AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2002, 05:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Uncle Bob was good enough to come to my house and bring a unlocking kit with him! We got some much improved results, I'm running at 1666 (138 X12). The rear window defogger I usually use is just to thick and dries to fast be be really suitable to connect across the bumpy path I created with Super glue across the pits.

Not a great chip, some multipliers are not what they should be (10 shows as 8, 13 switches back and forth between 12 and 12.5).

But a very nice lift from 1400, Many thanks Uncle Bob!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2002, 07:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

You'll know it's to high when the computer becomes unstable. You can run one of the CPU stress or stabillity test from the files section on this website. Once your system becomes unstable back off the FSB 2MHz. Unstability can be caused by anything from memory, to AGP to HDD to a PCI out of spec. Your PCI bus and AGP bus run at a fraction of your FSB. 1/2 for AGP and 1/4 for PCI, so when you overclock the FSB you overclock everything. PCI normally runs at 33MHz (133/4). Running at 148 your PCI is at 37MHz (148/4). Most PCI devices can handle that but not much more. Anyone device can cause unstability. For instance on my Duron system I can run a FSB of 112MHz but as soon as I use the NIC it freezes. I have to back it down to 106MHz to get it to work. If my NIC wasn't intergrated into the mobo I would just replace it.

Also your ram may be holding you back. What brand is it?

I hope I didn't confuse you with my unorganized rambelings.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2002, 10:23 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

After seeing how small the L1-L7 bridges are, I decided that FSB manipulation would have to do, too. More than Clock Speed, Front Side Bus Speed is the king of performance.

A safe rule, for me anyway is that extra cooling comes first. Overclocking comes second. The other way round is less than sound philosophy, IMO.

If the box boots into Windows the FSB is somewhat safe. If it can then run torture programs such as Prime95 plus a modern game's benchmark(looped) simultaneously for twenty four hours straight without a hiccup, that FSB is useable.

Heat is the enemy of all electronics. A general figure is that 10% of the life span of a component is sacrificed by overclocking. I think 10% is too conservative, but it's up to the individual to decide how long she or he wants a component to last.
Old 20th October, 2002, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Uncle Bob was good enough to come to my house and bring a unlocking kit with him! We got some much improved results, I'm running at 1666 (138 X12). The rear window defogger I usually use is just to thick and dries to fast be be really suitable to connect across the bumpy path I created with Super glue across the pits.

Not a great chip, some multipliers are not what they should be (10 shows as 8, 13 switches back and forth between 12 and 12.5).

But a very nice lift from 1400, Many thanks Uncle Bob!!
U B more than welcome, my friend! Look at this thread from that evening and you will see I learned quite a bit as well!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 20th October, 2002, 11:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

dan~ what board is that 1600 in?
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd October, 2002, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Staz
You'll know it's to high when the computer becomes unstable. You can run one of the CPU stress or stabillity test from the files section on this website. Once your system becomes unstable back off the FSB 2MHz. Unstability can be caused by anything from memory, to AGP to HDD to a PCI out of spec. Your PCI bus and AGP bus run at a fraction of your FSB. 1/2 for AGP and 1/4 for PCI, so when you overclock the FSB you overclock everything. PCI normally runs at 33MHz (133/4). Running at 148 your PCI is at 37MHz (148/4). Most PCI devices can handle that but not much more. Anyone device can cause unstability. For instance on my Duron system I can run a FSB of 112MHz but as soon as I use the NIC it freezes. I have to back it down to 106MHz to get it to work. If my NIC wasn't intergrated into the mobo I would just replace it.

Also your ram may be holding you back. What brand is it?

I hope I didn't confuse you with my unorganized rambelings.
thank you very much Staz for this very simple and helpful explanation. i've made some test and everything runs fine, but i dont think i'll get it up higher, cause i'm very satisfied by the way its running ATM.
1 question remained unanswered, i wonder how getting my voltage up would affect my system... what is the purpose of doing it? thanks again for your help people. it is greatly appreciated.