AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th September, 2002, 09:17 PM

New System - Your thoughts

After a year my EP8kta3 died. I replaced it with a 2nd hand one from ebay which has died also after 2 weeks (possibly my fault). Appears my Athlon is completely wasted (it will be a keyring soon...) and since my Duron has been in the 2nd hand mobo I'm not sure what state it's in and it's also 2nd hand. I guess you get what you pay for.

Here's what I was thinking of replacing it with:
EP8K3A
Athlon XP 1600+
both from www.ebuyer.com total cost about £130 (I have never been able to find anywhere cheaper that supplies the UK). I will also need some RAM; ebuyer generic RAM is cheap but will brand name quality add a lot of performance? I'm looking to overclock, do games (already have a Radeon 9000 64mb DDR so that ain't a problem). I don't need bleeding edge KT400/PC3100 performance but you know it's a nice feeling having power under the hood even if you don' REALLY need it ('need' in the life/death sense of the word). Budget is very much a consideration since I sunk about £200 into those 4 knackered components.

Can anyone recommend a better (value) motherboard or better supplier? (I have had experience of ebuyer making mistakes in my favour - ie I got a 64mb GF2MX instead of the 32mb i paid for)

Soz for all the text.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2002, 10:45 PM
Banned

Re: New System - Your thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by stigweed
I don't need bleeding edge KT400/PC3100 performance but you know it's a nice feeling having power under the hood even if you don' REALLY need it ('need' in the life/death sense of the word). Budget is very much a consideration since I sunk about £200 into those 4 knackered components.
You just about summed up my components purchasing strategy .
Old 12th September, 2002, 03:36 AM
Banned

I've been thinking along those same lines. BANG for the BUCK!

Sounds good.

BRUNO:-D
Old 12th September, 2002, 10:39 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Hi Stigweed.

I've got the 8k3a+ and am delighted with it. The 8k3a apparently performs just the same so it should be good. Having said that the newer 8k5a2+ has additional features and looks to be exceptional. Its about £20 more though so it all depends on the budget.

Just as an option I think overclockers.co.uk are doing the 1600+ with the AGOIA stepping. I think they're putting out the '4' just now instead of the 'Y' but its still pretty good. Slightly more expensive than ebuyer but only about £6 for what might be a better stepping. YOu might also have delivery. Might be worth checking both to see what theyre putting out just now.
Old 12th September, 2002, 12:54 PM

Steer clear of generic RAM, it will eventually come back to bite you in the patooter! It's ok for a stock system, it usually doesn't stand up to any over-volting and can be traced to random lockups and reboots. I speak from experience! I have even bought some of this memory that was bad from the get go. The other stuff, I put it in systems for those 'grannies' who want a stock system! Another rule: You usually get what you pay for!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2002, 06:14 PM

Well at crucial.com higher speed RAM modules are only about £3 mroe than the ebuyer generic PC2100 ones and there's free delivery. I'm trying a new bios chip first but the more I hear the more i want the 8K3A... mmmmmm asynchronous RAM

AOA Team fah
Old 12th September, 2002, 07:19 PM

the overclocker's xp1600 is about £20 more over all and I still have no guarantee that it'd be one of those good overclocking cores. I'm not too bothered about that really. I know it's no real sign of how ebuyer's one willl perform but my old TBird OCd almost as well as the good old AYHJA and I think it topped out because my cheap RAM was reventing me from upping the FSB past 136MHz!

AOA Team fah
Old 12th September, 2002, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
Steer clear of generic RAM, it will eventually come back to bite you in the patooter! It's ok for a stock system, it usually doesn't stand up to any over-volting and can be traced to random lockups and reboots. I speak from experience! I have even bought some of this memory that was bad from the get go. The other stuff, I put it in systems for those 'grannies' who want a stock system! Another rule: You usually get what you pay for!
I've exactly the opposite experience.
I always buy cheap generic from ebuyer and I've had no problems with it.
oh well, you never know.
Old 12th September, 2002, 08:39 PM

I ran SiSoft Sandra on my 8kta3 which has a KT133a chipset and pc133 ram. My memory bandwidth benched about 20% lower than it should have done even with overclocks, optimized OS and different OSes. i put this down to ebuyer RAM tho i've never had reliability problems with it but others have.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th September, 2002, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by loop

I've exactly the opposite experience.
I always buy cheap generic from ebuyer and I've had no problems with it.
oh well, you never know.
Ther's a certain company that's pretty popular here in the states (no bashing, Bob!...good boy)) and I got pretty badly burned by them. I learned my lesson the hard way; I paid for it! I'm glad you found a reputable company to deal with, actually an oasis out there it seems at times.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 16th September, 2002, 04:00 AM

