AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2002, 09:41 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Originally posted by deanril in EPoX topic

Daniel, I still find argument with your statements.

#1 no one blames Epox tech or for Epox boards, did epox tech personally make the board?? no...

#2 "Did you really expect us to be GRATEFUL that your out performing every board out there????"

This is mainly false and rarely true. In the extreemist arena its definately false, in all areas except voltage, in the average the 133-166 fsb arena epox does well but not the best. Its all a Numbers game. And Epox plays it all to well.

#3 99.9 % of the time the companies with the boards first out of the gate(within the first couple weeks of a chipset) are not that great, and thats for a reason. Ever pay attention when Abit release's a board, try typically a month-6 weeks later, ever think about why? Because they are the best of the best and dont release till they have it perfect and very high performing and overclockable. Abit does things like put 4 Ram slots(very hard to do on some boards), and gives you every overclocking feature under the sun, this kind of devotion and knowhow is why abit is #1.

Epox has a Forum here, and I think a few other boards, however lots of mb companies have their own at their sites. If you were to start another forum like msi or abit, you might find it not needing as much attention(Defense) as this forum does, and Im not making this up, theres a reason why this forum needs alot of defense and its definately NOT because EPOX is the best........

Another thing, the KT400 is SLOWER then the KT333, so if you dont see people patting Epox tech on the back its VIA's fault not epox's, the KT400 is more of joke then anything, it doesnt even support DDR 400 as its name reflects. To make matters worse on VIA's end they are now discontinuing the KT333 and now will have 2 chipsets the KT266A and KT400, yes thats not a typo, they are dumping the KT333 and keeping the KT266A. Why , because the KT333 is actually faster then the KT400 in most cases.

You peeps want a real board wait for the Nforce2.
Unlimited dividers, you may adjust FSB,MEM, AGP/PCI INDEPENDANTLY yes independant meaning run the fsb at 200 mem at 166 and agp/pci at 66/33 or 220fsb 200 mem ect ect..

This ofcoarse must be implemented by the mb manufacturerer.

Ok heres a pat on the back, Good job Epox for being one of the first out the gate!!! er... I think..
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2002, 04:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Evc

Re: Originally posted by deanril in EPoX topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Another thing, the KT400 is SLOWER then the KT333, so if you dont see people patting Epox tech on the back its VIA's fault not epox's, the KT400 is more of joke then anything, it doesnt even support DDR 400 as its name reflects. To make matters worse on VIA's end they are now discontinuing the KT333 and now will have 2 chipsets the KT266A and KT400, yes thats not a typo, they are dumping the KT333 and keeping the KT266A. Why , because the KT333 is actually faster then the KT400 in most cases.
Are you serious?

Been looking at KT400 board reviews when I do find them, and I do notice how the KT333 is a lil faster then them.

Dumping the KT333 just because its faster then their newest chipset is kinda silly.
CPU:Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.1GHz / MoBo:Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 / RAM:2GB PC2-5300 / Graphics:BFG GeForce 780GT OC SLI / / Storage 1&2:Twin 250GB WD SATA2 16MB Cache / Storage 3:WD 160GB 7200RPM / Storage 4: WD 320GB SATA2 16MB Cache + 400GB and 250GB IDE in USB / DVD-Writer:Samsung SATA Lightscribe Multi-drive
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2002, 06:47 PM
Banned

This guy is Deanril!!

The reason your ram does better on the epox is that epox has limited the board, whereas abit has not.

Where you will find the difference is in benches, and that equates to actual performance aswell.

You bench your at max agressive timings on the epox at 166 fsb and do the same on the abit you will see a 15-20% difference in favor of the abit.

Oh sure with the epox you can pump 200 fsb with certain bios's however at 200 fsb the abit will smoke it at 166-170 in performance.

Once you have pushed the epox to the max and have gotten to know the board real well you will find that with all the high numbers other boards are out performing yours at lower fsb.

The key to fsb is the 64bit buds to the athlon, with higher bus/memory then you will be able to use higher bandwidth, except if a bios is released for the general user, so as not to fry the harddrive ect.

At first I would have made your comments aswell, however not now. You try and get every drop out of the board, and there could be more, the clock generator ect supports a 1/6 divider aswell, but you wont ever get it. For the medium overclocker its a great board, for max its not the best, abit Kt266a actually beats the epox kt333 solution.

Hope that helps.
Old 28th September, 2002, 10:49 PM

Im very please that you are happy with your Abit boards.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 28th September, 2002, 11:23 PM
Banned

Yeah I thought I would go for epox board for my KT333 solution, instead of a abit board, fisrt time I tried epox aswell.

Again the board is great theres alot very positive I can say about the board, its definately not junk, in fact it lives in 32f in my fridge right now, after a mod to the cmos battery, it runs awesome in its crispy cool envirement. I know the board pretty good and its definately has a ton of plus's. Be very few minus's.

I like abit better because they preform better, nothing personal its just fact. But if I wasnt extreme in my overclocking, and was med ocer I would definately buy this board, its rock stable, and easy to work with and has some great features. I love the temps in my bios screen on boot up. I have like 2 cups of water in my RV coolant mixture and if I dont turn my computer on once a day it will freeze up, so I at boot up can tell with in a couple seconds if it froze or not via the nice temp showing on boot up, very convienient. Thers alot this board does great and probably better then others it just not the all out 200 fsb max performance machine.

Its 200 fsb with performance of 175 or 180-190 with good performance just not the very best.

