AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd October, 2002, 06:15 PM

Biding my time... [original XP Prices to come down?]

The new 333MHz Athlon XPs are being released this month yes? Does this mean that the prices of older processors will be going down?

I ask because as my signature says my main rig is DEAD and needs a complete overhaul. I am currently using the PII 366 laptop and a K6-2 450MHz machine. I miss the speed and need to get folding properly - 3 WUs in 3 weeks currently - but if I buy now will I be kicking myself in 3 weeks? (as in more than anyone normally does - prices are always going down but will this be a bigger slump?)

Also I'm probably going for an 8K3A/+. I heard that via is ditching the KT333 chipset to promote the (inferior, so I'm told) KT400. Is it likely that the kt333 boards will vanish and be replaced by expensive inferior boards by the time the CPUs come down?

I think I also read there's some new Via Eden style mini-itx boards coming out this month - maybe the 800 will come down in price?

I'm in the UK so is there a release delaycompared to the states - would I ahve to wait months for my price slump?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2002, 06:42 PM
Banned

Well, yes, all PC component prices drop (with the exception of RAM, which always fluctuates) over time. In 3 weeks everything will be cheaper to varying degrees...

Varying degrees is what you are asking. I don't think the A XP or Tbred 2200+ will fall enough to wait IMO... retail stuff is probably coming later than sooner and at very high prices, so the demand is not going to drop on the XP and Tbred 2200+ enough to warrant a huge price fall. In November this will change as the prices start to fall on the 2400 and 2600+ and AMD will start their official move to sellout their XP overstock and remaining stock. 5 weeks things will be significantly cheaper, and with xmas right around the corner, things are looking good for prices in January as most XPs should sold by then and the prices for the tbreds low enough for us common folk .
Old 2nd October, 2002, 07:07 PM

Yeah, I think I'll leave it a week or two anyway. I was thinking the prices of things like XP1600+ would come down and RAM at crucial went up a few quid this week. I have soooo much work to do at college that I would never get it done if I had such a beast at home.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2002, 08:52 PM
Banned

it will be a while until the XP1600 comes any lower than $53 shipped at newegg
Old 2nd October, 2002, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
it will be a while until the XP1600 comes any lower than $53 shipped at newegg
Your right.

I dont think prices will drop very much more.

XP-1600 will just all sell out then XP-1700 price will go very low and so on...

Im not sure if AMD intend to keep producing Xp-1600 chips or not, I wouldt expect them to be getting many cores that wont run at the higher speeds with the newer steppings.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.