rd slot, you get no improvement on performance, whereas you put ram in the 1st and 2nd, your performance increases!

Last edited by Grentarc; 24th September, 2002 at 01:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2002, 07:16 PM

Well anyway. The ebay supplier has sent me a new 8kta3 so I;m sticking with this. He did great service (plug grapevinecomputers.co.uk). I tihnk I'll use the board and duron for a while. Then I'll sell them on ebay and sell this laptop which I've discovered I only use for email and also as a backup - even though my router does all of these things adequately. Then once I've scrounged that dosh in and called in a few debts I'll order the stuff at the mo ebuyer will cost me:
XP1600+, 8K3A, FDD, 2XRounded ATA133 and 1X rounded floppy all for £140 (free postage as its over £100) and also £27 or something for 128@pc2700 from crucial.com not sure if I want to pay double to get 256mb. TOTAL COST: £170-ish

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2002, 09:29 PM

the second 8kta3 from that guy (my third in total) never got as far as initialising the display. ALthough the guy was very helpful his stock is all returns to epox that have been fully tested. the first one seemed in perfect condition but the second one had dust on it. Both had been tested by the distributing company but the date was several months before they sent them to me - I know storage shouldn't have any effect on such a product but I don't know what the environment there is like and the boxes were ina bit of a dodgy condition. Anyway I'm sending them both back for a refund. That dosh will then go straight towards my 8k3a only a difference of about £20. I may have to go for a 8k3a+ as ebuyer has run out of the non+ ones. depends on my timing.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th September, 2002, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stigweed
Well anyway. The ebay supplier has sent me a new 8kta3 so I;m sticking with this. He did great service (plug grapevinecomputers.co.uk). I tihnk I'll use the board and duron for a while. Then I'll sell them on ebay and sell this laptop which I've discovered I only use for email and also as a backup - even though my router does all of these things adequately. Then once I've scrounged that dosh in and called in a few debts I'll order the stuff at the mo ebuyer will cost me:
XP1600+, 8K3A, FDD, 2XRounded ATA133 and 1X rounded floppy all for £140 (free postage as its over £100) and also £27 or something for 128@pc2700 from crucial.com not sure if I want to pay double to get 256mb. TOTAL COST: £170-ish
If you are going with windows XP, get 256mb. 128 is the bare minimum to run it.
Join the revolution! Eliminate floppy drives forever! Buy a $20 compact flash reader and a couple CF cards. These come in internal designs that you can put in a 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" bay, as well as external! Encourage motherboard manufacturers to include this with their boards. It's a cheap PCB, folks. It shouldn't add more than $5 to the cost.
Please feel free to copy this and put it in your own sig.
Old 27th September, 2002, 06:14 PM

I've run winxp (slowly i'll give you that) on my AMD K6-2 router with 64mb PC100. And I'm running it on my p2-366MHz w/64mb@pc133 laptop. I reckon 128 will serve me fine; i tweak my xp to minimum resource drainage and doubling the ram will send the price up another £25-30. I have found that the more RAM you have, the slower winxp loads and significantly so. Not sure exaclty why. It's to do with it checking the RAM or something. Hibernate definitely makes a difference with mroe RAM. Will probably just buy more ram when the price falls.

AOA Team fah