AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/4-amd-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   My burn-in technique (New files uploaded to the software repository) (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-motherboards-and-cpus/35270-my-burn-technique-new-files-uploaded.html)

Super Nade 30th January, 2006 04:09 PM

My burn-in technique (New files uploaded to the software repository)

My Burn-in process:

Memory is at stock or any guarenteed stable setting. I will be using StressCPU and CPUBurn. Goals are to achieve a higher stable OC at a progressively decreasing VCore, aided by conventional burn-in.For Dual core CPU's, I would recommend burning-in both core simultaneously. Ther is usually one weak core, which may need a bit more work to bring it up to par with the stronger core. Extra burning-in should not hurt, so keep working with both cores simultaneously throught the process. As always, I mean run two instances of the toasting programs

Just to put things in perspective, with my Venice, out-of-the-box, I could hit 2.55GHz at stock volts, but getting to 2.6GHz necissitated the use of 1.65V! This was prior to the burn-in. After the burn-in, I'm comfortabley lodged at 2.77GHz @ 1.64V. I followed this elaborate process with some measure of success. It may or may-not work for you, it did for me.
  • Stock settings for 6hrs (StressCPU)
  • Bump net CPU Freq by 50 MHz for 1 hr (Edit*4 hrs) (CPUBurn with error checking off). If you computer crashes,back off by 20MHz.
  • Check status for 30 min using StressCPU. If you find errors,bump voltage by 0.025 V and repeat step #2.
  • Continue this process till you reach your Magic number/Target Freq (mine is 2.7GHz).
  • Turn off error checking and use CPUBurn for > 14 hrs i.e overnight.
  • Turn off computer, let it cool down and then use Stress CPU to check for errors. Let it run for the rest of the day. If you still see errors, you have not completed setps 1, 2 properly and have jumped the gun. Don't be hasty!
  • Now decrease VCore in steps of 0.025 V and see if you get errors. The idea is to reduce the voltage threshold by this back and forth process.

Many people have reported success with this procedure. Hope it helps you too! The requisite programs have been uploaded into the software repository. They await administrative clearence. :)

dsio 30th January, 2006 05:06 PM

The CPU Burn-In and StressCPU programs have been put up on AOAFiles here: http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=171

You're doing quite good work between this and the GPU thread you created mate.

If you would like to expand this a little further, perhaps creating an article out of it, it could be hosted in the AOA articles section, and posted on the frontpage.

Not a bad explanation at all, and very easy to follow.

XeroHouR 30th January, 2006 06:23 PM

very nice, us Indiananan's have a way with words :)

Super Nade 30th January, 2006 06:42 PM

Thanks dsio :) Xerohour, I don't think my friends would be quite as complimentary. Just stick with me for afewhours and you will know why. :D

I'll write up a short article regarding burn-in processes as a whole. The unfortunate thing about such experiments is that there is no concrete theory to back them up. Almost all evidence is experimental, obtained under widely disparate circumstances and setups. While there is a measure of coherence w.r.t the end product, i.e increase in overclocks, the sheer number of variables involved (different setups contributing to the results) makes it hard to formulate a fool-proof theory.

Some people say burning-in rewires transistors and increases electron-mobility, but I'm highly skeptical of that. If anything, there is a larger chance of dielectric breakdown when burning in! Maybe someone with better insight can truly understand what is going on.

I'm puzzled as to why this does not work with Video cards or with discrete electronic components (diodes etc...) which have been monolithically grown like CPU transistors!

Anyway, I'll put down these thoughts in the article and hope it elicts a few answers. :)

dsio 30th January, 2006 07:00 PM

Have you had a look at MrSeanKon's OC Bible? He's done a great deal of research on burn ins and the results you can get from it. The sheer volume of people he has successfully helped with this basically proves the whole argument.

The OC Bible is on the same page as your burn in files here http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=171

Have a look while you're writing your article and you might find some further information. Look forward to seeing it mate.

Super Nade 30th January, 2006 07:06 PM

Great! I'll take alook at it. I must be off now, lest I fail my exam in German. The joy's of last minute cramming! :D

Super Nade 31st January, 2006 04:35 AM

Well. Good news, I smashed my German exam! :D
On the topic of burning-in, I'm throwing in a idea (without solid theoretical support) regarding increase in the depletion layer of the semi-condutor due to overvolting, somehow gives the system "memory" i.e present state is dependent on the past state. I was reading, Jackson's book "Classical Electrodynamics" Ch 6 and I was looking at the dipole response to an energy field. There, there is a possiblity of the dielectric medium having memory under certain conditions .Although that is an e-m field, I believe there could be some connection at the physical level, to what we see here.

Daniel ~ 31st January, 2006 06:39 AM

Front Page S.N. !
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/index.php

Many thanks!

QSDT 31st January, 2006 06:54 AM

I've had my CPU overclocked now for quite sometime around 1 1/2 years will this burn in process still work for me?

dsio 31st January, 2006 07:13 AM

I don't think so, but I've never really tried a burn in on a non-brand-new chip. MrSeanKon has a fair bit of experience with it, and found that you can burn in used chips, but they arn't as effective as new ones.

I would like you to give it a go, and tell us what you find, if you could?

Daniel ~ 31st January, 2006 09:26 AM

I've added your "burn-in technique" To our FAQ

Super Nade 31st January, 2006 03:34 PM

Wow! Thanks mate. I'll submit a more complete version on Sunday.

Burning in an old CPU would not yeild anything (although I have not gotten a used CPU before). However, if you have NEVER burnt in you CPU, it could help a bit. Maybe about 50MHz (speculation) is there for the taking!

QSDT 1st February, 2006 04:40 AM

I'll give it ago. And let you know.