AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd October, 2002, 08:43 PM

Question XP1600+ stepping advice

I've just been to get my CPU from a friend, a local supplier and have been given a choice...

I can get either a AGOIA Y or a AGOGA 9.

Which one is the better overclocker?

Cheers,
Enigma.
Old 3rd October, 2002, 09:01 PM
Banned

Check out this thread

And they're actually called "revision codes". Stepping is part of the chip production process... it's a common mistake (I didn't know the difference for the longest time).

The AGOIA is by far the better of the two.
Old 3rd October, 2002, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the info Pinky.

I've just got one of these...

AX1600MT3C
AGOIA 0208RPNW
Y7550880085

What do ya think?
Old 3rd October, 2002, 09:35 PM
Banned

The "Y"s tend to do very nicely, beyond that it's all speculation.

People typically get between 1.65 and 1.9ghz with varying amount of voltages (up to 1.85v). For the most extreme overclocks, you need 1.90v+ and water cooling.
Old 3rd October, 2002, 10:10 PM

The water cooling isnt going to be a problem. I'm currently getting the stuff together (Maze 3, Eheim 1250 etc) I'm just a bit worried about doing any form of voltage mod..

Maybe I'll give it a go some day
Old 3rd October, 2002, 10:44 PM

once you have watercooling you should be running a higher voltatage to take full advantage of it.

What motherboard do you have ?
We should be able to guide you through the VModd if needed.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2002, 10:50 PM

I'm looking to by a motherboard in a weeks time. I'm going on holiday next week so thought I'd wait till I get back, maybe the prices will have dropped a little!

I got the CPU today as my supplier only had 3 left and didnt know if he would be getting any more 1600's

As for a make of motherboard. He does the Abit KX7, Asus K7V333 and the Abit MAX board. All the others are PC Chips and ECS onboard boards.

I would like to go with one of the brands he stocks. I used to be his boss and he takes anything back I return. Easy RMA's are great even if it means you don't get a hugh choice.
Old 4th October, 2002, 06:04 AM
Banned

The Asus might work, but Abit boards seem to die under stress (at least from what I've seen).
Old 4th October, 2002, 03:24 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma
As for a make of motherboard. He does the Abit KX7, Asus K7V333 and the Abit MAX board. All the others are PC Chips and ECS onboard boards.
The PC Chips and ECS are stable but only good running stock. If you can get the A7V333, I read you can get some good voltage check spode's abode www.spodesabode.com for a recent article. All the Abit boards top out at 1.85v and need a hack. I've heard rumors that newer boards, like the AT7max2 can do more. Most Epox boards can go over 2v without hacks. Happy hunting.
Old 4th October, 2002, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
once you have watercooling you should be running a higher voltatage to take full advantage of it.

What motherboard do you have ?
We should be able to guide you through the VModd if needed.
Yes, Holst id good with helping with that.
Old 4th October, 2002, 07:19 PM

here is the early results with my AGOIA 0213SPTW
Attached Thumbnails
XP1600+ stepping advice-d.jpg  

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

My Heatware 100% Positive
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!