AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th September, 2002, 10:09 PM

Unhappy ?Confused Over XP1600+?

I am building my first AMD system. I am going with an ASUS A7V333 with RAID MB and 512MB of Kingston DDR333 ValueRAM. I have looked up overclocking on the net and have found that for my purposes the XP1600+ would be best (166 FSB @ 10.5 multiplier locked = 1.74GHz at stock voltage or XP2100+) From what I have seen this is possible but my question is which chip do I go for?
The AROIA 4, the AROIA Y, the AGOIA Y, the brown die or the green die?
I simply don't know which is best. What do you guys here think? Should I go for the AGOIA? And is it brown or green? What should I look for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 19th September, 2002, 10:17 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Green, AROIA Y. The others shouldn't have any problems reaching your goals either.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2002, 10:22 PM

Either are good OCers with good cooling.

Check my main rig in my sig

newegg has the good cpu's right now 99% guarantee.

BTW, WELCOME!!
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2002, 12:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

If you get an xp2000, it'll go faster than the 1600. Price is right, too. I just got an aroia xp2000 from newegg. The xp2000 is easier to unlock than the xp2100: standard fill in the pits, connect the dots. Not so on the 2100 from what I understand.

Faster cpu to begin with will put less stress on your peripherals, unless you take that to the max, too.. heheh.. I'm getting 1823MHz outta my xp2000 at a modest 145fsb, stable, not going to hurt anything, not overvolted (except one bump each on the vcore and vdimm).

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 20th September, 2002, 02:53 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbit

Faster cpu to begin with will put less stress on your peripherals, unless you take that to the max, too.. heheh.. I'm getting 1823MHz outta my xp2000 at a modest 145fsb, stable, not going to hurt anything, not overvolted (except one bump each on the vcore and vdimm).
The hardcore OCers go for high FSB at low multiplier. Better memory bandwidth means better performance. I believe all my CPUs are running at 1.85. My memory sticks are running somewhere between 2.6 and 3.2 depending on the rig they're in. The thing is, if you over volt a CPU by 10%, it'll shorten it's life by half, but the standard lifetime of a CPU is ten years! I wouldn't want my CPU lasting that long anyway. It'll be a keychain fob long before that. As for the memory running at 3.2, Crucial offers lifetime warranty no questions asked!

EDIT: Not that I'm hardcore. You want hardcore, talk to Dimm or Holst.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......

Last edited by mookydooky; 20th September, 2002 at 03:18 AM.
Old 20th September, 2002, 07:25 AM

No stress on peripherals at 166fsb with that board! It has the 1/5 pci divisor, so everything is the same as if it were at 133. Only the CPU can tell the difference.
Join the revolution! Eliminate floppy drives forever! Buy a $20 compact flash reader and a couple CF cards. These come in internal designs that you can put in a 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" bay, as well as external! Encourage motherboard manufacturers to include this with their boards. It's a cheap PCB, folks. It shouldn't add more than $5 to the cost.
Please feel free to copy this and put it in your own sig.
Old 21st September, 2002, 07:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

whats the difference between the brown and green?
Old 21st September, 2002, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drow_elf
whats the difference between the brown and green?
They're made at different plants. The core itself doesn't seem to be much different, but people seem to have a harder time unlocking green cpus.
Join the revolution! Eliminate floppy drives forever! Buy a $20 compact flash reader and a couple CF cards. These come in internal designs that you can put in a 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" bay, as well as external! Encourage motherboard manufacturers to include this with their boards. It's a cheap PCB, folks. It shouldn't add more than $5 to the cost.
Please feel free to copy this and put it in your own sig.