No offense intended these are just my and many others oppinions of the board.
Old 29th September, 2002, 12:39 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

From one member to another, I would say that everyone here takes your OCing abilities very seriously. Your opinions are also very welcome as they are often very knowledgable and truth be told, we can all learn a little more.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 29th September, 2002, 12:52 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Opinions differ, in a forum perhaps they should...yes?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 29th September, 2002, 01:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I've been very pleased with EPoX boards, and have had many bad expiriences with Abit boards(particualrly there CPU power-supplies going tits up). It is surprising to hear someone with an oppinion so much more in favor of Abit, but its your oppinion and you are entitled to it.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 29th September, 2002, 01:49 AM
Banned

Forums............ You all know this all too well however.....

With a forum you will get peeps who want help, you will also get peeps who like to discuss and DEBATE.

You can not have one without the other, because one hand scratches the other. So you get some heated debate, and some opinions, this is not bad, because those peeps posess knowledge, valuble knowledge in which the peeps with questions need.

Forums are tricky though, if there is too much modding the knowledgeable leave, also not enough to chit chat about. Some will say good riddens, I say if you are devoted to the forum think of new ideas ect to keep them atractive ect..

I frequent www.hardwarecentral.com thats my home forum, my first forum, I have been banned a couple times ect, currently my name Dean(because Deanril is banned) I have like 1600 post but through out my other names some 10,000. I learned everything I know from that forum, well a good base at least.

I enjoy forums, some times I come across, well like a sheeeethead, oh well, its hard for me to change. But Ill tell you one thing, Out of my 11600 post over at HWC atleast half, if not more are me helping someone.

If I start to hang here I would help more, I think I tried to help a few here all ready in one of my late nighters, lately Ive been busy playing battlefield 1942, I love that game.

Ill throw something out here though, I suggested MANY MANY things to admin at HWC(if you can imagine ) and one that still sounds great is a Chat Room of sorts. Woe now, not just a chat room BUT, a chat room where VP's and Reps from major companies can come in and do Q&A.

There would be control over who can ask questions as to not overwelm the poor guy, but all could sit and view and ask away to the rep. This would be good for the Forum and Great for the reps from the companies. You could advertise it a bit, you could be the originator of this concept.

Anyway thanx mookydooky always a pleasure talking with you, you are kind.
Old 29th September, 2002, 02:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks Deanril

We've looked at chat rooms as a possibility.
The reasons we didn't go there were, in no particular order:
1. Liability,without sufficient control to mitigate it.
2. It detracts from the forum itself.
3. No history is saved, one can't search a topic and find posts.
4. The time it would take someone to moderate it, not me my hands are full here.

We do try to remain open to new ideas, this one just didn't pan out for us when we looked into it.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 29th September, 2002, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Oh sure with the epox you can pump 200 fsb with certain bios's however at 200 fsb the abit will smoke it at 166-170 in performance.

Once you have pushed the epox to the max and have gotten to know the board real well you will find that with all the high numbers other boards are out performing yours at lower fsb.

Deanril, damn man. You definitely know what's going on.
My man... you good.
Similar to that quote, that's what I've been trying to tell people who think the "higher FSB", higher PCI divider, "KT400(the big number)" etc etc is better, which is NOT. I always endup wiping their butt with my much lower FSB clocked system. Some people just don't believe me. Some do..

hehe.. I knew the KT400 platforms are not going to be the best in performance. That's why I didn't even think about buying the KT400 system. I'm sure you already know this..the KT266A whip KT400's butt? yes.. Good words.. Denril.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 29th September, 2002, 03:11 AM
Banned

No I wasnt aware of that, hmm but if the kt266a (abit) whips the 8k3A(kt333) then it would whip the new Kt400 from epox most likely.

Yeah daniel Im glad your atleat open I give you some from time to time, your site is different as its not a Hardware site with a supporting forum.

One thing I left out about the NForce2 is it offers 5.3 gb of bandwidth. So all you would need to do is up the Front side bus, and you wouldnt even need to overclcok your ram one bit, this is nice considering my ram taps out around 190 on a stron bios board.

Something like 2.2 gb of bandwisth is useable at 133 fsb, so if you uped the fsb to like 200 then 3.2 of the 5.3 will now be used, and so on. If you could crank the fsb to like 233 your looking at like 3.7 gb of useable bandwidth all the while clocking your memory at 133(266 ddr). Very nice. Expensive memory not needed.

In addition EPOX will be making a nforce 2 board and its allready on their site, but a so will abit...... should be here in a couple weeks , that will be my next toy. And hopefully a tbred 1700-1800 B version, hows about a 1.53 to 2.6 ghz overclock, for $60 ??
Old 29th September, 2002, 03:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Spend time when you can in our EPoX Topic (Oh the irony!":O}

ET has written some very aggressive BIOSs for the the 8K5a 2+ that allow one to run at 166 with interesting results.Has done for several other boards as well at member request.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 29th September, 2002, 05:42 AM
Banned

Well the bios's are ok now, they released a good one with cpu decode, and all the previous fixes, right around the time of our last encounter.

The lower performing now is just the board itself, nothing will help that. Well a little using a few tweaks but nothing too significant.
Old 29th September, 2002, 02:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BMM

I've also had some bad experiences with ABIT - actually 4 of my ABIT mb have been RMA'd (DOA) but I've not encountered the same problems with EPoX, so I'm definately going to stick with EPoX for quite a while... My EP-8K3A+ has lower AGP Performance at stock 133 MHz FSB than the Soltek KT266A mb that I used in a PC to one of my friends, but EPoX gives me the freedom to OC some more and thereby increase performance over other MB. When I purchase a MB I don't just look at performance but also overclocking/tweaking options, features and fault rate. In DK there is a very high rate of faulty ABIT MB (near 20%) and I know that several shops have stopped selling them because there's too many RMA's on them. I do not know whether this is a general issue with the boards or only with a couple of shipments to DK, but it has definately scared me from purchasing another ABIT MB.