AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/4-amd-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   Recently replaced motherboard (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-motherboards-and-cpus/6366-recently-replaced-motherboard.html)

nab572 14th June, 2002 02:54 PM

Recently replaced motherboard

I'm hoping someone can offer some insight on this...

Last week, I replaced the motherboard & CPU in a computer. All in all, things are working.... BUT... after about an hour or so working on it, everything locks up & the computer has to be rebooted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

SteveI 14th June, 2002 05:05 PM

Let's take a few steps back. What were the components you swapped out? What are the new components? Did you reinstall the os? What os are you using.

The lock ups could be a lot of different things. Heck, while your at it, what are your other system specs, including psu?

nab572 14th June, 2002 05:07 PM

OK, the new parts are.... AMD Duron 1.0 GHz CPU, motherboard (forget the exact specs on that), 300W PS, 256 MB PC133 SDRAM... I think that was it.

Didn't reinstall the O/S. That was my 1st thought.

Thing is... I let it run for a long time & it was fine, but it locks up while working.

SteveI 14th June, 2002 07:02 PM

It could be because your OS had the appropriate drivers loaded for the old board... when you swapped mobos, the os attempted on the fly to identify all the new parts, and replace them with the appropriate drivers. This is not foolproof. Depending on the OS, old drivers, and how close your new parts are, you will have varying degrees of success. Your registry may be all mucked up, so that it loads a lot of stuff that is unnecessary, and then causes conflicts that are not always apparent.

Since you can boot up, I recommend backing up all important data, get all your install and driver disks within arms reach, and start with a clean slate (format c: ). Troubleshooting, driver by driver can be a mess. (Then again, I'm lazy and always look for the easiest way to avoid problems).

cloasters 14th June, 2002 08:24 PM

Some folks simply boot into Safe Mode and remove all the drivers, as the last thing before removing the mainboard that will be replaced.

Some people format their c:\ drive right after they install the new mainboard.

Those that want to make sure that the new mainboard works to the best of its ability fdisk their HDD right after installing the new mobo. Then they format the new partition(s). The issue is that the HDD still "thinks" that the old mainboard is still in the box. A new board's new BIOS needs to be acknowledged, IMHO.

nab572 14th June, 2002 08:51 PM

Well unfortunately removing all the drivers before removing the old mb wasn't an option... the old mb was fried.

:(

Random Nonsense 18th June, 2002 04:59 PM

Can you let us know the temperature its running at? It could be something simple like a heatsink not seated properly!