AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2002, 03:05 PM

HELP ME! with the WORST O/C'ing 2200XP ... 13mHz OC!

That's right this piece o' stuff 2200 TBred will ONLY give me 1813mhz stable! A 13mhz O/C!

Here's the low down...

It's unlocked using a pencil via the last L3 bridge. It runs fine at different FSB's as long as it's UNDER or at the stock 1800mhz.

I don't think my other components are the issue as it runs fine at 10X180FSB. So I think the RAM/MB/Other Stuffs is fine up to that FSB speed.

I'm running:

-Epox 8K5a2 with the 2909 Bios (I tried the 2815's as well)
-2200XP Tbred (Rev. A) It was an AIR something chip. AXDA2200DKV3C
-Samsung Original 2700 512mb Stick
-Ti4400
-WinXP

Again, the thing usually won't boot into windows hanging very early at anything over 1825.

More voltage doesn't help... it even hurts... I get this crazy alarm/shutdown on the mobo (AND I have the temp. alarm in the bios disabled) if I give it more than 1.85v's usually.

It completed a night of Sandra Burn-in at 144x12.5 (1.8ghz)

It idles at ~100F and it was at 109F during the Burn-in (according to the on-die temp.)... so I don't think heat is a problem.

Any suggests would be appreciated. I always seem to get these bum chips!
Old 26th September, 2002, 03:09 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Hmm...what kind of PSU do you have? It's quite possible you're running short on power.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2002, 03:13 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I think mooky's idea fits.

Those little monsters are hot AND consume a lot of wattage.
Just curious: have you tried undervolting a tad? On older CPUs, I've heard isolated incidents where it actually helped the oc attempt.
Old 26th September, 2002, 03:19 PM

Actually, it does seem more stable if I stick with a lower voltage 1.65).

I was thinking about the PS as I just got this new Chieftec case with a window and it came with a 400w generic PS. The voltages look stable and high enough... but it could be. I might throw my old enlight 400 in and give that a try.
Old 26th September, 2002, 03:45 PM

Sounds like a bum chip - luck of the draw I'm afraid.
Gainward 6800LE 16x1,6vp @ 360/840
Windows 2000 Pro SP4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2002, 04:04 PM
Banned

NONE of the XP2200's are good oc'ers

None I've seen & a few friends own them. Best I've heard of was a measly 100 Mhz.
Old 26th September, 2002, 04:12 PM

No kidding?

I've seen a bunch of posters saying 2ghz should be within reach with air. HRMM.

I'm going to be really pissed if a 1600 Pally for $90 less would have run at the same damned speed (if not faster!)

I hope swapping my PS helps a bit.

Does this at all sound like a PS problem?
Old 26th September, 2002, 04:15 PM

Correction - mine goes to 2.1Ghz on air w/ an extra 0.1 volts. Haven't pushed it further as yet.
Gainward 6800LE 16x1,6vp @ 360/840
Windows 2000 Pro SP4
Old 26th September, 2002, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Reejoc
Correction - mine goes to 2.1Ghz on air w/ an extra 0.1 volts. Haven't pushed it further as yet.
MadOnion compare URL to verify?

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4579783

UPDATE:Just called a buddy with one & he added vcore & a new ps. Now he's at 2025 Mhz.

Last edited by ZigZagZeppelin; 26th September, 2002 at 04:56 PM.
Old 26th September, 2002, 05:09 PM

New PS aye?

Maybe some light for me then...

Why would 1.85v to the CPU cause the computer to stop booting (same multi and fsb that runs fine @ 1.75) right after the bios initialization and set the alarm off? It's not the temp. as that's =<110F.

/me hopes this is the mobo telling me the voltage is flucuating too much.

Anyone heard of any other Epox boards sounding an alarm at boot with voltage changes?
Old 26th September, 2002, 05:14 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by nherc
Actually, it does seem more stable if I stick with a lower voltage 1.65).

I was thinking about the PS as I just got this new Chieftec case with a window and it came with a 400w generic PS. The voltages look stable and high enough... but it could be. I might throw my old enlight 400 in and give that a try.
Two things off the top of my head.. If lower voltage appears to give the system more stability, the associated temp reduction or the reduced power consumption (or both) may be helping. Regardless of temp readings, open up the side of the case. Look for appreciable changes in temp readings like 2 or more c. If that also helps, you may be running hot, and getting poor readings. Since you have another PSU, try that too, separately, and then you should have enough information to rule out both.

Also, the potential oc from Tbred A's are pretty weak, by most standards. It's obvious when you look at AMD... They have no intentions of releasing faster Tbred As... and already have a new 'stepping' (for lack of a better term), for the next step up. That says a lot.
Old 26th September, 2002, 05:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Yes, bad luck of the draw. The 'A' model wasn't very good, hence, the revised 'B' model. That's why I decided on an XP2000 instead of a newer model.

Lucked out and got an AROIA from Newegg, and I'm putin' right along at 145fsb (it will run 150 stable, but I don't like stressing things, since the 'seat of the pants' actual speed isn't noticeable)

I'm using PC2100 CL2.5 Crucial/Micron, I think that may be holding me back, but it doesn't matter. It's a pretty perky system overall. According to *cough* Sisoft, I'm beating a stock XP2200.
Also, it's still 'locked' at 12.5, but I don't really care. Maybe a year from now when I get bored, I might unlock it, put some bigger ram in, and go for it.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 27th September, 2002, 02:40 AM

Well, I swapped powersupplies and there is NO Change...

Still running at a sad 13mhz o/c. Even a 25mhz o/c crashes me out of XP running Sandra Burn-in.

This TBred Rev. A was a waste of money...

BTW, anyone know why my mobo (Epox 8K5a2) craps out with an alarm right after boot-up if I use >= 1.85volts? The temp. of the cpu is fine <110F.
Old 27th September, 2002, 09:43 AM

What's the 5v line running at? Try using motherboard monitor to tell you.

Don't use 1.85v, its bad for 0.13 chips. Apart from which you shouldn't need it. Start with 1.75v

Try lowering the multiplier to 9x , then slacken memory timings and increase FSB until you reach your memory limit, this will eliminate memory bottleneck and pci/agp issues. Make a note of this number.

Next set the multiplier to 12x and increase FSB.....

By doing this you know what your FSB limit will be, if you can't achieve that then it points to somewhere/something else in the system.

I have a prometiea cooler, an xp2200 and I had to tweak the psu outputs on my sparkle psu to get better results. For the record here - don't expect this from air cooling.

Gandelf
Old 3rd October, 2002, 05:39 PM

In my humble experience with epox MOBO's and lower wattage PSU, ( mainly because I 'm poor) 300 to 400 watters. I've always had to do 5 volt mods. Sometimes I could barely get stock processors stable without it.

I use some pamona grabbers and attach to the mosfet directly, they work like a charm and no soldering needed. I then use a spade connector and connect it directly to the 5 volt line on that white connector on a PSU that I have yet to ever find a use for. Make sure though before attemting this mod you actually read your 5 volt line with a Multimeter to ensure that it truely is a problem and don't really on MBM untill you confirm that it reads correctly.
Any ways good luck and I'm sure that chip will hit 2 gig it might take water but its got too.
Old 9th October, 2002, 03:21 PM

I got mine to 2133Mhz by changing the multiplier to 16 @1.8v

I am water cooling it with Maze3-1 and 220 TEC. runs at 21-25C steady regardless of load.