AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/4-amd-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   Argg Fried my 1700+ CPU (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-motherboards-and-cpus/17313-argg-fried-my-1700-central-processing.html)

chiyau 2nd May, 2003 08:55 PM

Argg Fried my 1700+ CPU

Just received my 1700+ DLTC3 JIUHB 308SPMW today to replace my unclockable 2000+ Palomino.

When i started it up i sudden smelt a buring smell coming form my pc, so i quickly switched it off and opended the case to find the smell coming for the 1700+ :eek:

Although i did not reset the cmos to default, the voltage for the 2000+ was at 1.75v, and the 1700+ Tbred can handle that voltage right??

when i try to start the pc with the 1700+ my Epox 8k3a+ does not boot and there is no post, but my fans and hard disk are running :/

When pit in my 2000+ the pc boots up fine, so i guess the cpu is dead, and i need to RMA it.

now i'm worried when i receive my replacement 1700+ the same thing is gonna happen :/

you guys think its because i did not reset the cmos to default or is it something else??

SteveI 2nd May, 2003 09:50 PM

Right off the bat... when you upgrade a CPU, you should turn everything down to "defaults". If you smell burning, it sounds like the CPU is dead. 1.75v will not kill a cpu, but if the HSF was not properly installed, it could die in about 0.5 second.

Clearing the CMOS is a safe way, but make sure the HSF is installed properly too.... BTW, a burned out CPU is not covered under warrantee, so be thankful if the vendor accepts it. Good luck.

chiyau 2nd May, 2003 10:13 PM

i think it was seated on properly, when i took the heatsink off the cpu, some of the artic silver went white, and also i think my heatsink has be scorched as well.

the die on the cpu looked ok but it did smell quite burnt.

i was looking at a video at the Tom's Hardware website where they showed a the heatsink been taken off whilst quake 3 was running and the cpu fried staright away and had a tempreture of 280 degress celsius.

guess i need to be extra extra careful when installing my replacement cpu.

SiGmA_X 3rd May, 2003 07:57 AM

One of my (noob) friends fried a TBird 1200 because he was testing the lights and fans in his case.. So he hit the power switch (w/o a HSF on) and the smell came fast..

Shashkastorm 3rd May, 2003 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chiyau
i think it was seated on properly, when i took the heatsink off the cpu, some of the artic silver went white
careful what you tell the people, I think using AS voids the warranty as well, from what I've heard.

chiyau 3rd May, 2003 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shashkastorm

careful what you tell the people, I think using AS voids the warranty as well, from what I've heard.

wow, i was unaware of that. in that case what compound can i use which does not void the warranty.

lets just hope the staff from the shop i got this from does not visit this forum!! :eek:

cloasters 4th May, 2003 12:18 AM

Not to encourage an RMA of an AMD CPU that you prolly murderized yourself, AMD(as well as SwIntel, maybe) regard only Shin Etsu G-749, more recently G-751 as acceptable thermal paste. Where to get it? Maybe someone knows.

Just in case you haven't read this somewhere, thermal paste should be applied to the top of the slug in a paper thin, uniform layer.