AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2002, 04:10 PM
Banned

Is 300 watt ps enough for this?

My xp1600 (AGOIA y) is locked so I'm not pushing it much at all (170 fsb x 10.5) with 1.725 vcore, 100% stability. I underclocked vcore to keep things cooler for now.

My question is this: HOW HIGH CAN I reasonably expect to hit with only an Antec 300 watt ps? The one included with the Antec SX830.

I may unlock it if I don't have to buy another PS (currently out of work pending disability).

Old 26th September, 2002, 05:23 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The psu that went into the original 830sx was a rebadged Enho730ATX (?) .. the 300w model with 220w in the 3.3 +5v rails.

If you can see the label, you should be able to confirm this by looking for very small print near one of the lower corners.

I have the enh, and it is a very good overclocker's psu (just a tad loud). As long a you don't have a lot of 12v stuff, like drives and fans, you should be fine.

Edit: the performance of 1600+ agoias seem to vary significantly between users. I'm running one (see sig) with a CWT - 420W, and I can't get any higher... It tops out the same with other PSUs and mobos too. I guess I'm on the lower end of the performance chart... some have gotten up to and over 1900.. Again, luck of the draw, but I believe your little psu would probably not hold you back at all.

Last edited by SteveI; 26th September, 2002 at 05:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2002, 05:24 PM
Banned

Get mbm and see what your current voltages are. If they're at or above 4.90 on the 5V rail/reading, you should be alright... the general rule is lower than 4.80V and you risk or will run into stability issues. Expect about a .10v drop on your 5V line running the vcore at 1.85 and the cpu at 1.8+ghz
Old 26th September, 2002, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Get mbm and see what your current voltages are. If they're at or above 4.90 on the 5V rail/reading, you should be alright... the general rule is lower than 4.80V and you risk or will run into stability issues. Expect about a .10v drop on your 5V line running the vcore at 1.85 and the cpu at 1.8+ghz
I have SiSoftSandra Pro w/ Sp1, it reports:

+5V = 4.89V

-5V = 0.33V

+5V Standby= 4.90 V

Battery Voltage= 3.09
Old 26th September, 2002, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

I have the enh, and it is a very good overclocker's psu (just a tad loud). As long a you don't have a lot of 12v stuff, like drives and fans, you should be fine.

Edit: the performance of 1600+ agoias seem to vary significantly between users. I'm running one (see sig) with a CWT - 420W, and I can't get any higher... It tops out the same with other PSUs and mobos too. I guess I'm on the lower end of the performance chart... some have gotten up to and over 1900.. Again, luck of the draw, but I believe your little psu would probably not hold you back at all.
Not many 12v stuff, one hd but a few 80 mm fans. I could disconnect one of my 80 mm INTAKES if necessary.

Thanks for the heads up, Steve & Pinky.
Old 26th September, 2002, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ZigZagZeppelin

I have SiSoftSandra Pro w/ Sp1, it reports:

+5V = 4.89V

-5V = 0.33V

+5V Standby= 4.90 V

Battery Voltage= 3.09
Sisoft likes to lie from time to time, and for future monitoring purposes, you'll want something better than sisoft... try the mbm, you won't regret it .

Your numbers (based on sisoft's readings) are marginal. Only time will tell. Hopefully the chip doesn't need a lot of voltage to go higher.
Old 26th September, 2002, 06:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Fans use the 12v line, but really don't draw too much power.. usually 2-4 watts each.

As Pinky mentioned, try mbm.. You could have it constantly monitor all of your PCs vitals continuously from a small window. Temps, voltages, speed, CPU usage.. trust me, no overclocker should be without... All of my machines have it showing in the top left corner... always.
Old 26th September, 2002, 08:15 PM
Banned

MBM5 reports same exact findings as my Professional version of SSS 2001 /SP1.

Its very accurate for me & temps reported by my Epox board are same as Sandra's too.
Old 26th September, 2002, 08:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

As pinky said from time to time. Sometimes Sandra checks out for me, sometimes it doesn't. Always good to have a confirmation. I have no experience of the PRO version however.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2002, 11:35 PM
Banned

My neighbor gets me anything I request, I call'em Sinbad.

I don't even have a cd-burner, I tweak his rig & he hooks me up.
Old 27th September, 2002, 05:51 PM
Banned

Decided NOT to unlock my xp1600, Pinky.

My rails won't support adding much voltage & I have a 1 yr warranty on this OEM. When my year is up I'm gonna go Intel.

Until then I can play anything out there, without lag.
Old 27th September, 2002, 10:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

seeing as how you've already overclocked it, your warranty is technically void. Why would you go Intel next year?
Old 28th September, 2002, 01:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
seeing as how you've already overclocked it, your warranty is technically void. Why would you go Intel next year?
LOL, I've rma'd overclocked cpu's b4. They cannot tell unless u burn it.

Now if I unlock an XP they can tell. I bought a $5 one yr warranty for the xp, its not the money. Its the fact I can play any game that releases (Doom 3) included without any problems.

And INTEL for superior heat spreaders on the die, quieter machine. Less fans & water to me is a bit risky & expensive.

Not unless some manufacturer needs a Prometia or Vapochill review posted on the net. If thats the case I'm SO THERE!