A good company for good memory is Corsair, their XMS series will send you to the sky. Buying generic ram is like sabotaging your own overclocking. Get brand name.
Join the revolution! Eliminate floppy drives forever! Buy a $20 compact flash reader and a couple CF cards. These come in internal designs that you can put in a 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" bay, as well as external! Encourage motherboard manufacturers to include this with their boards. It's a cheap PCB, folks. It shouldn't add more than $5 to the cost.
Please feel free to copy this and put it in your own sig.
Old 16th September, 2002, 07:11 PM

Crucial's memory is only like a few quid mroe than the equivalent on ebuyer but there's FREE POSTAGE and you've got that brand name quality. I don't know where to get Corsair in the UK.

The supplier of my ebay 8KTA3 said he was willing to replace it. I'm trying the new BIOS from epox as soon as it arrives. I still really want the 8k3a though. Maybe I'll sell the 8kta3+duron on ebay, the thought of that DDR speed is too much to resist...

AOA Team fah

Last edited by stigweed; 16th September, 2002 at 09:44 PM.
Old 16th September, 2002, 07:39 PM

P.S. Running memory asynchronously with AMD actually hurts performance. AMD's dual pumped bus can only handle a certain amount of bandwidth, and that is the same as pc2100. (p4's can handle TWICE that, so async is good for them.) If you want more bandwidth, unlock your processor and increase the FSB. Many new boards will hit 166fsb without blinking. Just make sure you get one with the 1/5 pci divisor.
Join the revolution! Eliminate floppy drives forever! Buy a $20 compact flash reader and a couple CF cards. These come in internal designs that you can put in a 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" bay, as well as external! Encourage motherboard manufacturers to include this with their boards. It's a cheap PCB, folks. It shouldn't add more than $5 to the cost.
Old 16th September, 2002, 07:42 PM

Oh, yeah, you could also try samsung pc2700... another good brand. I just wish I knew what was available on the other side of the big pond....
Old 16th September, 2002, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Caffinehog
A good company for good memory is Corsair, their XMS series will send you to the sky. Buying generic ram is like sabotaging your own overclocking. Get brand name.
That will be my next purchase.

Old 16th September, 2002, 09:38 PM

ebuyer do some samsung RAM but only a small range. Like the only DDR one is 256@pc2100. Or did you mean on the other other side of the pond (US)?

Surely bumping the RAM a little over the FSB speed can improve things. I know if it goes too far out of step it decreases speed but if you were to max out your processor FSB and then up the RAM a little that would work wouldn't it?

edit: i didn't mention that that method above is purely what i guessed at, I have no idea whether it would be right or not.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by stigweed; 16th September, 2002 at 09:45 PM.
Old 16th September, 2002, 10:06 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hmm. I thought that the SiS 730S, 735 and 745 chipsets were the only one's that took a big performance hit when running the FSB and Mem Bus asynchronously.

So it's a widespread phenomenon with "all" chipsets for K7's?
Old 16th September, 2002, 11:59 PM

Running async just dosent work with any AMD chipsets at present be they SIS or VIA.
You need to run syncronous to get any real benefits with a AMD.

Nforce2 has some different memory arcitecture, hopefully they will succede where others have failed, we shall wait and see.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 17th September, 2002, 08:52 AM

Well, it's not a matter of extra memory speed... The problem is that with a 266 bus, the chipset at stock FSB can only handle a bandwidth of 2100mb/s. The applications where P4's beat AMD's only do this because of the quad-pumped bus, which can handle 3200mb/s or 4300mb/s stock depending on the FSB. You can help make up for this difference by unlocking. Asynchronous is always less efficent than synchronous, taking a little extra bandwith to translate it to a speed the cpu can understand. With a pentium 4, it helps, but with an AMD, that extra takes up bandwidth so the memory can't use it.

Last edited by Caffinehog; 17th September, 2002 at 08:54 AM.
Old 17th September, 2002, 09:01 AM

An explaination of the above:
32bit bus (or 4 byte bus,) 266mhz... or 266000cycles/s. Dual data rate (all x2.)
4bytes/cycle X 266000cycles/sec. X 2 = 2128000bytes/sec.

nforce2 is beating this simply by having two channels for the memory. Note that you will have to either install in pairs or at least have two banks per chip. Most likely the former.

Last edited by Caffinehog; 17th September, 2002 at 09:05 AM.