AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/4-amd-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   Why cant i use a higher vcore than 1.9?! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-motherboards-and-cpus/13331-why-cant-i-use-higher-cpu.html)

DisposableHero 12th January, 2003 08:50 PM

Why cant i use a higher vcore than 1.9?! Mobo just turns off!

no matter what speed im set at... if i set my vcore higher than about 1.9 if i use my cpu at full % my computer will turn off and the siren will sound! whats goin on here?

thanks

toXicbluE 12th January, 2003 09:11 PM

i don't even have the 8rda+ yet, but it sounds to me as if the thermal protection has shut down your pc - as the shutdown function uses the XP-internal diode, your CPU-temp was too high i guess...

DisposableHero 12th January, 2003 09:48 PM

i use a 226w pelt.. i doubt my temp is the problem

Photon 13th January, 2003 06:05 AM

DH,

Same problem here. I have an 8RDA+ v1.0 that shuts down with Vcore over 1.9v. I ordered another board thinking I just had a bad one, but this new v1.1 does the same exact thing.

Let's try to figure out what we have in common...

I'm running an early 2400+ that I unlocked with the L3 trick to run on my old KR7A. I left the CPU unlocked in the 8RDA+ so not sure if that could be a cause, but I doubt it.

Running a Sparkle 400W PS, also tried a TTGI-520SS but no difference. RAM is single 512 Corsair 3500C2.

The only "unusual" thing about my rig is it's in a desktop case (Enlight 7200).

I thought this was a MOSFET overheating problem at first, but now I'm not so sure. I think it may be a protective circuit on the mobo that is being "over protective".

So what's going on with your rig, anything similar?

DisposableHero 13th January, 2003 07:06 AM

well.... temps are not really a problem here... got a orb fan screwed on to my northbridge...

running in an antec 1040x case with 400w antec with +5 and +12 pots turned up a little... ram is a single stick of 256 corsair 3500c2 .. havent tried extra cooling on mosfets yet...

had an 80mm fan blowing at the bottom of my case right on the southbridge... no heatsink on it though... anything above 1.9 seems to set the siren off...

Merenfreak 13th January, 2003 04:38 PM

I had the same problem. Using a Prometeia as cooling solution and 512 MB xms3500 RAM. I tested two diffrent CPU`s , no difference. The board was shutting down over 1,9V.
Now my Board is dead anyhow... waiting for a new one, will see, if it is getting better.

muzz 13th January, 2003 04:51 PM

I don't know whats going on here fellas, as I have used over 2v when running chilled water benching, running prommies and stuff should have np running 2v.

muzz 13th January, 2003 04:55 PM

I believe when OPP was benching his 8RDA+ he had trouble running over 2.075v ( I THINK )......... he stated something about it over at xtreme......... and he runs a prommy.

Photon 13th January, 2003 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DisposableHero
well.... temps are not really a problem here... got a orb fan screwed on to my northbridge...

running in an antec 1040x case with 400w antec with +5 and +12 pots turned up a little... ram is a single stick of 256 corsair 3500c2 .. havent tried extra cooling on mosfets yet...

had an 80mm fan blowing at the bottom of my case right on the southbridge... no heatsink on it though... anything above 1.9 seems to set the siren off...

It doesn't seem to be a temp problem here either. I can set Vcore for 1.975 and everything is fine until I stress the CPU with something like Prime. There's not even any time for anything to heat up, it shuts down instantly when loading Prime.

We have Corsair RAM in common, but I don't see how that could cause a Vcore problem.

ET or Holst, any suggestions?

Is there some kind of protection circuit causing this and is there any way to disable it (including cutting chip pins)?

DisposableHero 13th January, 2003 07:58 PM

yup same here... i can set it to i think up to 1.95 vcore and it'l make it into windows... but liek you said.. anything that stresses cpu... will make comp turn off

Photon 13th January, 2003 09:20 PM

ET or Holst,

Is this being caused by the IRU3055's OVP tripping?

Warranty issues aside....

Can I lift pin 15 & 19 on the 3055 to disable OVP?

Are there any other protective circuits that could cause this?

DisposableHero 13th January, 2003 09:30 PM

dude my southbridge is a little warmer than normal... and im only at 1666 12.5x133 1.85v im thinking of putting i sink on that sucker see if anything happens.. i put a sink and a fan blowing on my mosfets didnt do a thing though

edit: what is your "case/mobo" temp? i think thats taken at the southbridge somewhere

Merenfreak 14th January, 2003 07:53 AM

Wow, i have exactly the same problems. Shutting down after a second if i run Prime, or super Pi in Windows at over 1,95 V.
I was working over two weeks on this problem, but nothing helped.
I cooled nearly all chips on this damn MoBo, without any positive results. Maybe it can`t handle subzero temps or very low temps and is cutting the power off...

DisposableHero 14th January, 2003 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Merenfreak
Wow, i have exactly the same problems. Shutting down after a second if i run Prime, or super Pi in Windows at over 1,95 V.
I was working over two weeks on this problem, but nothing helped.
I cooled nearly all chips on this damn MoBo, without any positive results. Maybe it can`t handle subzero temps or very low temps and is cutting the power off...

is this an 8rda or 8rda+?

rexer 14th January, 2003 08:34 AM

Running my 1800+ Tbred @ 2.13ghz using 2.0vcore prefectly fine. I've had it up to 2.1vcore also with no problems.

Strange problem you guys are having.

DisposableHero 14th January, 2003 08:41 AM

the strangest thing is that no epox rep. has any say on the matter

Daniel ~ 14th January, 2003 09:55 AM

No, what's strange is that you seem to feel they are obligated to do so. They are not. They volunteer their time here at AOA, do what they can to help those they have time to.

Equally strange is that our long time members haven't seen this problem. It might be helpful if you at lest stated which mother board your using along with the usual details concerning your system.

Holst 14th January, 2003 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DisposableHero
the strangest thing is that no epox rep. has any say on the matter
I allready have on other threads.

My board runs fine at 2.05v any more than that and my CPU overheats once ambient temperature rises.

I do have allot of airflow over the mosfets and vreg.

You can disable the Vreg's OVP by lifting a pin and adding some resistance although Im not sure thats the problem you are experiencing.

http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...ta/iru3055.pdf

Pin 16 looks like what you want to mess with

Bravo 14th January, 2003 02:37 PM

No problems running a 2400 AIUGB here (2470 @ 2.00v). had it up to 2.17 by accident (was looking at the chipset voltage), no problems booting/shutting down/loading the BIOS/changing/rebooting :)

MiGGinZ 14th January, 2003 03:20 PM

I have the problem but I think its memory related, Have you guys disabled the automatically shutdown thingie in startup and recovery to see if its a Blue screen error?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lee.nagle/xpshutdown.JPG