AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/4-amd-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   Socket A to blow its brains out in March (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-motherboards-and-cpus/29572-socket-blow-its-brains-out-march.html)

cadaveca 22nd February, 2005 04:54 PM

Socket A to blow its brains out in March

Found this snippet on the INQ:
Quote:

AFTER YEARS of loving socket A platform, it's time to say goodbye to all those nice chipsets and motherboards based on it. AMD decided to pull the plug on this one simply as it wants to make a big deal out of the Socket 754.
read the full story HERE.

hoinar 22nd February, 2005 06:09 PM

Ouch...and I just bought my socket A sempron :)

cloasters 22nd February, 2005 07:36 PM

So it'll be 64-bit, or nothin'? Hang on, the Socket 754 Form Factor Sempron's are still 32-bit, aren't they? Cost a bit more than the Socket A models!

At least AMD sticks with a socket for a loong time!

Gizmo 22nd February, 2005 07:55 PM

Yeah, current Semprons are 32-bit only, but that will change as soon as Intel decides to release 64-bit capable Celerons. However, even the socket 754 Semprons give good 32-bit performance because of the on-die memory controller. Don't forget that Socket A Semprons are just TBreds rebranded as Semprons.

warhoger 22nd February, 2005 08:28 PM

I personally think This is a really bad idea .. I like the socket "A" AMD there will never be anything like the old barton chips they nice I have never had a problem with mine .

danrok 22nd February, 2005 08:54 PM

All good things come to an end!

GrahamGarside 22nd February, 2005 09:12 PM

hopefully this will see s754 semprons fall in price, they are meant to be the budget end after all

SteveI 22nd February, 2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
hopefully this will see s754 semprons fall in price, they are meant to be the budget end after all

Socket A is cheap, mostly due to mfgr's using a marginal pricing strategy. While socket A mobos have been improved significantly since the KT133, mfgrs have been able to utilitize existing fabs for the most part, making minor tweaks along the way. Only when s754 can reach a certain volume, can pricing go down significantly...

Not really worth my effort, personally. I'll skip s754, thank you very much. Given all my systems running 2.2ghz+, even real dual channel isn't worth it for me. Unless 3ghz+ becomes easy on s939, I'm in no rush... until dual core becomes an option, I don't see the balance shifting on cost/performance/value. I may be sticking with my 4 socket A's for another year or so.... maybe longer.

Gizmo 22nd February, 2005 11:50 PM

I figure on upgrading to a dualy in the fall probably. But I'm basically in the same boat you are, Steve.

danrok 23rd February, 2005 12:30 AM

I get it, single cores are just not good enough for you guys.. LOL

Pandaz3 23rd February, 2005 02:15 AM

I Love my A64, But four Socket A machines here, one in storage, and one to a relative. I love those things and bought my last one after my A64. It's a EPoX with a Mobile...... had I really known about the mobiles I might never have built the 64 yet. (Yes the 64 is better) but I am happy with Socket A.

SteveI 23rd February, 2005 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrok

:p
Sadly enough, except for 2 rigs, all the others in my house have no real good reason to upgrade over the next 2 years at least. They are primarily websurfing, email, DVD, and mild gaming rigs... more than enough power already.

My main rig, and one of the bartons could use all the power I can get... I'm just too cheap to spend a fortune..

OTOH, I also fold 24/7 on all rigs, so if it is cheap for significantly more power, I'll probably upgrade everything I've got. :)

Lazgoat 23rd February, 2005 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrok

Yeah, these Americans like everything twice as big.... :rolling:

hoinar 23rd February, 2005 11:43 AM

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
:evil: :evil: :evil:

too pitty they're not fast as big :p

Streethawk 23rd February, 2005 06:32 PM

and my moby turned up today! you can trust me to be just out of date!

dolanenwindrift 24th February, 2005 12:48 AM

Well I suspect it will be a year or more before you can't find Socket A processors and board. Time to bargain hunt if ya ask me!

Rondog 24th February, 2005 10:01 AM

Yeah, there will a flood of brand new second hand ones at dirt cheap prices. I recommend crusing eBay for them.

XxPowerUserxX 12th March, 2005 02:54 AM

this just really blew every bit of drive ivr got........its taken me wellinto a yr to hit 2.6 and 2.7........now whqt good is it gunna be, when i cant risk smoking the processors.......so voltages and speeds will have to be dropped..........this really sux.....im almost in tears

Pandaz3 12th March, 2005 03:06 AM

I just picked up a second 2600 Mobile, I don't know anything about steppings, not that I had a choice other than to buy or not buy. My last one had a brown PCB this one is green

MietmaN 12th March, 2005 10:59 AM

I'm gonna stick to my Socket A at least until autumn and I'm almost 100% sure I will skip Socket 754, although it seems it still has some future, since new CPUs are coming (well, Turion Mobile is there already). My current PC + notebook is really more than enough for one person. ;)