AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th October, 2001, 06:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Hello Mr Lucky!
Old 29th October, 2001, 10:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

I can put up with anything. I'll just buy a few more 120mm's to soft the pitch of the noise a bit
i dunno hey... i was also cool with the delta for a while, but it seriously started to bug me after a while!!! i can't take the whining in my case any more. gonna have to find something quieter SOON!

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2001, 12:07 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Quote:
BTW- how much air you guys think a 40cc two-stroke leafblower kicks out?

enough to blow leaves?
in other words if u use one and run it at lower volts it would be quieter
If you ran it at lower volts, wouldn't the spark-plug stop working?

Probably blows as much air as you could possibly want... for outdoor use only (a room full of exhaust smoke - after the way my computer's been acting, that's remarkably tempting...)
Old 29th October, 2001, 12:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
three words:

Active Noise Cancelation
ANC works great with lower frequency noise. It plain sucks at higher frequencies. My older bro worked on one for aircraft at one point, but they had real difficulties cancelling out the HF noise in all but trivial situations.

AidanII
Old 30th October, 2001, 11:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

ANC works great with lower frequency noise. It plain sucks at higher frequencies. My older bro worked on one for aircraft at one point, but they had real difficulties cancelling out the HF noise in all but trivial situations.

AidanII
Looks like somebody needs to come up with a higher RPM fan. Theoretically it should be possible to make a fan that spins so fast that the frequency is beyond what the human ear is capable of hearing. Increasing blade count should also help increase the pitch of the noise as well.

A 14 blade fan would only need to spin at 95,000 RPM(possible, as some turbo chargers spin up to 150,000 RPM) to operate at a pitch beyond that of human hearing. The next problem would be eliminating the white noise generated by airflow, this could be solved by modifying blade pitch to reduce airflow. This would pretty much be needed if you want a fan to spin at such RPMs anyway, and the less intense blade pitch would increase output pressure as well.

I should just attach a 10,000 RPM 1/4HP AC motor to a turbo charger impeller with a 1:10 step up belt drive. Should give me plenty of air Or I could just use the wet stuff to keep the CPU cool, like I always end up doing . . . Really can't beat water-cooling . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 30th October, 2001 at 12:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th October, 2001, 01:08 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
A 14 blade fan would only need to spin at 95,000 RPM(possible, as some turbo chargers spin up to 150,000 RPM) to operate at a pitch beyond that of human hearing. The next problem would be eliminating the white noise generated by airflow, this could be solved by modifying blade pitch to reduce airflow. This would pretty much be needed if you want a fan to spin at such RPMs anyway, and the less intense blade pitch would increase output pressure as well.
LOL. OK, you create one. Or you could have a really big fan that operated at lower frequencies than the ear could hear....

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 30th October, 2001, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

LOL. OK, you create one. Or you could have a really big fan that operated at lower frequencies than the ear could hear....
a fan that operates below 20hz? This is why I use water cooling..
Old 31st October, 2001, 12:36 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman

a fan that operates below 20hz? This is why I use water cooling..
Water cooling = $100-$150. Me = cheap. Therefore, by the transitive property, Me is inequal to watercooling

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 31st October, 2001, 01:10 AM

actually, if you tried hard enough, you could build a $40 water cooling setup. direct die cooling, junk yard radiator, and the most expensive part would be the pump.
Old 31st October, 2001, 02:27 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
actually, if you tried hard enough, you could build a $40 water cooling setup. direct die cooling, junk yard radiator, and the most expensive part would be the pump.
What you mean direct die? As in no block? Wouldn't that be bad? If I'm gonna do it I'm doing it right. So maybe I will save for a watercooling setup. Let's see. 1500+ XP + 8kha+ + 256MB DDR + Sparkle 350 = $330 w/shipping (or close to that)

Watercooling = $120 (that sound good?)

So total = $450. That's doable. I'll have to think about it.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 6th November, 2001, 04:32 PM

Quote:
have been thinking about H2O cooling. don't OC that much yet. I
like the idea of noise reduction enough that it seems to (me) be
quite the practical thing to do.
I read where they talk about the temputature of the water stabilizing. is this at ambient (room) temp? read somewhere
about pelts being below room temp causing condensation. is it the same with H2O? duh! I think I get it. ambient/room temp in most cases is a LOT lower than the cpu, so cooling happens with
no condensation. dam, you guys are good

sorry daniel. going to my room now. alt

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 6th November, 2001 at 04:37 PM.