AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st October, 2002, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Thundr7 Send a message via Yahoo to Thundr7

My KX7 is dead

Dang primary IDE controller went POOF! I'm just gonna sum it up. It was runnin great, then i heard a clink-pop sound and the rig went dead. It was'nt a temp issue cuz my vcore was 2.10v and my temps were 39c idle, 47c full load.

Word of advise: The KX7-333 is a decent board but the primary IDE controller cannot handle high oc. Be warned if you decide on this board !

And to answer all your questions, yes. I swapped HD's, ribbons, cleared cmos and still no primary IDE controller in bios.

I ordered the Epox 8K3A+ w/6ch audio which i recieved today from newegg. My g/f bought me a new dragon blue chieftec case with the window and side fan which i thought i'd get today but did'nt. Maybe tomorrow.

I thought my 2-40g maxtors took dive also, but i installed them in my secondary rig and they look ok. I was able to partition and format them. Drive integrity scan went ok so that's a good sign.

Again, be warned with the Abit KX7-333 !
If a woman laughs at you after sex, what does it mean? It means you forgot protection and now she has a slave.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2002, 06:19 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The primary IDE controller is part of the southbridge, rather than a seperate chip! The KX7-333 uses the VT8233 as it's southbridge, in EXACTLY the same way that the 8K3A uses the VT8233 as it's southbridge. In fact, just about EVERYONE who makes a KT333 based chipset uses the VT8233 as the southbridge.

This means that virtually all the KT333 based boards have identical primary IDE controllers.

AidanII
Old 2nd October, 2002, 01:17 AM

Then that means my particular board must've had a weak chip right?
If a woman laughs at you after sex, what does it mean? It means you forgot protection and now she has a slave.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2002, 02:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Or...... to high of a voltage their.........
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd October, 2002, 03:19 AM
Banned

Like I said today when we talked and spyder just eluded to, the Abit boards do not handle out of spec operation as well as, say, and epox, which has the components designed/capable of handling extra voltages... it's likely the higher voltage caused your mobo's early demise, not a cheap ide/southbridge.
Old 2nd October, 2002, 05:55 AM

Quote:
the Abit boards do not handle out of spec operation as well as, say, and epox, which has the components designed/capable of handling extra voltages... it's likely the higher voltage caused your mobo's early demise, not a cheap ide/southbridge.

I agree there. good point.. The Epox.. like 8K3A seem to handle very well with its high voltages. Healthy board..

Abit may need a little more care/attention when overvolting..
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 2nd October, 2002, 12:55 PM

Thank you gentlemen. point noted . We shall see how well the Epox i have will perform
Old 2nd October, 2002, 02:44 PM

Safest bet, when running hi overclocks etc, ALWAYS hook your drives up to the RAID controller if u have one. We tend to find that the RAID controller is more tolerant of HiFSBs than the standard IDE conns.
Old 2nd October, 2002, 08:25 PM

Plus the onboard highpoint will often outperform the IDE from VIA by a slight ammount, so its win-win

I doubt that faliure was anything to do with abit's design persay, but when overl****ing things will fail eventually.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 9th October, 2002, 06:40 AM

Hmmmm, another helpful point noted, Thank you gentlemen. Once i get my other 60 gig HD, i will hook up raid
Old 9th October, 2002, 07:32 AM

Raid hookup is good.. but the IDE for the HDD on the 8k3A got me up 215mhz FSB. No issues. My HDD, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus60 20GB UATA100/2mb. The HDD performance on the regular IDE is superb too.. on the 8K3A. I have some screenshots if ya wan sum..
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.